Backsweeten with honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabbathehut

Reaction score
I plan on back sweeting with honey. As long as I stabalize the wine and dissolve the honey in boiling water I should be fine? Is this correct?

yep, I would leave it in a carboy for awhile after you add it just too be sure it doesnt start going again.

Ouu... sounds yummy :) What kind of wine? I use honey when I make hot, mulled wine in the wintertime.

I'm just curious about the dissolving it boiling water... Is that just to aid in the dissolving?

Do not boil the honey!
It will drive away all of the flavor/aroma; if you do that you might as well just use some cheap syrup.

Honey is fairly sterile in its concentrated from, nothing will grow in it until it is dissolved in water.
If I was you I would just heat the jar so it pours easy and just poor it directly into the must if this is what you plan to do.
Remember that fermentation will restart in the presence of yeast; once you add it your wine will no longer be stable.

If you're talking about honey from the grocery store that's in a bottle, then that's already pasteurize.

If you get raw honey from your local beekeeper then I will pasteurize it before using. Heat it without boiling seems to be the way to go.

Back