New guy question re:Rootbeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigger103

Reaction score
I am having a poor time of it making root beer the way I like it....I am force carbonating water in a keg and then making small batches in my frige with one gallon plastic bottles that I can pressurize using a cap with a Schrader type air fitting and a special fitting for my regulator hose that allows it to work. I am pressurizing my plastic bottles to about 20 lbs.....the pre carbonated water is from my keg that is pressurized at 50 lbs and has sat around for 3-4 days. what my question is I am trying to get (a for lack of better way of describing it) a malty flavor since I am force carbonating and not using yeast I am wondering if I could add a very small amount of yeast to the finished product and allow it to finish and will it give it the Old fashioned flavor I am looking for? I also have seen a product called foam enhancer???? What is it and is it just for fermenting? Thank you for your info......looking forward to a long enlightening relationship

Recipe? I'm not sure the yeast would give you the flavor - my guess is it's the extract. I've found most of root beer extracts tend to be more spice/herbal than creamy/vanilla like A&W or Sprecher. Actually, I think the spice/herbal is the more "old fashioned" flavor. You can find the more "malty" extracts online - but I forget where, sorry

I bought some Liquorice root to try out one of the recipes I foundon this site. The extract I am using is made by Shanks in Lancaster PA. I am going to try another to see if its the extract that I am using. I bought it at an Amish store locally. I had some root beer at a Renaissance fair a few weeks ago that was like nothing i ever had. I can't explain the flavor but it was defiantly not store bought. That was probably what inspired me to get into this.

Cool. Well, if you do find it, be sure to post! I've yet to find a recipe that my wife loves more than commercial root beer...

It's molasses, Mix your molasses in right before carbonating.

This will give you a thicker head, and a malty flavor. I promise!

If you REALLY want to go out on a limb, Tamari (A type of Soy Sauce) has a strong malty flavor. But it's ultra salty of course, so you would use VERY LITTLE. Of course I've never tried this, just an idea i've had.

Molases really made a difference. I also added a little Ainse and a little Vanilla. My wife didn't like it but neighbors did........When I make a bigger batch this weekend I will post my recipe....

Ok today was the first time I made a keg for a crowd......I made 5 gals for a christmas party

I force carbonated 4 gallons of water for 2 days at 60 lbs

to it, I added another 3/4 gallon of water with the following:
I used 4 oz Shanks Extract (Lancaster, PA)
9 1/2 cups raw cane sugar
1/2 cup dark molasas
1/4 tsp ainse
2 tbs vailla extract
heated the water on stove and added sugar and molases to water until disolved. turned off heat and added rest of ingredients.........added it slowly to my carbonated water about a pint at a time then closed up keg and pressurized it then opened up keg and added more repeat until all was in keg............if you try to add it too fast it erupts like a volcano......just sayin.....

It was a huge hit it was gone in no time........was told by co workers to buy more kegs and do again this summer at picnic..........It was a good day.................

Back