Strawberry Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude123

Reaction score
How does this sound for 1 gallon of strawberry melomel? :

2 kilos honey
2lb strawberry in primary
2lb strawberry in secondary.
Lalvin D-47

Mix warm water and honey to 1 gal, pour must over 2lb of strawberry.

After 24 hours: add ¼ tsp yeast energizer and ½ tsp yeast nutrient and stir well.

After 48 hours: add ¼ tsp yeast energizer and ½ tsp yeast nutrient and stir well.

After 72 hours: Add ¼ tsp yeast energizer and ½ tsp yeast nutrient and stir well.

Ferment for 3-4 weeks. I have a question about this, some recipes seem to indicate that I should rack to secondary after around 2 weeks, once the strawberries turn white. How long should I let this ferment in primary on the first strawberries until racking to secondary strawberries

Rack into secondary on strawberries. Another question here, how long should I let it sit on these strawberries? Should I bulk age it on the strawberries then bottle after 6+ months, or should I let it sit on the berries until they go white and then rack to tertiary? Normally I would rack to tertiary for clearing, but this batch is fairly small, and racking that much I will lose a fair amount of mead. If this turns out well, then I will make a 5g batch and aim for clarity and presentation. This is more of a taste test mead.

Any help for the above or advice on anything I missed?

I racked the hot water (plus cold water) and honey on top on the strawberries in the recipe that I followed. This was for 5 gallons though. I fermented in this way till the Strawberries where white and then racked them to secondary. If I do this recipe again, I think I will try 3/4 of the total strawberries in the primary and 1/4 in the secondary. The recipe came out great, but fermentation was pretty slow in part to some of the things I didn't know about mead.

2 kilos = 4.4lbs honey, in one gallon. You might want to try stepping your honey, or adding the honey a bit at a time instead of all at once so you don't overwhelm the yeast. Be sure to use yeast nutrient/energizer/DAP. You might even want to try staggering your nutrient additions too. D-47 has a tolerance of 14%, though I've heard of it crapping out at 12%, it's just something to think about. Regards, GF.

Thanks guys. Yea, the honey might be a bit much, as it was originally supposed to be a batch of prickly pear mead from papazians book, and that is whats called for.

Ok, switch to Lalvin EC-1118, and go with staggered nutirent addition from hightest FAQ. Maybe reduce the amount of honey to 1.5k? Anything else?

Latest posts

Back