Freezing wort starter storage ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdd12364

Reaction score
I am looking to make up some 1 qt. wort for starters & plan on freezing them , what containers do people use to freeze & store wort in ? I have heard of using freezer bags but am curious to other options . :fro:

The past two batches I have frozen in the gallon freezer bags, as they only hold a liter of liquid or so. This is a great idea if you do all grain already, just rinse your grains one more time and you will get some low grav wort, free starter wort!

It takes a while to freeze, much longer than water though, so just be patient but it works great.

I assume there are no issues doing this?? All of the important enzymes are still going to remain and give the yeast enough food to munch on??

I have read you need to add glycerine to the yeast if you are going to freeze

Yeah freezing the wort is ok but the yeast will explode unless you treat it with glycerin, just make some slants if you want to keep it long term.

As far as thawing out the frozen wort, just put the bag in the sink. They take longer to freeze due to lower freezing point, and thaw faster. What Ive found is that when you start to thaw it, the sugar melts fast and the water stays frozen longer, usually with the break material.

What I do is take the ice chunks out of the thawed malt sugar, and just dillute to the appropriate grav. for your starter application. Way cheaper than DME (considering it's mostly free if you have a decent gravity beer 1.060 or higher worth of grains, there is usually enough sugar to give it one more good rinsing.) You don't have to worry about tannin extraction or other fears for extended sparging. I have also just poured cool water over the grains, to rinse them more. One extra gallon is all you are looking to get.

sorry if i'm rambling here, but I just really believe in this, mostly because I'm cheap and it is stupid easy.

I vote for ziplock bags.

Bags are probably going to be the best use of space... They will conform to their container and you can pull air out of them.

Any jar or Tupperware you use will just waste space.

I just froze 6 half liter Dr Pepper bottles and 2 two liter bottles. I give them a little squeeze before putting the lid on to allow for expanding.

I found the 500ml containers too small and am now trying out the 1.9L containers.
I am freezing 1.2L of 1.050 wort and then when I go to use it just dilute to 1.5 L before boiling. (so i get 1.5L of 1.040) I have standardized all my stepups to 1.5L

Back