Brew club meetings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
What are your brew club meetings like?

I think ours are very untypical. We had one where no one drank at all. I usually try to bring something, either HB or craft brew, or commercial I haven't tried but want to.

Our meetings are small, usually just three of us in attendance. We're also a brew club as a subset of the SCA (a medieval research and re-creation group). We have internal judging and rank advancements. So things are sometimes brought to be judged, but that averages about every other meeting.

There's usually a little talk about upcoming events where we will be offering tastings. Discussion of the last and next competitions. I, the newest member, usually start a discussion about research and ducumentation (a requirement for any entry) to be judged

How do your meetings run?

We usually have about 20+ in attendance at each meeting, nearly everyone brings either homebrew or commercial examples they would like to share. We have mingle time among ourselves, members usually bring an entree, side, desserts, and we eat drink and be merry. Then the club president starts the meeting talking about stuff that is going on like events, competitions, things going on in our club. There is often a technical discussion where either someone in the club will talk about a technical topic, or we bring someone in to talk about something. There could be a tasting or judging depending on what is going on. Then after the meeting we continue to taste/share/discuss homebrewing among ourselves. We meet once a month and its typically at a homebrew store.

Our meetings range from 15-25 people depending on the turnout and we hold them at various craft beer bars in town. Generally discounts on crafts are provided during meetings. We also discuss any events that we are planning or would like to participate in. Then sometimes we talk about certain aspects of brewing ex: kegging, bottling off a keg, carbing methods, beer styles.

After that at every meeting, which is once a month, we have a club judging for beer of the month. Then it's usually hang out until you feel like leaving.

We usually have about 50 women and men. We have met at members homes but now are meeting at a German cultural center that can accommodate us more comfortably. A few times a year, we'll meet at a production brewery or brew pub.

Lots of folks bring beers to share, lots of time to share and socialize. We have a buffet dinner. Then the "meeting " begins, which can include announcements of upcoming events and competitions, someone sharing something brewing related, etc. Each meeting has a monthly style and we do a guided tasting of a variety of homebrewed and commercial examples of the style.

We do ours (www.tampabaybeers.org) at a bar owned by one of the members on the first Tueday of each month. We usually have 30+ in attendance (our club has over 150 members). We discuss competition - both results and upcoming comps - and cover other events that we can or will be involved in. Most of us bring homebrews to share and have critiqued. We are fortunate to have two BJCP master judges in our club so we are able to get assistance and input on what to do to improve our beers and also which categories to enter in comps and such if there is a question of that nature. Generally an all around good time.

Ours is really low key. Meet at the taproom of our local microbrewery. 6-12 of us. Generally 50-75% of us bring a sample or two. We usually start out by having a beer or two from the bar, then sample everyone's beers. Comment, critique, compliment on what we are trying. Basically B.S. about brewing, sharing tips, etc. for 1-2 hours. No formal anything. No minutes, No planning, no events. Basically just a group of homebrewers getting together, drinking beer, sharing beer, asking questions and sharing ideas

Our local meetings are pretty informal, and also only occur a few times a year depending on who's hosting. We encourage people to bring their best and their worst then we talk about what's good and how to achieve those goals as well as what's bad and how to fix problems. The more experienced tend to lead the discussion but it's far from structured.

Oh, and Halbrust. Hi from Aethelmearc!

I started brewing a year ago and went to a meeting that my local club has in like February at our LHBS. There was about 30 people. I unfortunately ran into a couple know it alls who totally turned me off to the club and I haven't been back. First impressions are huge.

I started brewing a year ago and went to a meeting that my local club has in like February at our LHBS. There was about 30 people. I unfortunately ran into a couple know it alls who totally turned me off to the club and I haven't been back. First impressions are huge.

Have you found another club? It would be a shame to let two people keep you from gaining the incredible benefits a club can offer.

I belong to two clubs. Club number one meets in a local homebrew store, we'll have about 10 people or so including the store owners, and we'll drink and critique member beers, and the occasional commercial offering if someone is out. The second club meets at a bar, we have about 15-20 people at a given meeting, we start with a mini-lecture (20 minutes or so on things like water chemistry, aeration techniques, etc), and then we'll hang around drinking member beers (and the occasional beer from the bar, maybe eat a burger, and so on). :tank:

You are likely to find these in every club, classroom, workplace, etc.
Just talk to the others, great benefit.

My HBC meetings can be from 3 to 20 people. We power through "official business" as fast as possible so we can get to the social. However more often than not, someone will bring up "official business" as they think of things during the social.

I normally will bring a growler to share of something...Maybe 2. My meeting is tonight. Sometimes it is at a bar and sometimes at a members home. If at a bar I always try to buy a few new craft brews (since we meet at craft beer bars). Tonight I should finish my 200th different beer and get the T-shirt that goes with it. :D

Also the LHBS gives a 10% discount to any club member. I am also an employee of said LHBS.

So the presence of a couple people that you don't like makes it impossible to find any benefit from being part of that group? It sounds like you are not a part of any group anywhere because people are highly variable and there's no such thing as a completely harmonious group. Go back and find the value.

Club meetings for the club I am involved with the most are monthly. We would meet until early this month at our LHBS/brew pub. The meetings consist of discussing next brew day event (we try to have several) and whatever the topic of the meeting will be. It mostly consists of us drinking a pint or two from the brewery then sampling each others brews while interacting and discussing techniques and tips. 80% of those who come bring homebrew to sample and share. We are very informal for the most part and we have anywhere from 15-50 people at each meeting that vary from newbies just getting started to people who have brewed for years.

I recently also joined another smaller club. They meet at a brewery or at a members home depending on the month with 15 or so in attendance. They are a bit more formal and will have a topic for the month such as starters, DIY projects, events, and then sample each others brews.

I think anyone who brews should find and join a local club. Even if you don't learn anything from the members that help you along the path to creating superb brews meeting other like minded individuals who share the same passion can be priceless. :mug:

Back