Stone Ruination, Extract or AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTBrewer

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon mash tun and can get close to 14 pounds into it, but I prefer a thinner mash and room for error, so I try and stay around 11-12 pounds grain. Want to make the BYO Ruination clone which for AG is 14.6 2 row and 1 lbs crystal.

Any reason I couldn't do 10 pound of 2 row and the 1 lb crystal, then add 3.7 lbs (4.6 x .8) golden lme? Or would I maybe be better off just going with the extract recipe provided?

I think that would be suffecient, I would add LME with about 15 min left in the boil, to aviod carmelizing it on the bottom of the brew pot.

One of the reasons for doing partial mashes is your tun isn't big enough for big beers. Even with a 48-qt tun, I still do PM for barleywines to avoid really long boils. I think you've got a good plan.

So I went with:

BYO calls for 14.6 pounds of 2 row and 1 pound of caramel 20. I am going to us 10.5 pounds of 2 row, 1 pound of caramel 20 and add 3.15 pounds of Gold LME at 15 minutes.

Mashed in at 156 instead of 149, but decided not to adjust. Hit 1.076 OG and it fermented real fast to 1.018 by day 12-14. 6 days dry hop in secondary and just bottled it...while I was sipping a $7 22oz real one. Both are oh so TASTY. Highly recommend the BYO recipe.

Back