Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing this as we speak! My sixth batch ever (second all grain). Got 75% efficiency, pretty happy about that. Lot of firsts for me on this one, hope it lives up to your standards! Thanks for the recipe.

Brewing this as we speak! My sixth batch ever (second all grain). Got 75% efficiency, pretty happy about that. Lot of firsts for me on this one, hope it lives up to your standards! Thanks for the recipe.

My standards mean zip, if you love it I have done a good job! Inspiring a new brewer to try my recipe is a great thing, you having the confidence to brew an often forgotten or overlooked style, that's what I consider to be the homerun!

Brewed this on January 25th and bottled it last Saturday. It snowed both days. Pretty cool coincidence since it doesn't snow a whole lot in this area of North Carolina. I am calling it Southern Snow Saison, but full credit goes to Azscoob original Cottage House Saison recipe. Thanks a lot for sharing! When I bottled it, my brother was tasting other home brews and store bought brews. He tasted a flat, room temperature sample of the saison. He liked it the best. I told him it will only get better after a couple weeks bottle-conditioning. Thanks again Azscoob.

Definitely want to give this recipe a shot based on all the great reviews. We'd have to do it as a partial mash though (haven't stepped up to AG for larger batches yet). What do people think about the following grain bill? What type of DME would you suggest? Finally, since we'd be doing a partial boil, would you adjust the hop schedule/amounts at all?

2 lbs Pilsner Malt (2-row)
1.50 lbs White Wheat
0.50 lbs CaraMunich Malt
0.50 lbs Flaked Oats
4 lbs DME (late addition)
1 lbs Orange Blossom Honey (late addition)

Well, here's what I think we're going to go with for a PM, partial boil version of this recipe. Upped the hops to account for the partial boil. Probably won't be brewing this for another couple weeks at least, so I'm still open to feedback if anyone has any input. azscoob?

2 lbs Pilsner Malt (2-row)
1.50 lbs White Wheat
0.50 lbs CaraMunich Malt
0.50 lbs Flaked Oats
4 lbs Pilsen DME (late addition)
1 lbs Linden/Basswood Honey (late addition)

0.7 oz. Sorachi Ace @FWH
0.7 oz. EKG @FWH
0.7 oz. EKG @30 min
1.25 oz. EKG @15 min
2 tsp crushed black pepper @5 min

Hmm, lemme sharpen my pencil, honestly I have never done a partial mash, or even an extract batch :( I started out as an all grain brewer, so I will need to work some numbers and see what I can come up with.

Cottage house transferred to a secondary for some bulk aging finished at 1.002 the 3711 is truly a beast!!! Can't wait to try this in a month or so.

image-3948536138.jpg

Ingredients on the way! Doing a PM similar to #365/366, except with 5lb pilsner LME.

Will be using a different bittering hop. Any suggestions between these 3: chinook, HBC 342 or Falconers Flight? Im thinking HBC 342...

I know nothing about the 342, high alpha and citrusy notes is all, if you have them give em a shot and report back!

Thanks. Yes, between those 3, that's what I currently have on hand for the FWH. I ordered the Fuggles for the aroma additions, along with everything else verbatim. I have a little smaller batch size, so see how it turns out.

Thought Chinook would be too dank & FF not sure, too IPA'ish?

Brewed this on Sat with an equal mix of Centennial and Cascade in place of the Sorachi for FWH and Hallertau in place of Fuggle - it's what I had on hand and seemed like good subs. I didn't add my honey during the boil, I'll add it when vigorous primary ferment slows in hopes to preserve more of the honey aromatics.

It smells great right now, chugging along at 74. Thanks for the recipe.

Just got this into the fermenter. My notes:

Partial mash went well, 60min biab stove top method with 10 min sparge in bucket. 2lb belgian pils, 1lb wheat, .5lb caramunich, .5lb instant oats. 0.75tsp Gypsum added

Used 0.5 oz HBC 324 in lieu of Sorachi Ace @ FWH. Fuggles per spec

Flameout included 5lb pilsner LME, pepper & lemon zest (sub'd in for lack of sorachi ace)

Orange blossom honey in @ 170

Full 1L starter of 3711 @ 70

Pics to follow :ban:

*edit: 3 hours later, already bubbling!

Hey all - I just wanted to give an update regarding this beer. I brewed it around Sept (?) last year and posted a few times in this thread. Since then, I've grown to absolutely positively LOVE this recipe. It's probably my favorite homebrew recipe I've brewed so far and definitely compares favorably against the best commercially-available Saison's on the market (Funkwerks gives it a run for its money though). I'm brewing it again this weekend - my first brew since the winter freeze.

Cheers to everybody and especially the OP for sharing this amazing recipe!

Hey all - I just wanted to give an update regarding this beer. I brewed it around Sept (?) last year and posted a few times in this thread. Since then, I've grown to absolutely positively LOVE this recipe. It's probably my favorite homebrew recipe I've brewed so far and definitely compares favorably against the best commercially-available Saison's on the market (Funkwerks gives it a run for its money though). I'm brewing it again this weekend - my first brew since the winter freeze.

Cheers to everybody and especially the OP for sharing this amazing recipe!

Thanks for the kudos! I am so happy that my recipe is such a big hit!

This is in my queue for beer-after-next. I'm thinking of using WLP 550 because I have 1/2 a yeast cake of it. Any opinions on whether that will substantially alter the outcome?

Brewed this a couple months ago, enjoying one while listening to music on the back porch... Thanks for sharing the recipe, delicious brew.

IMG_8111.jpg

Mine's done ! Fermented at 74 the whole four weeks and subbed some northern brewer I had for the sorachi. Beautiful across the board, color, taste, mouthfeel, smell, everything. This is the best beer I've produced in my short brewing history so far and I couldnt be happier. Thanks for the recipe !

Mine's done ! Fermented at 74 the whole four weeks and subbed some northern brewer I had for the sorachi. Beautiful across the board, color, taste, mouthfeel, smell, everything. This is the best beer I've produced in my short brewing history so far and I couldnt be happier. Thanks for the recipe !

Glad you are enjoying it!

What we're your gravities ferm at 74?

What we're your gravities ferm at 74?

My og was 1.069 and it finished just a hair over the 1.002, don't have the nice hydrometer that reads between the thousands (so maybe 1.0025). Wasn't my intent to stray from the recipe, just the way it went down. The first 1.002 reading was taken at 14 days.

Thanks Garrett. I modified the OG down to 1.060 and mine only fell to 1.010 after 14 days. It tastes dry but not super dry, but all together, great beer! Will be brewing this again. A good amount funk in the aroma.

Brewed a PM version of this yesterday (post #366). The LHBS was out of caramunich, so I subbed .25 lb Munich/.25 lb Crystal 60L. Added half the honey at flameout and will add the other half in a couple days after vigorous fermentation dies down. Excited for this one, thanks for the recipe :mug:

For what its worth T-58 works pretty well in this one too. Same temperature ramp and everything. Attenuates similarly, drops super clear and has a fair amount of funk to boot.

azscoob, fantastic recipe - I made my first saison based off of yours, adapted slightly, and absolutely loved it - the flaked oats is something that I'm using in just about every single one of my beers because I love the added soft/silkyness it brings - mine had .25 of Special B in it for an added stone fruit characteristic in the background that surprisingly plays nicely with the citrus/black pepper notes, it gave this splash of dark fruit you might have dipped into the saison as a little snack

Just finished my first batch of this. My wife and I loved it. Will need to brew it again.

azscoob, fantastic recipe - I made my first saison based off of yours, adapted slightly, and absolutely loved it - the flaked oats is something that I'm using in just about every single one of my beers because I love the added soft/silkyness it brings - mine had .25 of Special B in it for an added stone fruit characteristic in the background that surprisingly plays nicely with the citrus/black pepper notes, it gave this splash of dark fruit you might have dipped into the saison as a little snack

I admit, when the peaches are nice and plentiful.... I slice them into wedges and drop them into a glass of this saison, or a glass of wine after a nice dinner...

It's perfect pairing of flavers....

azscoob said:
Double up on it if you can, five gallons goes too quickly!

And if you haven't tried it yet, I really like this beer paired with a nice herb roasted chicken or turkey.

No kidding kegged 2 1/2 weeks ago and it's already gone, we are brewing this again Tuesday actually debating on whether to do a 10 or 15 gal batch...

I admit, when the peaches are nice and plentiful.... I slice them into wedges and drop them into a glass of this saison, or a glass of wine after a nice dinner...

It's perfect pairing of flavers....

you sound like you have a great appreciation for pairings and what plays well with other flavorings - I would be interested to hear or read about what you like to do for brews in the colder months - of course, we're rounding into the warmer seasons - but, don't let that stop you from providing some more awesome info :D

you sound like you have a great appreciation for pairings and what plays well with other flavorings - I would be interested to hear or read about what you like to do for brews in the colder months - of course, we're rounding into the warmer seasons - but, don't let that stop you from providing some more awesome info :D

Noted, let me see what I can craft up, perhaps a different thread or something.

This may have been covered somewhere among 40 pages, but if you are using pilsner malt shouldn't this be a 90 minute boil or is the DMS not an issue for some reason? I kind of want to use some pilsner but I may just end up using pale malt. I'm afraid of DMS...

I think with modern malting processes there is a lower risk of DMS, I could be wrong, but I think it's mostly urban legend at this point in the brewing game, like hot side aeration, autolysis, and Bigfoot.

I have won many a medal with beers brewed with pils and never anything more than a vigorous 60 minute boil.

Besides, in this beer, with the funk from the yeast, the pepper, the honey, etc. you wouldn't likely notice any DMS like you would in an american light lager

I think with modern malting processes there is a lower risk of DMS, I could be wrong, but I think it's mostly urban legend at this point in the brewing game, like hot side aeration, autolysis, and Bigfoot.

I have won many a medal with beers brewed with pils and never anything more than a vigorous 60 minute boil.

Besides, in this beer, with the funk from the yeast, the pepper, the honey, etc. you wouldn't likely notice any DMS like you would in an american light lager

This is one of the first things I took notice of - the 60, etc v. 90 min when using Pils - so, based on what you originally said and the compliments you received v. what the argument says - I split the difference and did a 75 min rigorous boil and it came out just fine - I did do a 90 min to my recent pumpkin saison but that's because I had more fermentables I wanted to add at numerous boiling intervals between the pumpkin and the candi sugar and thought that more time might bring out more pumpkin flavor

Back