Amarillo American Wheat with Kolsch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
I know that this beer would work well with CalAle or 1056, but I want to build up my yeast to repitch on an actual Kolsch after this brew.

The recipe is a standard American Wheat. 50/50 wheat malt and 2-row, with a little Caravienne. Single hopped with Amarillo to 27 ibus, but most of the hops are in flavor, aroma, and dry hop.

Will Wyeast 2565 (Kolsch) handle the hopping?

Thanks in advance for any input on this idea.

Do a search for "happy Oberon day". About the next thread on the list after your post. Hops are different, but a clone recipe with a wheat grain bill and kolsch yeast.

Jamil Z. recommends Kolsch yeast in American Wheat Beers (actually, he recommends it in many cases that call for clean yeast).

+1 for 2565. Here's a great recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bells-oberon-clone-31422/index11.html#post2860888

The Kölsch has a nice fruity note at the higher temps that works really well with the style. Not a English fruity raison, heavy flavor, but a lighter fruitiness that stays subtle and refreshing. I really like that yeast for things like this beer. And Boerderij_Kabouter also recommends dry hopping cold...he says the cold temps do something different with dry hops and whatever it is seems to work really well for that beer.

DPlan00 said:
I know that this beer would work well with CalAle or 1056, but I want to build up my yeast to repitch on an actual Kolsch after this brew.

The recipe is a standard American Wheat. 50/50 wheat malt and 2-row, with a little Caravienne. Single hopped with Amarillo to 27 ibus, but most of the hops are in flavor, aroma, and dry hop.

Will Wyeast 2565 (Kolsch) handle the hopping?

Thanks in advance for any input on this idea.

Gumball head?

Thanks to all for the replies! Yes, I was aiming for something along the lines of 3F's Gumballhead, but I have since changed my hops to use something I already have. Willamette and Centennial.

I had another question about the yeast, though. What temp should I ferment an American Wheat with the Kolsch yeast? As low as I can go?

Thoughts?

I like it a little warmer, like 65ish...fruity, but light fruit like a white wine. Works well with malt & hops.

Back