A flavour I want to avoid...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Dean

Reaction score
I was at a Microbrew in town the other day, and decided to try some of the beer there that I don't htink I'd like.

It was a Kolsh and had a flavour I'd say was something between a paenut and buttered popcorn.

I think it was disgusting. So much so that I want to find out WHAT causes it so I can avoid it.

Is this typical to Kolsh style? Is it the result of mishandling?

Sounds like diacetyl. You can avoid it by using clean-profiled yeast strains, maintaining proper fermentation temperatures, and doing a diacetyl rest (search the forum) when one is appropriate.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category6.html#style6C

Soft, rounded palate comprising of a delicate flavor balance between soft yet attenuated malt, an almost imperceptible fruity sweetness from fermentation, and a medium-low to medium bitterness with a delicate dryness and slight pucker in the finish (but no harsh aftertaste). One or two examples (Dom being the most prominent) are noticeably malty-sweet up front. Some versions can have a slightly sulfury yeast character that accentuates the dryness and flavor balance. Some versions may have a slight wheat taste, although this is quite rare. Otherwise very clean with no diacetyl or fusels

Fermented too high!

I had a Kolch last night and they are good, nothing like you described. Don't write them off yet.

Yeah, even the description of their brew didn't prepare me for what I got. I was thinking "nutty" and they were saying "slightly fruity".

I certainly won't write off the Kolsh style yet. I'll check a few other breweries in the area and try some bottled stuff before doing that, as my primaries are tied up right now. :D

Back