Second fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
Have made a gallon of rhubarb wine that had appeared to have finished fermenting I poured a small sample from the Demi John on Sunday and I have just looked at my demo John and it appears to have started fermenting again a couple of questions is this a bad thing ? Why did it appear to have stopped ? And was it me taking a sample and disturbing the yeast at the bottom that has reignited the fermentation ? And help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin.

it might just be dissolved gasses (mostly carbon dioxide) bubbling out since you disturbed it. To be sure if fermentation has started up again check the SG over a couple of days to see.

Hmm ok thanks guys I don't have a hydrometer I have not long started brewing at home and haven't bought one yet so I will just have to wait and see I think I am going to buy one soon though it does look like its producing quite a bit of C02 there are quite a few bubbles and it looks like there is a little foam on the top on the plus side it tasted delicious when I tried it :)

if you are going to do any kind of homebrewing a hydrometer is essential.

Back