Who needs a blichmann? When you can build a Bradford!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbradford

Reaction score
I have been thinking about why the heck my keggles have to look like kegs that I chopped apart, even if they do look kind of cool in an industrial kind of way.

This is what i came up with a couple of months ago, but finally worked on today.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

very presentable.

Any reaction to the wood when heated?
React okay, or TBD?

I am all electric, so nothing gets over 205 degrees (high elevation). The wood also acts like insulation on the tanks. Gonna do all 4 (ya my system is a 4 tank 3 pump herms system) tanks like this, and they will look sweet when plumped with ball valves, herms coil, thermometers, sight glasses, etc. I am stoked.

4 pine 1x4's dont weigh much... actually, cutting the top off, and adding the wood may be a wash... not really, just wishfull thinking...

Looks nice! I found this on the 'net for wood:

The R-value for wood ranges between 1.41 per inch (2.54 cm) for most softwoods and 0.71 for most hardwoods. Ignoring the benefits of the thermal mass, a 6-inch (15.24 cm) thick log wall would have a clear-wall (a wall without windows or doors) R-value of just over 8.

How are you going to mount the heating element around the wood? Are you just mounting w/ a larger diameter hole in the wood to allow for your heater electrical enclosure?

Gonna have to tear it down to drill for elements and valve... Holes will be slightly larger to accommodate:)

I used 4 1x4 pine 8 foot boards that i cut into 19" peices and then ripped 5.5 degree angles on both edges before splitting the board at a 5.5 degree angle down the middle...

Only needed 3.5 boards to make about 32 peices..

Used an 8 foot peice of 1/4 inch all thread that i cut in half and then used a cable tension peice and a peice of 1 inch bolt to fasten...

Total cost was about $32 :)

Very cool, and different from most keggles you see. Can't wait to see the final product with everything plumbed in.

Cheers.

yup...standard turnbuckle with the right hand threaded end onto the all thread... Shoud be finishing two more tomorrow...

Here is the update with three of them finished, stained, and plumbed... I did the stand also, and am finished with the exception of adding a few valves and male quick disconnects to the system. I may be adding a bleeder valve at the bottom of the stand to get the pumps to prime better also... The fourth vessel idea is probably shelved for the near future :)

brewstand2.jpg

Looks great, but I wouldn't do anything to make mine heavier. My back aches just looking at that!

Exactly what I was thinking. Looks really cool though. What do you do about about stuff (grain, wort) that gets between teh wood and your keggle? Cleaning the inside of these kegs can be difficult enough. Not sure I'd want to be starting my own bio-garden on the outside as well . . . . Still - looks really cool :fro:

Ya, might have to fill in the gap with silicone or something :)

Why is everyone worried about weight? Added maybe 8 to a 20lb vessel... Not an issue:)

Any thought on staining the wood? It may not look better or worse, just curious if you thought of any Burn-In or staining type additives?

Looks great though!

It is stained with a light cherry stain... Kind of like it looking like a red oak or something as it is.... Thanks for the compliments, I am really pleased so far :)

Back