Belgian-esque from leftovers. Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
So I was looking at my leftover ingredients and wondering if I could make a Tripel(esque) brew from this. I guess it's mainly the hops/specialty malts I'm wondering about and if they will be too far off base and make a culture clash.

6 lbs Breiss Golden Light Extract
1 Lb Wheat DME
2 Lbs Honey (going to the local shop to get this)
.5 lbs Crystal
.5 lbs Caravienne
1 oz Centennial 60 mins
1 oz Centennial 5 mins

+ I have some WL Saison yeast that I rewashed from an old cake.

I'm pretty sure the base malts/extract are completely on the mark for the style, but I wasn't sure about those hops/specialties.
Any suggestions? Should I rock it or wait to order some new stuff?
thanks

I don't know about fitting into any real style, but I bet it would be a tasty brew. Don't even need the honey!!

I'm pretty sure the base malts/extract are completely on the mark for the style, but I wasn't sure about those hops/specialties.

i'm not so sure your malts are "completely on the mark for the style" if you're making a tripel. tripel's base malt is pilsen, to the tune of about 80%, which you don't have. golden light is damn close, tho. tripels don't use crystal malts but you list 2 of them (plus there is carapils in the golden light). using a saison yeast won't give your the spicy notes of a tripel. centennials are quite out of style.

regardless, your recipe looks like a damn tasty one and should yield a great belgian brew. but if you enter it in a competition as a tripel, you'll likely get dinged for non-compliance.

What do you think you would classify it as? It still looks like a tasty "throw whatever the fuc* i can in the kettle and make it happen" =D
But yeah... I guess it's kinda random =)

in a competition it would probably do best as a belgian specialty ale (BJCP 16E, http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style16.php#1e). it could also be considered a saison (http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style16.php#1c) but probably wouldn't do as well as it deserves to since judges tend to like very classic saisons (read: dupont) so your crystals and centennial would be dinged.

but how to categorize your beer doesn't really matter if you're not going to enter it in competitions and you're not trying to brew to style. lots to be learned (and enjoyed!) by non-traditional recipes.

Yep, the only competition this will enter is how fast it can make it into my belly =)
thanks dudes

Back