Anyone try BRY-97 yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have brewed 2 batches with BRY-97 now and have a 3rd in the fermenter. The first 2 I did not rehydrate and they kicked off in around 24 hours, the last batch I rehydrated per directions and it took 48 hours

Interesting that the rehydrated batches kicked off slower - I'd normally expect the opposite. Danstar cautions that the rehydrated yeast must be pitched "without delay" after attemperation because it starts needing something to eat. I wonder if the BRY-97 is more sensitive to any delay, and by rehydrating you end up with fewer viable cells.

Interesting that the rehydrated batches kicked off slower - I'd normally expect the opposite. Danstar cautions that the rehydrated yeast must be pitched "without delay" after attemperation because it starts needing something to eat. I wonder if the BRY-97 is more sensitive to any delay, and by rehydrating you end up with fewer viable cells.

Interesting for sure. I rehydrated mine everytime, as it's suggested by Danstar. I get the lag.

I'm looking for a good clean yeast for my lower grav beers, like my Kentucky Common. As much as I love US-05 as my goto yeast, I'm really tired of that almost peach like flavor that I pick up when I use it for session type beers that don't have any roasty or highly caramally dark malts to cover it up. I can't seem to escape it, even fermenting o5 at the coolest temps I can get it to.

I have 5 gallons of my Kentucky Common that I'm getting no pleasure out of drinking this time, because it's overwhelmingly peachy.

That's why I'm interested in this yeast. My cream ale's going to get cold crashed and go into a keg over the weekend. I may even burst carb it just to have something else to drink over the holidays besides the Kentucky Common.

I used BRY-97 in a pale ale. I rehydrated and I didn't really notice any problem with a long lag time. It fermented in the low 60º's. It turned out well. It did seem to mute the hops a bit, but it's nice and clear, and I guess it has what would call a "clean" yeast taste.
I have been thinking of brewing a batch of your Kentucky Rye, and thought this would be the perfect yeast. I also think it would work well in a Cream Ale.
If I brew it I'll let you know how it turns out.
The pale ale was
5.5 lbs British pale malt
1 lb 6 row
.5 lb wheat malt
6 oz C120
Challenger @ 90 min
Mt. Hood @ 10 min
Mt. Hood dry hop

I used BRY-97 in a pale ale. I rehydrated and I didn't really notice any problem with a long lag time. It fermented in the low 60º's. It turned out well. It did seem to mute the hops a bit, but it's nice and clear, and I guess it has what would call a "clean" yeast taste.
I have been thinking of brewing a batch of your Kentucky Rye, and thought this would be the perfect yeast. I also think it would work well in a Cream Ale.
If I brew it I'll let you know how it turns out.
The pale ale was
5.5 lbs British pale malt
1 lb 6 row
.5 lb wheat malt
6 oz C120
Challenger @ 90 min
Mt. Hood @ 10 min
Mt. Hood dry hop

Please do my KC and let us know. Ufortunately my last batch of it with 05 is one of the peachy batches, and I'm sitting on half a keg I have trouble getting in the mood to drink. I'm about to throw the cream ale I made with this new yeast into a keg this weekend. Rather than doing set and forget on it for 3 weeks to carb it, I'm thinking of trying to just bust carb it this weekend to have that drinkable over the holidays.

Just did an IPA (possibly a pale ale-now),using this yeast for the first time, I hydrated and abnormally pitched it after about 15-20 min(which is what the web-site actually recommends-got lucky on that one),as opposed to what I normally do about 30-40 min with the other dry strains. Got it sitting about 66 deg. and probably overpitched 1 pack for 1.05 gravity/2.5 gallon batch. Im prepared with a 1 inch blowoff.

Heres and update: It showed signs of spotty foam at about 12 hrs,then overnight it had almost an inch of froth, not real vigorous but it is sitting at 62 ambient temps,Ill probably end up getting it back up to mid 60's by end of ferment.Low ferment temps seem(to me) to tame krausen-Ive been pretty succesfull with getting more volume and less headspace doing so. Without it blowing off anything.
I ended up having to use the blow off but it wasnt violent although it did get pretty vigorous in the fermenter. Had a thin rich layer of yeast at the bottom of my blowoff jar. Smelled exactly like bannana bread.
I also noticed the hydrated yeast smelled breadier than most other dry yeast,not that it matters.

Just be sure to have ample head space and you'd be fine. I never got a really really wild krausen from it, but you can watch it churning the fermenter like hell.

My IIPA is about ready to bottle. Dry hopping now. What I found is a tropical pineapple note from the BRY-97. Was not expecting this. Hopefully it will fade with time.

I brewed an IPA with it this Saturday night, and pitched (2) packets of this yeast (dry) onto the wort...here's what I've observed so far:

Saturday:

10:30 p.m. - Pitched Yeast

Sunday:

1:30 a.m. - Nada
8:30 a.m. - Bubbles noted in airlock
1:30 p.m. - Temp @60; Brought temp to 76
4:00 p.m. - Light krausen observed; temp @72
10:00 p.m. - Krausen thickening; temp @64

Monday:

5:45 a.m. - Very active fermentation; temp @60-62

I did lose probably 1.5 grams of yeast as the dog bumped me while I was pitching the second packet...damn dog, lol. I have the carboy in a swamp cooler (no air lock, but plenty of head space) , and I am looking forward to seeing the progress when I get home this afternoon.

Below is a picture taken at 10:30 yesterday morning

photo.jpg

Cold crashing, and the Amarillo dry hop really knocked down the pineapple notes I was getting. It is still there, but much more in the background. I'll post in a couple weeks what the beer tastes like.

I came home to very active fermentation at 4:00 this afternoon, but the krausen hasn't grown much. I'm looking forward to seeing how this yeast plays out

I used this in a commercial batch UK 5bbl/820ltr Pale Ale brew last Thurs. Rehydrated as per instructions, aerated as it's how my equip is set up and pitched at 19.3ºc. Used a 500g pack so slightly underpitched according to their recommendations (normally use 250g 05) but it kicked off the same as 05 would IME. Set cooling to 20ºc, Within 24hrs krausen forming nicely, 48hrs massive, 4 days in and still huge. I had my chiller cut out yesterday eve so I chilled it down to just under 18ºc while that was being fixed (in case I had to leave it ambient over night) but it's back to the high 19's now and chugging away. Will report more as things develop...Will also post the recipe I used when I add tasting notes after trying the beer.

I used BRY-97 in the India Black Ale I currently have kegged, and was very pleased with it overall.

Against the recommendations on the pack, I simply poured two packets of BRY-97 directly into the fermenter. This caused a slow start (about 30 hours), but things went pretty quickly thereafter, resulting in a full attenuation. The flavor is well suited to IBA/CDA and I already bought more to use in the next batch, though I'll likely do a starter next time.

Oh, and I fermented right at 62º. :mug:

My imperial IPA turned out awesome. I had 78% attenuation. Took 1084 to 1017. Citrus and Carmel notes shined. A little more malty than 05. Really balanced and easy drinking for an imperial thats 8.9%. No secondary and it cleared out awesome. I dig it.

My imperial IPA turned out awesome. I had 78% attenuation. Took 1084 to 1017. Citrus and Carmel notes shined. A little more malty than 05. Really balanced and easy drinking for an imperial thats 8.9%. No secondary and it cleared out awesome. I dig it.

I would say the same for my IIPA. I mashed at 158F and had an apparent attenuation of 74.3%, ABV 7.7%. Fermented at 65F.

Had one last night, it still has the mild pineapple note. It is very clear for only being 30 days old, and only in the bottle for 11 days. No refrigeration at any point, no cold crash, and no secondary. That's a fast IIPA.

Dropping clear seems to be a big plus for this yeast!

Not to Jump on the ban wagon, but wanted to give an update on my experience so far with y-97.. Pitched this dry onto 5 gallons on a honey pils (OG 1050) at 3pm @61*.. 24hrs later nothing is appears to be going on.. I am going to warm everything up to about 67* to see if this helps.. I had hoped that like nottingham this yeast would work well in the low 60s to give a clean beer.

Here's the Danstar info on it.
Brewing Properties:
• Quick start and vigorous fermentation, which can be completed in 4 days above 17 °C.
• Medium to high attenuation,
• Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation are dependent upon inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and the nutritional quality of the wort.
• BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast is a flocculent strain. Settling can be promoted by cooling and use of fining agents and isinglass.
• The aroma is slightly estery, almost neutral and does not display malodours when properly handled. It may tend, because of flocculation, to slightly reduce hop bitter levels
• Best when used at traditional ale temperatures after re-hydration in the recommended manner.

Currently reading through the thread as I love the idea of a more flocculant or just an alternative to US-05. However Danstar really really didn't want to give specifics about this yeast. All yeast performances are dependent upon wort quality etc. The best/worst one is describing it as flocculent and informing us it can be aided by by fining agents and cooling. DUH!!!

So as is too often the case we have to rely upon the homebrew community for information and practical application. Which of course is the silver lining... you guys & gals are awesome!

I've got a smoked IPA that is at 64 degrees and approaching 24 hours with no activity. First time using this yeast. I use Nottingham a lot and it has always been a fast starter. I guess Danstar needs to update their info and change it to say it's a slow starting yeast.

I used it for an IPA. I did not have a slow start. I pitched it at about 4 in the afternoon. The next morning it was going full steam.

It dropped out clear. Seems pretty clean. I like it better than US-05. I will use it again.

got it.. Sounds like it is very picky..
I am along for the ride as I want to see how this progresses.. I would love to find an ale yeast that is very flocculant and has a good temp range.

got it.. Sounds like it is very picky..
I am along for the ride as I want to see how this progresses.. I would love to find an ale yeast that is very flocculant and has a good temp range.

It does have a good temp range. It just likes it a bit warmer, to work slightly faster, and I find it more forgiving for warmer temps. Which is great for new people using it who don't know or care to watch their fermentation temps.

It just has a bit of lag before it shows signs of active fermentation.

Yeah it appears to be a slow starter at lower temps based on what I am seeing..
I have put the BB.Carboy in a water bath (water up to the lowest ring on the bottle) that is about 68* and raised the temp in room to about 70* and things have started to move slowly toward the better side of fermentation. Once I see things progressing I will drop the water temp a little and simply let the temp drop down to the lower 60s where it will hold.

I want to use this yeast cake for a spring/summer wheat in a couple weeks to see that it can do on that one.

I have put the BB.Carboy in a water bath (water up to the lowest ring on the bottle) that is about 68* and raised the temp in room to about 70* and things have started to move slowly toward the better side of fermentation. Once I see things progressing I will drop the water temp a little and simply let the temp drop down to the lower 60s where it will hold.

I want to use this yeast cake for a spring/summer wheat in a couple weeks to see that it can do on that one.

I just bottled my ipa with Bry today, super low 1.006 finish,sample seemed very light bodied.Pretty dry too-could be my water or something I guess, I mashed at least low to mid 50's too. Pretty damn bitter too. It cleared up pretty nicely@3 weeks. Im not worried about it till its carbed up.

Kind of off topic here but since Im thinking about it:

Wish my keg was here I would have gassed it up. Guess Ill have to keg my first pliny attempt-(first time keggin too), which I brewed today and didnt go exactly as planned. And what a mess of hops,it was like making a pumpkin beer all over again.Messy trying to strain that out.

I either got bad Bad effiency or I added too much water because I was thinking about the volume loss from all those hops in my Pliny clone. Dumped alot of trub/hops,also may have added quite a bit(more than intended) to primary. I should have reduce my water or boiled it the full 90,I overshot it thinking about the volume loss from hop-matter/trub. Its not fun trying to guess your priming sugar to how much trub/loss you have sitting in the bottom either before you rack and boil your priming sugar-its a guessing game. I guess thats one reason to do a secondary and a good reason to keg.

Last time I just guessed my priming sugar amount on the low end then when I racked and seen my actual volume,I just boiled a little more sugar and dumped and stirred it in. Kind of annoying but Id rather add too little at first-so I dont overcarb.

hbhudy said:

Let me tell you man I pitched a CDA thing onto a cake of this stuff from a previous ESB and saw insane activity within 30 minutes. Total primary ferment time was like 2.5 days. The closet this lives in is about 60-62.

UPDATE
There is a growing krausen (about an inch or so) and fermentation has definitely started.. The temp is sitting at about 64* now and we are waiting for the massive raging fermentation others have described..

I used this in a commercial batch UK 5bbl/820ltr Pale Ale brew last Thurs. Rehydrated as per instructions, aerated as it's how my equip is set up and pitched at 19.3ºc. Used a 500g pack so slightly underpitched according to their recommendations (normally use 250g 05) but it kicked off the same as 05 would IME. Set cooling to 20ºc, Within 24hrs krausen forming nicely, 48hrs massive, 4 days in and still huge. I had my chiller cut out yesterday eve so I chilled it down to just under 18ºc while that was being fixed (in case I had to leave it ambient over night) but it's back to the high 19's now and chugging away. Will report more as things develop...Will also post the recipe I used when I add tasting notes after trying the beer.
Update: I took the first dip in the FV since pitching.
It's been fermenting at 19ºc for a week and two days, besides the one day I took it down to mid 17ºc's (as described above), yeast is just finishing up. It's still got a touch of diacetyl that I reckon I'd still have with 05 and it's finished where I'd expect 05 to. Aroma was a bit dull but I've I've chucked my dryhop in and set to 12ºc where it'll sit for a week or so and the diacetyl should fade. Will update as time goes on and post recipe etc when I have the finished product.

UPDATE
There is a growing krausen (about an inch or so) and fermentation has definitely started.. The temp is sitting at about 64* now and we are waiting for the massive raging fermentation others have described..

OK so now the krausen has reached the neck of the Better Bottle 6gallon Carboy. Just put a blowoff tube on and looking forward to see the progress tomorrow morning.

I've got a smoked IPA (brewed Saturday) and a Nut Brown (brewed Sunday) - both at 66 degrees chugging along. Both took about 30 hours to get started and both have a little 1 inch krausen. Steady, but lackluster fermentation. I brewed the Nut Brown about a year ago and used Nottingham - it was volcanic!

This yeast doesn't seem to have the fireworks that others have produced, but I guess the bottom line will be revealed when I take my final gravity reading after three weeks and ultimately after it's been kegged and on gas for a week or two.

I pitched mine in a Hazelnut Brown Ale at 62 degrees and 24 hours later I have about 1/2" of krausen. Yeast was rehydrated per the instructions on the back of the packet. I pitched 1 packet into a 1.060 wort.

My American Pale Ale JUST started after 30 hours (I finally have airlock action but no foam yet) and mean just, I was gone for an hour after no action and when I got home, bubbles.
Sitting at 63-65*, pitched at 72ish after (mostly) rehydrating per the instructions

My American Pale Ale JUST started after 30 hours (I finally have airlock action but no foam yet) and mean just, I was gone for an hour after no action and when I got home, bubbles.
Sitting at 63-65*, pitched at 72ish after (mostly) rehydrating per the instructions

Normal with this yeast. It will probably be done by Saturday with the main course.

I logged on just to post about my IPA test I did with US-05 vs BRY-97 and I find this. I brewed 10 gallons of American IPA and put into two fermenters. I rehydrated one packet of US-05 and one of BRY-97, each with 150mL of 90F filtered water. I pitched at 75F and kept in a temperature controlled fridge at 64F. I checked again about 16 hours later and the US-05 had a nice, healthy 2" krausen. No activity on the BRY-97. I checked again 22 hours after pitching and the BRY-97 had a 2" krausen. Waited 1 week for primary to finish. Dry hopped for 2 weeks in secondary. Kegged and carbed for 2 days before tasting.

Results:

The US-05 finishes with more bitternes. It also leave more hop flavor on your tongue. The aroma is clean with a slight hint of esters. The hop presence is definitely stronger than the BRY-97.

The BRY-97 doesn't finish very bitter. Instead it brings out more of the maltiness and C-60 in the recipe. The aroma is very sweet (due to the C-60, I believe) but not very hoppy. The Crystal malt stays on the tongue more than the hops, so it doesn't really taste like an IPA overall.

After tasting the difference, I can 100% say that I'm sticking with US-05. It was a fun experiment to try the West Coast strain, but it just killed my hop aroma and flavor. The beer I made with it was OK, but the US-05 had much more complexity. If I didn't know better, I would swear they are from different batches.

Cheers,

Bruno

FATC1TY said:
Normal with this yeast. It will probably be done by Saturday with the main course.

Thanks, I just wanted to add to the 'database' since it seems like this is a new yeast.

After reading this thread today I wasn't too worried, but am feeling better now (just my second batch)

OK.. So quick update.. My Honey Pils is running like a champ with a huge krausen and churning like crazy (low 1050 brew) so I am thinking it will be done soon..

Now for Brun064
""Results:

The US-05 finishes with more bitternes. It also leave more hop flavor on your tongue. The aroma is clean with a slight hint of esters. The hop presence is definitely stronger than the BRY-97.

The BRY-97 doesn't finish very bitter. Instead it brings out more of the maltiness and C-60 in the recipe. The aroma is very sweet (due to the C-60, I believe) but not very hoppy. The Crystal malt stays on the tongue more than the hops, so it doesn't really taste like an IPA overall.

After tasting the difference, I can 100% say that I'm sticking with US-05. It was a fun experiment to try the West Coast strain, but it just killed my hop aroma and flavor. The beer I made with it was OK, but the US-05 had much more complexity. If I didn't know better, I would swear they are from different batches.""

I am thinking this may lead to a differnt thought for me (at least).. Maybe this is more of a ale to lager yeast and should be used in place of cali-common yeasts?? Any thoughts??

brun064 said:
I logged on just to post about my IPA test I did with US-05 vs BRY-97 and I find this. I brewed 10 gallons of American IPA and put into two fermenters. I rehydrated one packet of US-05 and one of BRY-97, each with 150mL of 90F filtered water. I pitched at 75F and kept in a temperature controlled fridge at 64F. I checked again about 16 hours later and the US-05 had a nice, healthy 2" krausen. No activity on the BRY-97. I checked again 22 hours after pitching and the BRY-97 had a 2" krausen. Waited 1 week for primary to finish. Dry hopped for 2 weeks in secondary. Kegged and carbed for 2 days before tasting.

Results:

After tasting the difference, I can 100% say that I'm sticking with US-05. It was a fun experiment to try the West Coast strain, but it just killed my hop aroma and flavor. The beer I made with it was OK, but the US-05 had much more complexity. If I didn't know better, I would swear they are from different batches.

Cheers,

Bruno

Bruno, thanks for reporting on this yeast. Your data is interesting.

I would love to hear how your two beers compare after 3-4 weeks aging in the keg. 2 days in the keg is pretty short. My pale ales don't peek until 3-4 weeks in keg after 3 in the fermenter.

I pitched mine in a Hazelnut Brown Ale at 62 degrees and 24 hours later I have about 1/2" of krausen. Yeast was rehydrated per the instructions on the back of the packet. I pitched 1 packet into a 1.060 wort.

The krausen on mine just started to go down and I only had 1 day of strong activity. There appears to be a settling down now and the yeast is forming a compact cake at the bottom.

Has anyone experienced only 1 day of strong fermentation activity?

I realize a hydrometer sample is the only way to tell but I want to give it at least a week.

Latest posts

Back