Artificial sweeteners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck21

Reaction score
I've got a cider that is about to finish fermenting and I want to sweeten it at the end with some kind of artificial sweetener. I was planning on using xylitol, till I read about the possible side effects it can have (the runs :(), so now I am leaning towards Stevia or Truvia. Anyone used either of these? If so, would you recommend them? Any other artificial sweeteners anyone would recommend? In the future I am wanting to go the natural sweetener route (adding concentrate, stopping fermentation at a higher gravity, etc.), but this being my first cider I decided to go the easier way. Thanks!

I've used stevia. I added two tsp for a 5 gallon batch and thought it was perfect. I then primed with aj concentrate and bottled. After carving, threw a few in the fridge. The sweetness at least for me really came out when chilled and carbed.

Overall I like it and its natural. Be careful of oversweetening it though.

Side note, my second 5 gal batch I added 3 cans of Apple/Cranberry concentrate and one aj concentrate. It is sweet and tart, and a great hit at thanksgiving and the holidays in general. For this I bottled and pasteurized 3 days later. Read the pasturization sticky. Even if you don't intend to do it, there is a whole collective wealth of cider making info in it for anyone.

are you bottling or kegging? will this cider be carbonated?

I will be bottling and carbonating, planning on just using dextrose to prime, but what divi did sounds good to, so I may consider using aj concentrate.

I'm totally new to this but you could try lactose, according to the brew-masters around that I have asked it will sweeten without fermenting and without the side effects of artificial's. Also I haven't tried mine yet (just started it) but apparently it doesn't even remind you of milk.

Back