Saison Suggestions Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amanofbeer

Reaction score
I want to make a saison, but don't know exactly what to use. Here's everything I've got:

Belgian Pils for the base
Special B (maybe too raisony...BUT, maybe in a small quantity? 2-4 oz?)
Aromatic malt (might over accentuate the malt, but maybe a small amount?)
Belgian Caramunich (standard, will definitely use)
Caramel Malt 80L (maybe just to supplement the Caramunich?)
Unmalted wheat (for a haze)

I want to get the malt bill right for this one, and don't want it to be too complex and muddled. I don't want to use special B if it will be too overpowering or caramelly. I want a crisp, complex and distinct beer that I will remember. I also want to adhere to the style. I'm concerned about using too many different malts also because I still need to learn exactly the flavors that certain malts impart in each beer. Maybe I should stick to just the pils and one other malt?

Also, using Wyeast Belgian Ardennes for this brew as well as Saaz and Hallertau hops.

Typically, Saisons use 100% Pilsner malt or Pils and Wheat. I'm actually fermenting my first Saison as we speak. Also, as far as yeast goes, Wyeast 3711 seems to be very popular around here, that's what I'm using.

I've used the ardennes yeast for a saison, works really well. Check the recipe database for my recipe. It's 7% but goes down like water its so smooth. I used citra and amarillo, gave a smooth mango flavour which complimented the yeast really well. Malts were Maris otter, pilsner, malted wheat and crystal.

Back