Best Oktoberfest kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdaddy

Reaction score
Looking to order something soon. Who makes the best extract kit...Midwest, Brewer's best, etc? Looking for an ale kit because I can't lager.

I really like Saint Arnold's Oktoberfest which is actually made using ale yeast, but I can'f find a recipe.

I'd say try your hand an creating your own reciepe. Do some research and post it here for review. Here is what I found from their website.

I'm paraphrasing the important info from here

Malt: We blended three different types of Munich-style malt to provide a rich caramel flavor.

Hops: We use two central European noble hop varieties in this beer: Czech Saaz and Hallertauer.

Original Gravity: 1.061 (15.5° Plato)
Color: Red-Amber
Bitterness: 24 IBU
Alcohol Content
By Volume: 6.0%

I did the Brewer's Best Octoberfest last summer- and I thought it was very good! It's an ale so it's not as crisp as a true lager, but it did have that "Oktoberfest" taste to it. I was very pleased and I would do it again if I was still doing extracts and steeping grains.

Thanks for the Brewer's best suggestion. Did you use the supplied dry yeast or something else such as Wyeast German Ale yeast?

I just used the supplied yeast, it was Nottingham and I fermented it at 67 degrees. (Well, according to my notes that was the basment temp- the actual fermenting wort temp was probably just a tad higher but I didn't write it down.)

I've used that exact kit before and it was OK. I prefer their full bodied Weizen. However, to get a lot closer to the style, you'll have to change out the yeast. To me, the Nottinghams yeast has made all the different kit brews I've done taste similar. They all had that certain twang to it. One thing about the Weizen, no grains at all, just straight extract. A lot quicker to brew as well. To me, this is a pretty easy session brew and can drink with just about anywhere, or any time. Another difference, the wheats take a little more CO2 if your kegging to get it fully carbed up.

Ol' Grog said:
They all had that certain twang to it.

Are you sure that was the yeast? "Twang" is often used to describe the flavor that LME can contribute.

Did those kits include LME? Usually kits do as LME is cheaper than DME.

Personally I would stay away from pre-packaged kits that use LME since there is no way to tell how fresh it is.

I would say that of all the yeasts that are available, Nottingham is the cleanest and leaves no flavor at all, particularly "twang". I've used it often in different style beers because sometimes I want to accentuate the malt bill, or the hops. I think the liquid malt extract leaves a "twang" taste, though- known as "extract taste".

I think grains make a HUGE contribution to extract recipes and like recipes and kits that include them.

Still, make what you like- there are lots and lots of ways to make them all good. If you can't lager yet, a clean ale yeast will give you good results (although of course not a lager) and that's the important thing.

The grains, after making a few and comparing, make a HUGE difference, no doubt about it. Like when you get into what I call the "Irish" series. Big difference in taste. Now the "twang" as I use it, is not actually a after taste, you just know it's there. I never thought that LME could be the culprit as all my recipes have used LME's. I have noticed a difference between Nottinghams and Windsor. I kind of prefer the Windsor.

Well I've only brewed two beers but one was all LME and one was all DME and the nasty twangy aftertaste that dominated the LME was COMPLETELY absent in the DME one.

Bosh said:
Well I've only brewed two beers but one was all LME and one was all DME and the nasty twangy aftertaste that dominated the LME was COMPLETELY absent in the DME one.

Not to sound like an EAC but two batches might not be enough of a sample population to make that determination. There are a bunch of other reasons why you could have that twangy taste, including a small infection. Anyway, I say this because I pretty much only use LME and though I have had a couple of batches with a small twang, most have not had it.

Back