Oatmeal Stout Classic Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 65
Tasting Notes
Nice smooth oatmeal stout..
10# Maris Otter
1.5# Flaked Oats
14 oz Crystal 60L
12 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz roasted Barley(500srm)
2 oz EKG 60 min boil
Irish Ale Yeast

i just made one almost identical to this. used jamil's from the brewing classic styles book. I used wl 002 yeast, though. It went from 1.060 to 1.020, both a little higher than anticipated but fine by me. Will be drinking it in about a week.

This turned out very nice. It was based on a few recipes including jamils. I mashed at 151-152 and it went down to 1.012 FG. I like my stouts a bit dry so this turned out nice. 1 week in keg and it was great..it is high on the end of oats so rice hulls helps but the mash is gummy for sure.
J

I just brewed this today and pitched into a whitelabs irish ale yeast cake from an irish red ale. It started fermenting about 45 minutes later and there is already a thick layer of krausen.

This is a god damn nice beer. I brewed it because it was the most simple oatmeal stout recipe on this site and it is great. I will brew this again, but i will roast the oats in the oven next time around.

This is a god damn nice beer. I brewed it because it was the most simple oatmeal stout recipe on this site and it is great. I will brew this again, but i will roast the oats in the oven next time around.

It is simple..roasting the oats would be nice..It fits on the sweeter smoother side of oatmeal stouts...If you like more roasty stouts I would up the roasted malt and decrease the crystal malt a bit..

Jay

I'm thinking about doing a PM of this. Swap out some of the MO for LME, leave a couple #s of it in with the other grains and the oats.

My damn LHBS stopped stocking liquid yeasts because they were having to deal with too many expired packages.....
Is there a yeast on the list (what I have in-house) below I could sub for the Irish Ale yeast to achieve similar results (or atleast make a good oatmeal stout)?

WLP002 - English ale yeast
WLP013 - London Ale yeast
1056-american ale
nottingham
S-05
S-04
various wheat yeasts.....

I just made a PM version of this and added some chocolate to the boil. Might have miscalculated my conversion from AG to PM though. Came out at 1.070. We'll hafta see what it does now.

I'm brewing this tomorrow with S-04. I actually cut the MO back a pound due to the fact that I am using about 3.5 gallons of maple sap along with the 4.5 gallons of water for this recipe. Apparently using maple sap in place of water will raise your OG about 10 points, so I'm figuring on an extra 4-5 points from that. it won't impart much if any flavor though.

Is this brewed with a single infusion mash? And what about mashing around 158 if I dont want it to be crazy dry? Also addition of chocolate and cherries...any thoughts?

Resurrecting an old thread here but I think I'm going to brew this biab style as my first ag attempt; and as a 2.5 gallon batch. I pretty much have the recipe converted to where I need it but wondering about the mashing temp and for how long? I see someone mashed at 151-152 but they don't say for how long. Any advice? Thanks!

Mashed for 60 minutes and came out a tad short on the og but it'll be ok. Added some unsweetened bakers chocolate too. This is going to be a good beer. Thanks for the recipe!

Could you possibly post your converted ingredients for the 2.5 gallon batch .. How many grains/hops and water if possible? I brew stove top so any 5 plus gallon recipes are out of the question..

Oh man, discovered this at just the right time. Going to do this one next. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Could you possibly post your converted ingredients for the 2.5 gallon batch .. How many grains/hops and water if possible? I brew stove top so any 5 plus gallon recipes are out of the question..

Sure!

4 lbs Maris Otter
.6 lb flaked oats
.35 lb crystal 60
.30 lb chocolate malt
.20 lb roasted barley

.5-1 oz East Kent Goldings @ 60 min

Irish ale yeast

From my notes it looks like I mashed @ 152 for 60 min in 3 gallons of water and sparged back up to 3.5 gallons after the mash

When I do that again I'm going to mash in a little less water. Missed the og by a tad.

discgolfin,
After reading your recipe and looking at several others I decided I liked the balance of yours and so I created a GF recipe based on yours: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/ag-gf-stout-365062/
My grains are ready/roasted, they just need time to rest and then I will brew it just in time for the new year... If you have any updates to this recipe pls let me know.

cheers.

Brewed this today. Got an OG of 1.078! I'm new to all grain and have been doing BIAB, and I think I might have cut the water a little short. I'm actually pretty stoked about the higher OG, I've done a few batches where I screwed up and it was too weak so I'm happy to be on the stronger side for now. Looking forward to bottling this in a few weeks and enjoying it in early 2013. Thanks again for the recipe.

Brewed this today. Got an OG of 1.078! I'm new to all grain and have been doing BIAB, and I think I might have cut the water a little short. I'm actually pretty stoked about the higher OG, I've done a few batches where I screwed up and it was too weak so I'm happy to be on the stronger side for now. Looking forward to bottling this in a few weeks and enjoying it in early 2013. Thanks again for the recipe.

Brewed this again this past weekend. I wanted to go for an imperial version so I upped the grist a little. My OG was about 1.080 almost 1.082. Was like motor oil! I added some unsweetened bakers chocolate too for good measure. The regular batch I did a few months ago came out great so I have high hopes for the imperial version.

I just brewed this one yesterday, upped the marris otter to 12# as I usually end up brewing a 6 gallon batch (and lose some in trub/bottling), but wondered how much and what kind of chocolate have you guys used?

I put in 8 oz of Ghiardeli 100% cacao bakers chocolate right at flameout.

I use unsweetened bakers chocolate; don't recall what brand though. Usually about an ounce per gallon.

Tried this for the first time today. Just finished up. Hit an OG of 1.064. My only miss was a mash temp of 154, I got up to 156(was shooting for 158). Hopefully it will be full bodied enough. I am stoked to try this one out. My first oatmeal stout. I cannot wait to get this on tap.

I've been trying to find a nice roasty oatmeal stout for a while now. Looks like this simple recipe may fit the bill. Going to brew up 2.5 gallons when I free up a fermenter! Thanks!

I am also looking for a recommendation for the best yeast to use with this? I have access to s04,05, Nottingham, and wyeast at my lhbs. I would prefer to stick with a dry, so I was thinking s04, but I have really been happy with Nottingham in my other beers, any reason to choose one over the other?

I just racked this to secondary and split it to make one half an espresso stout. It was really thin tasting at this point, hopefully that changes.

Holy crap. Really happy with how this came out. I've tested a few and though it's only been 2 1/2 weeks, it's awesome. Can't wait to taste it in another week or two when it ages a little more. Big thanks for the recipe, much appreciated. This is a perfect winter beer.

Just brewed this and got 1.075 O.G. then I entered I to efficiency calculator and realized that I only had 76% efficiency. Looks like this was supposed to be 1.077 at 75% efficiency! Guess I should have entered it first and realized this was a 8% beer! Wowzers. Or I did something wrong! Lol

Sub- This looks good, I want to try this out sometime. Hopefully soon, but I have so many I want to brew up. Good thing I bought an extra fermenter!

Just brewed this and got 1.075 O.G. then I entered I to efficiency calculator and realized that I only had 76% efficiency. Looks like this was supposed to be 1.077 at 75% efficiency! Guess I should have entered it first and realized this was a 8% beer! Wowzers. Or I did something wrong! Lol

Just a little follow up. I couldn't get this to ferment past 1.022 with s04 so I kegged it a few days ago. Initial taste after a week in the keg is promising. Very smooth and silky with a mild roast character, though a little sweet due to my high fg. I think in another two weeks this should be really good. I'll post back then.

discgolfin said:
10# Maris Otter
1.5# Flaked Oats
14 oz Crystal 60L
12 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz roasted Barley(500srm)
2 oz EKG 60 min boil
Irish Ale Yeast

It looks like this has been a real popular recipe for a classic oatmeal stout. Any suggestions on the hop schedule? (1 oz 60 min -1oz 1 min?)

I'm adding this to my "to Brew" list. Do I simply add 8oz of unsweetened chocolate powder to the wort or should i disolve it then add it?

D_Nyholm said:
Just a little follow up. I couldn't get this to ferment past 1.022 with s04 so I kegged it a few days ago. Initial taste after a week in the keg is promising. Very smooth and silky with a mild roast character, though a little sweet due to my high fg. I think in another two weeks this should be really good. I'll post back then.

What was your mash and fermentation temperatures? Curious, as I've had some attenuation issues lately and will likely brew my next stout similar to this recipe.

Back