Why is Home brewer TV unavailable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanH

Reaction score
Why was home brewer TV cancelled? Hope not to post the same question twice, i search for a thread like this one but didn't fine one.

Not much of an explanation on his site. I guess it could be that once he changed it to a subscription service there wasn't enough interest?

Comment by Gary under the last video he put up in response to someone asking why it has gone subscription based.

Over the last month or so I have received many emails complaining about the ads the video server adds, so yes they will be gone. I need the show to pay for itself and I do not have enough sponsors to make ends meet. Sponsors are hard to get. The cost of the studio time, production crew and edit suit time has sent me backwards financially. I guess in a perfect world, I have all of our great viewers willing to keep the show going, rather than all of the cost burdens being on me. I felt 5 bucks a month was not a burden for anyone, especially since they have the 10% off from some of the sponsors.

I am always open to other ideas to keep the show free yet pay the cost of the productions.

Gary

That sucks to hear. I didn't follow him religiously but I watched him off and on and his shows were good and he had a lot of enthusiasm for brewing/beer. Unfortunately if he's not able to bank roll it and people aren't willing to stump up the subs to pay costs then it was inevitable.

This sucks. I just upgraded my phone and was eager to put his videos on it to watch on the road. Now I can't even sign up because the site tells me there is nothing associated with the sign-up to collect payment or something).

The site is half-assed now. The only method I could find to contact him was posting on his comments page and the problem had not been fixed last time I checked.

$5 is no big deal IMO. Anyone who brews his own could paypal $5 to watch some nice videos.

I think Gary was doing a great service with his videos and I'm sad to see them go. His love of the hobby is very evident in his presentations. However, I didn't think the subscription based service was going to fly because quite honestly, $60 a year is a lot for many homebrewers.

I know Gary was trying to do the show as professional as possible, but maybe a less-polished version that is shot with home video cameras (which are still great quality) and basic editing software would suffice. Could it be done as a home show with little to no cost that the site advertisers would be enough to cover?

I don't think I'm alone in saying that Gary's enthusiasm is what made the show, not the professional editing or green screen / backdrops.

Back