Slow start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam's Apples

Reaction score
Just started my second batch of homebrew last night.

Everything went 100% this time and I did several things that should improve the brew, including adding more malt and lots less sugar, cooling the wort down a lot quicker (thanks to an ice bath and our fridge) and purchasing a proper boiling pot (which is huge so no spills!).

I also aerated the mixture llike a madman, before recording a O.G. of 1.045, which beats my previous attempt of 1.028! (probably mis-recorded).

The only variable that probably isn't better this time around is the heat in my computer room, which is now hovering around 68f, compared to a 75f when I brewed before xmas. This is what I am posting about really. I remember airlock activity after about 7/8 hours first time around, but I have no activity yet and I pitched at 2am last night/this morning (yes, 2am! - decided I couldn't wait until the weekend to brew). Shoudl I worry yet? (I can hear the screams of no, but I am worried!)

Also, I'm using nearly double the malt this time around, but less sugar so the overall fermentables are only slighlty higher. The chap in the homebrew shop said the yeast might struggle if I use too much malt, so I added 2 packets just to be sure. I rehydrated it and it was frothing like a good 'un before I pitched. The yeast is Muntons Ale yeast (green packet). What are people thoughts on this? Should I add another packet as I have a spare?

Cheers

I'd be terribly worried. IN fact, you may need to quarantine your neighborhood.

J/K. Yeast can take up to 48 hours before you notice them working. Just because you don't see a krausen doesn't mean that there's not activity.

Ha, ok I get it.

I have a fermenting bin as a primary, with an airlock inserted in the lid. I'm pretty sure I can see some residue on the top of the wort and the lid is pushed out as if gas is being released, but I haven't heard any of that lovely bubbling yet.

Anyoe have any opinions on the temp range or the yeast brand/type?

I'm hoping that the yest doesn't struggle with the malt content (only 3lb of DME) like the HBS guy said...

Cheers

Haha!! I just heard activity!

I'm sure hearing that first fermentation bubbling must be my favourite part of the whole brewing process.

Bubbles are quite far apart, but that may be cos of the temp..? Hopefully my yeast is good enough to deal with that DME.

Cheers

I had a batch last night go from 2 bubbles per minute to 1 per second in less than two hours! When the yeasties take hold they REALLY take hold!

If you are worried about temp stuff wrap a blanket around your fermenter. I am using a fleece blanket to help keep my yeast warmer. once it gets going the temp rises a bit more. I am currently brewing a porter and it took a bit to get going, but then *BANG* off it went and it hasn't looked back. Good luck and enjoy

Adam's Apples said:
Also, I'm using nearly double the malt this time around, but less sugar so the overall fermentables are only slighlty higher. The chap in the homebrew shop said the yeast might struggle if I use too much malt, so I added 2 packets just to be sure.

Strange, I've never heard that. I have never used sugar in my beer at all, and have only ever used malt extract and grain. To me, that's the only way to do it. Malt extract *is* a type of sugar, and highly fermentable.

I wouldn't worry too much about a temp of 68. I'm on my 2nd batch of ale, fermented in my basement at around 65F and rapid fermentation started up within 24-36 hours in both cases.

I have my beer in a room that is 63 degrees, and it's happily fermenting. The temperature of the beer is 66 degrees! I know it seems better if it's warmer because it goes faster, but that isn't the case at all! You want to be COOLER rather than warmer in most cases. Try to be near the bottom of the yeast's fermenting range, and your beer will be much better! 75 degrees is rather warm, and the fermentation itself raises the temperature, so your beer might have been fermenting at 80 degrees! I don't know the fermentation range of Muttons ale yeast- but most ale yeasts are 60-72 degrees.

As far as the LHBS telling you the sugar thing- that is the most ridiculous thing he could say! I've NEVER use sugar in my beer. We've talked about this before on this forum, and some people have done that in certain circumstances (a really big beer for example). But the whole point of beer making is that the yeast eats the sugars in the malt to produce alcohol and CO2.

So, I'm sure the beer is fine!

Thanks for the reassuring words all.

My beer is definately fermenting, but it's going a lot slower than the first batch (has never been more than 1 bubble every 5 mins since start). The only differences between batches are 1.) slight temp difference as stated, 2.) higher malt content and 3.) two packets of yeast in there, both of which are rehydrated!

To be honest the pace of the ferment doesn't bother me - as long as it all ferments eventually and I get a decent F.G.

This is only my second brew and I must say I am dying to get a really agressive ferment like people report, where blow off tubes are needed etc. Maybe when I try different kits and recipes/ yeasts etc I will experience this. I just want to make sure that it's not something I'm doing wrong to give things a slow start.

Cheers

Took a garvity reading as the slow ferment had started to wind me up a bit! Brew is at 1.017 from an O.G. of 1.045 - so I guess a fair bit of the ferment has been done already, despite few bubbles from the airlock.

I re-checked the seals on the fermenter and everything is good. When I press the lid I get a bubble and there has been some foam/krausen on top of it.

I guess I either have a nocturnal brew thats fermenting while I sleep! or one that is producing few bubbles...at least the sugars & malt are being eaten by the yeast.

Adam's Apples said:
This is only my second brew and I must say I am dying to get a really agressive ferment like people report, where blow off tubes are needed etc.

I used to think the same thing. The anxiety can be tough. But Lorena is dead on right: Lower temperatures make smoother, better tasting homebrew IMHO. I got so I could get active fermentation within hours and while this made me feel good, the beer tended to turn out estery with high diacetals. That was my banana beer period. Great if you like fruity beer and ale with a bite. Once, I chilled out a bit (ha!), didn't sweat the fermentation start so much and kept my temperatures lower, my beer vastly improved. Go low. Go slow.

My latest batch is fermenting quite happily between 60 and 62 degrees, clicking over slowly and steadily. Mellow fermentation means mellow beer. At least that is my opinion. (By the way, directions on this batch's yeast (Wyeast #1098), state that optimum fermentation temperature is between 60 and 65 degrees. I've fermented it below 60 with no problem, but I don't recommend you do that at home.)

Back