Help with Herms box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_al_in_k-zoo

Reaction score
Hello all.

First off, Sorry for ANOTHER NOOB HERMS POST.

I've been searching through posts for about 2 weeks now looking at different herms builds, control box setups/wiring diagrams. Seems that most people have more to them than I need.

I'd Like it to be fairly simple. I want (1) 120v heating element to control temp of the mash. I'm planning on getting a PID, RTD sensor and SSR with Heatsink from Auber.com to control it.

I have a 5 gallon igloo that I picked up at Goodwill for $5 that I've already put a bulkhead and valve in. I have some 25' 3/8 copper tubing that I'll use for the exchanger inside. This will have the 120v low density heating element inside it.

Evil gnome seems to have down pretty much what I want, but with a LOVE controller :

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/just-finished-my-herms-controller-126690/

Now could I pretty much wire everything like he did, although instead of the Love, I'll have the PID & SSR?

Any input or direction appreciated.

Alan

so basically my answer is "yes"... auber vs love doesn't matter one bit, pinouts might change but you can figure that out. that element will work fine for a hlt, pretty much any element will work.

Personally, I think a PID is better for this application than a Love Temp Controller.
A Love controller is a fairly simple ON/Off device and a PID will very rapidly switch the output on and off to avoid overshooting and undershooting the target temp.

As far as fuses, that is a personal decision. I would never discourage anyone from building the safest device they can.

I know there tends to be some consumption during the brewing process and accidents can happen. I chose to build my rig as safe as I thought I could within reason.

Ed

Back