Pear update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
Racked off the pear I started a couple weeks back. Don't have as much sediments as I figured. On the first batch I just put fruit in the bag and let it go. Second batch I ran thru a food processor. Here is a picture of what wouldn't fit in the five gallon carboy from the second batch. I actually have only about half as much fallout on it than the first. I do have a question about the color difference. The small jug is the very last of what I could squeeze out of the bag I used for a filter. The clear glass jug is same as what went into the five gallon batch. I topped everything up with white grape after racking. Any ideas on what caused the color difference? Mike
101_4964.jpg

No ideas? One other thing is the Winetalk forum that sponsors this forum all say to run the pears thru a processor. I don't think it hurt anything. I got more juice and less lees that way. Mike

Mike....are you sure the Old Orchard one did not have some Raspberry Lemonade in it when you transferred over the remaining volume from the pear? It looks like a rose'. Strange.

No it was cleaned with sanitizer before I filled it. I thought maybe it was almost pure juice as it was the last bit I could squeeze from the mesh bag I filtered it in. The color is actually more of a whiskey color. Mike

Hmm, weird. Were the contents of the two ever the same color?

Did you check a sample of the Old Orchard container for oxidization? What type of cleanser and sanitizer was used with the container in question? From the photo it reminds me of sherry.

No they never were the same. I used One step no rinse I got from the hbs. How do you check for oxidization ? Thanks Mike

I was taught to pour a sample into a wine glass and then hold a piece of white paper behind the glass. Tilt the glass so the fluid level is at an angle and look at the outer most aspect of the liquid, where the color of the liquid transitions to the white of the background. As you visually go from liquid to white background you would want to notice the very outer part of the liquid, make sure the sample is tilted. That outer aspect where it touches the glass as tilted and looked at against a white backgroung....is the area that will tell you if the liquid is oxidized. If that area is clear the liquid is fine, but if that area has a brown tint to it then the liquid is oxidized. Works like a charm.

I put some in a glass and it looks to be okay. I think it just may be almost pure juice since i squeezed it out of the remaining fruit and pulp. Mike

Back