How close will Bottling Day Beer taste to When it's done Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrictlyIPAs

Reaction score
I took a sneak peak sip while bottling and it tasted like" Satan's Anus." How close will this taste resemble my beer a month from now?

I'm hoping that bottle conditioning will dramatically change the taste of my very first brew... :drunk:

Generally speaking the beer can change quite a bit from bottling day. It would be more helpful if you described what Satan's Anus actually tastes like, that way we could better decern if the problem is a) just needs time to mellow b) you brewed a style you don't like or c) there is something legitimately wrong with your beer.

Big differences. The progression is usually Satan's anus, then Satan's balls, then Satan's armpit, then Santa's armpit, and then, finally Santa's lips.

Tasting Satan's anus induces a strong urge to vomit and most definitely forces one to immediately spit out and spray the immediate vicinity with Satan's anal liquor. After you have tasted Satan's anus and sprayed your brew area, you will be screaming and crying like a dazed maniac. Also a strong dose of Satan's anus can cause bleeding from the nose.

If this happened to you, your beer tastes like Satan's anus, and you should dump it. Else, you will likely be fine, bottle it and let it age. Green beer tastes funny to those who have not sampled it before. With experience, you will be able to taste the hydro samples and get a good feel for what your beer will become.

Cheers to Satan's Anal Liquor :mug:

Now guys here have my kind of humor! LOL

As was said - the aged beer will change significantly after conditioning. Unfortunately, my brew tastes best right out of the fermenter and goes downhill from there. I actually like the taste of green beer I guess.

Dan

Thanks for the detailed and humorous responses! My description of Beelzebub's anal juices is as follows at the time of my bottleing:

Watered down, very little taste, and the dreaded "wet cardboard" taste.

I feel like my major error was oxygenating the beer at the beginning of the second fermentation.

I moved my glass carboy to the basement after the racking process, and was sloshing it all over the place on the way down the stairs. I didn't know this was a no-no until later.

Has this caused the fiery liquid of satanic anal fissures to fill my bottles?

Thanks for the detailed and humorous responses! My description of Beelzebub's anal juices is as follows at the time of my bottleing:

I feel like my major error was oxygenating the beer at the beginning of the second fermentation.

I moved my glass carboy to the basement after the racking process, and was sloshing it all over the place on the way down the stairs. I didn't know this was a no-no until later.

Well, "wet cardboard" taste usually doesn't improve, but it's really too early to consider that it might be oxidation. Oxidation does taste like wet cardboard, but generally takes a while to develop. Moving it around (as long as it's under airlock) doesn't usually cause aeration.

There are exceptions, but in my ecperience a pre-bottling sample is pretty close to what you're going to get when it's done, sans the bubbles.

hoping that bottle conditioning will dramatically change the taste

You will not believe how much a little carbonation will change the flavor of your beer.

I had this happen just this weekend. I had a brew after 2 weeks that tasted . .yuck.

Saturday - 8 days later I popped another one and I was amazed at the difference just 8 days would make. You have to wait at least 3 weeks for MOST beer to be even close to drinkable.

The flavors you describe are uncarbonated beer. Seriously - MANY people will say this but relax.

Thanks for the encouragement. All of you except OhioBrewtus have eased my worries. Let's see if it will transform into Santa's lips or not!

For the sake of accuracy, who in here has actually tasted wet cardboard to see what oxidation is all about?

To the OP, don't worry about your beer. It's fine. Aging and carbonation do make a big difference in the final outcome.

Fiddlesticks. 2 vs. 8 on people who say its similar to people who say it's different. I'm getting worried now!

What causes watery beer, BTW? Cuz that's the problem I really worried about.:off:

I move my carboys all the time. It's probably fine. You can't see it but CO2 is significantly heavier than air and will stay nicely in the headspace of a carboy protecting the beer. Airlocks make it even more secure.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not aiming for my beer to taste like "Santa's Lips"...now young Miss Claus, on the other hand...

but hey, to each his own.

I've gotten "watered down" any time I topped up a partly fermented beer to meet volume. This should go away with 3-4 weeks aging.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not aiming for my beer to taste like "Santa's Lips"...now young Miss Claus, on the other hand...

but hey, to each his own.

Isn't that what Santa's lips taste like? Er... maybe old Mrs. Clause... nevermind. :cross:

Back