Varietal juice at wally world

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamSlayer

Reaction score
ForumRunner_20131029_070552.jpg

ForumRunner_20131029_070608.jpg

Selling for around 2 $ for 1/2 gal.

Nice to see a company trying to cater to folks who know the difference in Apple varietys. No preservatives, so you could add it to your ciders!

My only concern would be what are the 'natural flavors ' listed on the label. Have you tasted the two yet? Can you tell the difference?

The Giant food stores here in PA, well locally to me anyway are selling 1/2 gallon for 99c, Motts brand.

I saw those and ended up buying the apple cider gallon jugs for $4.48 or whatever. I dumped all 5 into a carboy, added some dextrose and yeast and called it a day.

I want to go back and get the gala and do a gallon batch. I am not sure what the natural flavors need to be in AJ.

I got a gallon of the "Honeycrisp" sweet cider, just to taste it & see if it would be worth fermenting. It's supposed to be pure Honeycrisp juice. It was tasty, but the difference was subtle. I don't think there's enough varietal flavour to come through fermentation. That being said, it would certainly make a good apfelwein or hard cider, just don't expect too much varietal flavour.
Regards, GF.

I got a gallon of the "Honeycrisp" sweet cider, just to taste it & see if it would be worth fermenting. It's supposed to be pure Honeycrisp juice. It was tasty, but the difference was subtle. I don't think there's enough varietal flavour to come through fermentation. That being said, it would certainly make a good apfelwein or hard cider, just don't expect too much varietal flavour.
Regards, GF.

Exactly why I would recommend using them for back sweetening instead.

Otherwise if you aren't using fresh press or blended ciders after it ferments it will end up being mostly the same.

I would be wary, especially if it's anything like Orange Juice.

From The 6 Most Horrifying Lies the Food Industry is Feeding You

Ever wonder why every carton of natural, healthy, 100 percent, not-from-concentrate orange juice manages to taste exactly the same, yet ever so slightly different depending on the brand, despite containing no additives or preservatives whatsoever?

The process indeed starts with the oranges being squeezed, but that's the first and last normal step in the process. The juice is then immediately sealed in giant holding tanks and all the oxygen is removed. That allows the liquid to keep without spoiling for up to a year. That's why they can distribute it year-round, even when oranges aren't in season.

Thanks to science, we can enjoy screwdrivers from Christmas to the 4th of July.

There is just one downside to the process (from the manufacturers' point of view, that is) -- it removes all the taste from the liquid. So, now they're stuck with vats of extremely vintage watery fruit muck that tastes of paper and little else. What's a poor giant beverage company to do? Why, they re-flavor that **** with a carefully constructed mix of chemicals called a flavor pack, which are manufactured by the same fragrance companies that formulate CK One and other perfumes. Then they bottle the orange scented paper water and sell it to you.

And, thanks to a loophole in regulations, they often don't even bother mentioning the flavor pack chemicals in the list of ingredients. Hear that low moan from the kitchen? That's the Minute Maid you bought yesterday. It knows you know.

I would be wary, especially if it's anything like Orange Juice.

From The 6 Most Horrifying Lies the Food Industry is Feeding You

All true a friend of mine worked at an OJ factory.
Never get pulp in your OJ. They have a acceptable maggot level in the pulp they add back to your "juice". And come on they do freeze the vats sometimes.
But yeah each vat was graded on color, aroma, consistency, mouthfeel and flavor among other things. And the appropriate additive was added to the juice to correct it so that all juice is just the same.

Haven't seen those varieties at my WallyWorld.. but, they did have Martinelli's at over $8/g and Musselman's at under $5. Both unfiltered.. I bought a few gals of the Musselman's :)

All true a friend of mine worked at an OJ factory.
Never get pulp in your OJ. They have a acceptable maggot level in the pulp they add back to your "juice". And come on they do freeze the vats sometimes.
But yeah each vat was graded on color, aroma, consistency, mouthfeel and flavor among other things. And the appropriate additive was added to the juice to correct it so that all juice is just the same.

ISH! Better living through chemistry. Remember that from TV commercials in the late sixties? Most people don't know the half of what we are eating. Hey let's talk about hot dogs and bologna.... again, ISH!

Brings an ENTIRELY new perspective to the words 'natural flavors' from the juice I saw at wally world.

Yummy... Squirmy.... 'Natural Flavors'....

I saw this juice recently as well. We picked up a bottle of honey crisp and it just tasted like overly sweetened generic apple juice to me. I don't think it was actually derived from a honey crisp apple.

That said, it might be worth a ferment? I should check the SG with my refractometer. It might not even need additional corn sugar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeycrisp

Try aging a few Honeycrisp apples in a cool, dry & reasonably dark place for a couple weeks. Eat them when the skin is just starting to wrinkle. They taste like an awesome sweet cider & are just bursting with flavour. Earlier than that & they taste like a very good eating apple, I love the crunch & flavour.
Regards, GF.

The honey crisp juice is delicious. It has a "brightness" to it. I think it's an interesting flavor. I almost got this but was not sure because of the added flavors, and ended up using mussel and cider which is pretty good. I still want to try the honey crisp juice. Recently got a jug of just plain Walmart brand juice and glad I did not make a cider with this, as it is bland.

As for the oj story that's just nasty. I am one to get lots of pulp. Not anymore! Bleh!

Yeeeah. My feelings exactly. I used to get homestyle or a little pulp in my OJ but not anymore. Unless it's freshly squeezed and I squeezed it or watched it being squeezed.

It wonder how many apples you would need to flavor a batch of cider with your favorite varietal. I heard it was something like 150 apples per gallon of juice. But you could use Wally World generic apple juice and press or juice a few of your favorite kind into the batch.

Ah I was wrong. It's 36 apples per gallon 14-16 lbs. I guess the 150 was me remembering how many for a 5 gallon batch lol.

first things first - Honeycrisp is the best variety out there :)

I just wish it wasn't available only in the fall.

My wife is a big-time juicer so I may simply buy some nice, organic fruits, juice them up and use that for a cider experiment. for those without juicers - you can always take some fruit to a smoothie/juice store in the mall or something and slip the kid working there a few bucks if they'll juice em up for ya.
just a thought..

I bought close to 20 gallons of this juice total. Thought I was going to get stopped at the door just because it looked so odd rolling out cases of this stuff.

They are 1 month in primary, in 3 different carboys. They tasted different when I tasted side by side when I pitched. Had different gravities between varieties, too. Tasted them when I pulled a little of each off to blend into a 2.5 gal batch, and they again tasted different. I'd have to look at my notes to see what I liked best. All rocketed to almost 8% ABV with a small table sugar addition in a week.

I use champagne yeast and various sugars to get store bought-made hard cider up to 15 %ABV. In a keg it keeps forever, I always add a tad of winemakers acid blend and back sweeten with various fresh apple juices, natural flavorings, frozen concentrate. Its amazing what Simply Apple adds when in secondary and cold crash.

Unfortunately, when I went two weeks later to buy more, it was gone. Seems like they only had 1 pallet here in Dallas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeycrisp

Try aging a few Honeycrisp apples in a cool, dry & reasonably dark place for a couple weeks. Eat them when the skin is just starting to wrinkle. They taste like an awesome sweet cider & are just bursting with flavour. Earlier than that & they taste like a very good eating apple, I love the crunch & flavour.
Regards, GF.

Ski-U-Mah baby!

Price dropped to $1.50 today.

Also, I made some quick cider with a few of them. You can definitely taste the different flavors post fermentation. The granny smith gave it a definite aftertaste that reminded me of Bulmers aftertaste.

Gallons of cider dropped to 4. The varietal juices went to 150. I used the varietal ones to prime and backsweeten a gallon or two so far. The granny smith is definitely tastable after fermentation.

Latest posts

Back