New copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerly

Reaction score
I just finished making a counterflow chiller and was wondering what I need to do before I use it for brewing. Should I just boil up a pot of diluted vinegar and let that flow through or do I need to do something more? I have some beer line cleaner.

As far as tubing goes, does anyone know what you can use for tubing from the brewpot to the cfc? I couldn't find any tubing at the hardware stores that specifically states for high temps. I'm going to order some, but I plan on brewing this afternoon and need something I can just pick up.

I would sanitize with Star San. As far as the hose goes I'd use Thermo plastic rubber (TPR) I believe the temp max. is 275*F.

I use regular old vinyl hose. It gets soft, but hasn't failed me yet. There is virtually no pressure in it- It's not going to inflate like a balloon or something- no B.F. Brewrich blimp. Darn it.

Oh, sanitize it however you do everything else. If you want that new copper sparkle, us a plumbers lime remover- it is phosphoric acid, like in whichever sanitizer some guys like.

I ran hot vinigar thru mine a few times, then ran water thru it. I don't know if that is really necessary, but I did it anyway, I wanted to make sure it was clean.

Back