How to Brew by John Palmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I finished my first cover-to-cover read of the printed version and I am mightily impressed. This is one fine brewing book, with solid information and research through and through. I would put it at the top of the "if only one book" list for brewers. I particularly enjoyed his discussions of sparging and lauter tun design, but that is only the tip of the iceburg.

I have checked out the on-line version numerous times, but am very glad to have the whole tamale in my slimmy little hands.

Definately recommend to people to pick up a paper copy. There's an amazing amount of practical information in the book, written in a very easy-to-understand manner. There's also enough advanced information where it's a useful tool even for more-experienced brewers.

I've concluded, with much trepidation, that it's a better "first" book for homebrewers than Papazian's.

the_bird said:
I've concluded, with much trepidation, that it's a better "first" book for homebrewers than Papazian's.

WOW, that's kinda big. I've checked out the on line version but you have my intrest. You say this is a good reference even for those that have brewed consitently for 10+ years? I am always going back to various texts so I'm not saying I know it all by a long shot. But I haven't opened Papazians book in years...

krispy d said:
WOW, that's kinda big. I've checked out the on line version but you have my intrest. You say this is a good reference even for those that have brewed consitently for 10+ years? I am always going back to various texts so I'm not saying I know it all by a long shot. But I haven't opened Papazians book in years...

Well, it's not as technical as Ray Daniels' book, for example. But, there's some really good information in there on advanced topics. It's hard for me to say without knowing what "advanced" means to you. Frankly, there's a lot of stuff in there that I'm just starting to get into myself. And, I'm not saying that it's the *only* book to buy to get advanced info, just that it's not a book ONLY for beginners.

The depth of information is what I like. He covers a wide range of topics and in good detail. Science and art in one nice, easy to read book.

why am I hemming and hawing over 12 bucks? just picked up a copy on ebay! can't hurt right? thanks for the recomendation! I love me some brewing books.

Third edition? I can't prove it, but my sense is that Palmer's done a much better job at updating his book with current information than Papazian has. Third edition seems to represent current "best practices."

I haven't read Papazian in years. I think his book has its place, it just isn't the place I am at. My recollection is it is pretty simple in approach and explanation, which is fine for what it is.

I have How to Brew and Daniels' Designing Great Beers, and both are great books. I'm thinking about picking up New Brewing Lager Beer as well, as I heard that covers decoction mashing well.

Brewpastor said:
I haven't read Papazian in years. I think his book has its place, it just isn't the place I am at. My recollection is it is pretty simple in approach and explanation, which is fine for what it is.

What?

You're recommending, "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection," by Charles Darwin (Palmer) over The Bible (Papazian)?;)

Buford said:
... I'm thinking about picking up New Brewing Lager Beer ...

It does. I have it and recommend it. I tend to reach for Daniels' book more, but I brew more ales, so it figures.

I only have the online version of Palmer's HTB. I saw rdwj's copy and after seeing that, I've put it on my list of books to get.

I'll take science over faith any day. Palmer has the heart of an engineer and the soul of a brewing junkie.

the_bird said:
Third edition? I can't prove it, but my sense is that Palmer's done a much better job at updating his book with current information than Papazian has. Third edition seems to represent current "best practices."

I must admit that I'm a huge Papazian fan. His book hooked me on home brewing in one evening. Having said that I have to agree with you. I've got the latest version of the Complete Joy and there are very few changes in it. It even has the same old out dated photos.

Looks like I need to get me a new book. You guys have convinced me.:mug:

Buford said:
I have How to Brew and Daniels' Designing Great Beers, and both are great books. I'm thinking about picking up New Brewing Lager Beer as well, as I heard that covers decoction mashing well.

I just ordered these two books from amazon.com this evening for $29.00 including shipping.

Those two books are my first reference books. They simply rock!:rockin:

I second that emotion!!

BTW Ed, I really loved that Ahtanum Pale Ale you sent to the meeting last Saturday. Best beer on the table - except mine of course! :mug:

I've been thinking about buying Palmer's book for awhile. I've tried numerous times to read the online version but I find it really inconvenient and clumsy to use. Maybe the dead trees version is the way to go. I like Papazian's book (it's the one that came with my first equipment kit), but I'm always looking for new books to add to my library.

McCall St. Brewer said:
I've been thinking about buying Palmer's book for awhile. I've tried numerous times to read the online version but I find it really inconvenient and clumsy to use. Maybe the dead trees version is the way to go. I like Papazian's book (it's the one that came with my first equipment kit), but I'm always looking for new books to add to my library.

Yeah the virtual version isnt as good as the real one. Unless youve got a laptop, you cant read it on the sh**ter.

I agree with what others have said about Papazian vs Palmer. Papazian's book is great for making you excited about wanting to homebrew, but Palmer is a better resource for actually figuring out how to do it.

I've been using the online "How to Brew." I really want to get the book, just to have something that resourceful on my bookshelf. I agree with Cweston that Papazian emphasizes fun and homebrewing to be a hobby while Palmer gives you a lot more technical details. This is not to say Papazian doesn't have good information. He definitely is a genius when it comes to the science of brewing. I use both Palmer and Papazian as references when I need an answer. I don't think anyone should debate which book to buy, if you're truly into homebrewing, buy both. One thing I have against Papazian is that I barely passed my classes in college because I was nose deep reading his books instead of my assigned readings for class : )

So I know about the online version of How to Brew, but is it available in downloadable form? I'm going to be spending about 8 hours in the car in the next few days and was hoping to read up so I can hit the ground running on my first batch when I get home (I already have access to all the necessary equipment). I have a laptop but not wireless internet access. I looked for a hard copy today @ Borders and Barnes & Noble (which I would much prefer anyway) but it was out of stock at both stores I went to. Checked availability at other nearby stores online, still no dice.

I have it on Kindle from Amazon.
With all due respect to the original master Charle, this is a easier to understand book and more relevant.

Jst finished wrapping Santa's copy for me to open tomorrow ..it covers every reasonable issue in homebrewing, all in one spot.

It is a reference book I am glad to have..

just wanted to let u guys know, I found one (the only in the entire StL Metro) in stock and reserved it online shortly after my last post. Picked it up about an hour ago. Woo hoo!!

Just finished reading a copy I purchased as well. Figured I'd post my thoughts in this thread. Seems to be the place for it, if not pull it out.

Review of “How to Brew” by John Palmer

If you recall I did an intro review of "How to Brew by John Palmer where I talked about how the book starts off with a brief overview of the brewing process and what and how to extract brew. The extract brewing portion of the book is very short and seems to lack as much knowledgeable information as the rest of the book does. It could merely be poor placement of chapters though. Once you get through the first few chapters about brewing and extract brewing, Palmer goes in depth into each part of the brewing process. He describes malts, hops, yeast, water, aeration, hot breaks and so on. Through these chapters there is a lot of practical knowledge that can lead a novice brewer into a better beer making direction. However, it comes after Palmer has already described the extract brewing process. Personally, I think that information should come first just like it does later in the book when he gives a load of knowledge on all-grain brewing before turning anyone loose. If your thinking about homebrewing extracts, read sections one and two before deciding or starting to get a great idea of the overall brewing process.

Regardless, “How to Brew” is a very thorough book that I am extremely happy to have read and put onto my brewing shelf. The book is loaded with conversions, charts, recipe information, and many other useful tidbits that I didn’t know until reading this book. Did you know that you can do something called “Hot Side Aeration”? This is the process of aerating your wort after the boil, but before it has come down to pitching temperatures. In other words, don’t aerate your beer at all before it’s down to pitching temperatures or you run the risk of long-term oxidation and flavor stability.
Pros

“How to Brew” by John Palmer is a great resource for anyone starting to brew, novice brewers, people debating on making the all grain leap, and even expert brewers looking for guidance on changing their water composition for a stellar Pilsner. The book is very thorough and covers darn near all of the different subjects associated with brewing, right down to different metals or ways of fabricating your own equipment.

A couple of sections I really appreciated included the “Is My Beer Ruined” section. In this section Palmer describes the many different “off flavors”, what causes them and how to prevent them in the future.

I also enjoyed reading the section called “Brewing with Extracts and Specialty Grains”. This section gave me a great overview on the different base malts and specialty grains and what they do. Palmer discusses how certain grains will effect all the different aspects of your brew, including color, flavor, aroma, fermentability, and so on. It was really insightful for a novice brewer, like myself looking to increase my knowledge of what makes up my favorite beers and eventually my own recipes.

* Great for new, intermediate and expert brewers
* Very thorough
* Great sections like "Is My Beer Ruined or Brewing with Extracts and Specialty Grains"
* Overall a great read

Cons

Again, like most books and information on homebrewing there was very little support of pictures to illustrate the points being presented. There were a lot more pictures than “The Complete Joy of Homebrewing” by Charlie Papazian, but still, just not enough. In one instance Palmer is discussing clarity of wort coming out of the mash tun with black and white photos. Honestly, I couldn’t see the point he was trying to illustrate with the photos.

The biggest con of the book is that there are pages that are very difficult to understand. Palmer can get very technical with some of his information, with math and formulas, which it is extremely easy to just want to skip it. There has to be a better way to present the information because it is exactly like trying to learn algebra, out of a textbook, without any practical practice problems or illustrations.

On top of that there was one instance that Palmer lost me. In one section he mentioned not adjusting the PH of your water before mashing because some malts will adjust it for you, but then the rest of the chapter was about adjusting the PH of your water for mashing. Still not sure if I should adjust the PH before or during.

* Not a lot of great pictures to illustrate points
* Can get extremely technical at times
* I personally got lost once in the book

Overall

The book is great and I highly recommend buying it, especially if you plan to move onto all grain brewing at some point in your brewing career. Half of this book is about all grain brewing and presents a lot of good information that would be exceptional to read before jumping head first into all grain brewing. I also believe it is a better starting homebrewing book than "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian.

The book is loaded with practical information about general brewing practices, ingredients, how to’s, and an all around “why things are the way they are” in homebrewing. I would highly recommend this book to a novice and experienced brewer.

How bout you?

This is my only brewing book and bought it before I even got into the hobby. It has been mighty helpful and I would've been lost without it. I'm now interested in a good brewing book to compliment this one.

Latest posts

Back