How much to pay for CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico

Reaction score
Hey,

I bought my first kegerator a few days ago and I got my CO2 tank filled for the first time today. I had to pay $28 to get a 5lb tank filled:eek: How much do you guys normally pay?

I get mine filled at a sporting goods store. Despite telling them its 5lbs they only ever charge me 4 dollars which i think is the paint ball refill charge.

$20 for $10 lbs. I think they want $15 for 5 lbs (fills, not exchanges)

I've definitely seen a range - found a local fire safety place that will fill a 5lb tank for $25. Then I found a local beverage supply place that'll fill them for $9. The only catch is that they batch-fill tanks whenever they feel they've got enough on hand, so you have to drop it off and pick it up whenever they get around to it. Definitely worth while if you've got more than one tank on hand or the patience to go without for a couple days.

Mine costs $24 for a 20lb tank. However, a 5lb costs $18. CO2 is an inexpensive gas, but the labor and certification of handlers, equipment and facility is not cheap. You get to pay an amortized portion of those costs each time you fill, then the cost of the gas on top of that.

$24 for a 5lb er. What I don't understand is that I can go the the welding place and exchange a tank filled for $18

$18 for a 5lb tank at a local paintball supply store. $14 at the local welding shop, but you have to drop your tank off and pick it up in 2 to 3 days.

depending on who's working (it seems I get charged different each time..) It's 15-20 bucks for a 20lb tank - filled, not exchanged.

I'm in good with our 'gas man' at work, he fill/exchanges my 5lb for free. I give him some beers here and there, after complaining about how often i need to fill up my tank he came up with an 'extra' 20lb aluminum tank for free! Brand new and full.

Free is best. When I get into kegging (sooner than later), my step father is an operations manager for a welding supply company in Green Bay (WI). I get a hefty discount (employee discount is 50%) on welding equipment and get tanks filled for free when I visit. I call him with what I need, he fills them and brings them home. We make the exchange and done deal.

Get in with someone in a welding supply shop.

I pay 8 for a 5 lb and 16 for 20 lb tanks to be re filled no exchange. Also the hydro stamps are years over due and they dont seem to mind. Saves me a couplke bucks I guess as long as they dont blow up!

Mine costs $24 for a 20lb tank. However, a 5lb costs $18. CO2 is an inexpensive gas, but the labor and certification of handlers, equipment and facility is not cheap. You get to pay an amortized portion of those costs each time you fill, then the cost of the gas on top of that.

my family owns a welding supply business. i feel like one of the unknown costs is waste when filling.

one thing people dont get is that co2 expands so much, that when the pump is turned off it has to be emptied and then primed back up to run again. so there is waste involved in filling co2. a good amount of it. we charge $20 for a 5lb and $28 for a 20 lb. its the same amt of waste involved in both fills.

Just lucky, my lady works at a fire suppression shop. Free for the last few years. However, moving shortly. No more free CO2.:(

i paid 23 bucks for a 7lb tank fill at roberts oxygen in cockeysville, took a few days get it back since they sent it out, but im thinking about the $$$$ I saved on gas from not having to make a trip to the LHBS that fills co2 tanks. im getting a spare co2 tank next week, so that way Im never out of CO2

Pascal said:
Just lucky, my lady works at a fire suppression shop. Free for the last few years. However, moving shortly. No more free CO2.:(

Get a huge huge tank and stock up

Back