Extract Kit Differences & Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBX

Reaction score
I have been looking at several Internet based brew shops with extract kits that include your malt, hops, steeping grains, and yeast and comparing them. I found an interesting site at www.norternbrewer.com. They tell you what is in kit, I like that a lot! I have seen kits that included 6 lbs of malt while another from a different store had 7 lbs. Question: does it make much difference (or what difference) does the 2 extra lbs of malt make? I know the more fermentables = more alcohol you end up with, but what about the body and taste. Does it matter that much that one pal ale comes with 6 lbs and another has 7 lbs other than if measuring alcohol percentages?

OBX said:
I have been looking at several Internet based brew shops with extract kits that include your malt, hops, steeping grains, and yeast and comparing them. I found an interesting site at www.norternbrewer.com. They tell you what is in kit, I like that a lot! I have seen kits that included 6 lbs of malt while another from a different store had 7 lbs. Question: does it make much difference (or what difference) does the 2 extra lbs of malt make? I know the more fermentables = more alcohol you end up with, but what about the body and taste. Does it matter that much that one pal ale comes with 6 lbs and another has 7 lbs other than if measuring alcohol percentages?

Liquid malt extract weighs more than dry. Check the recipe, 6#DME is comparable to 7#LME as far as fermentables go.

Also, 7-6=1 extra pound (Yeah, baby. Shoulda been a math major.)

The difference would be a bit more body and alcohol.

I believe 1 lb of malt ranges (equals) between .5 - .8 % of alcohol. Some people will say .6, but it's just a quick math thing.

If you want more mouth feel/body then add 4 oz of Malto-Dextrin to your brew pot. It's not fermentable and really works.

homebrewer_99 said:
If you want more mouth feel/body then add 4 oz of Malto-Dextrin to your brew pot. It's not fermentable and really works.

I might try that the next time I do this Robust Porter I am now tasting. It is only 1 week old in the bottle so I wasn't expecting much, but it is darn good. What it needs is a little more "mouth feel" and carbination, time in the bottle might give me both. I had a really nice milk stout the other day that must have had a lot of Malto-Dextrin. Do you need to offset adding it with a little more hops?
Thanks for the suggestion.

Back