Muscadine wine 2010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
This is my formula I used for this years batch

1 3/4 gallon of juice from Ison muscadine variety
Water to make 5 gallons
1/8 tsp of grape tannin X 2
2 tsp plus a 1/2 tsp Acid Blend (came out to .45% Tartaric)
Sugar to get SG 1.125 (approx 14 lbs)
Lavlin EC-1118 wine yeast

Fermented just the grapes and yeast for 4 days and then pressed to get the juice. Then added everything to primary fermenters.

After taking a sample of this wine today after almost 2 monthes of fermenting I can honestly say this is my best batch to date. The muscadine flavor really comes through and it has just enough residual sugar that I do not have to back sweeten.

I took my red and white versions of this wine to a local winery today and had the owners taste and give me a review. They were very impressed with both wines and both preferred it over the local commercial varieties that are available in my area (those taste and smell like stinky feet). He kind of has me interested in starting a small businees with this just selling at arts and crafts festivals and at the local plantations to tourist. He is a member of the local ecomic developement board and is willing to help me through the permitting process.

I took my red and white versions of this wine to a local winery today and had the owners taste and give me a review. They were very impressed with both wines and both preferred it over the local commercial varieties that are available in my area (those taste and smell like stinky feet). He kind of has me interested in starting a small businees with this just selling at arts and crafts festivals and at the local plantations to tourist. He is a member of the local ecomic developement board and is willing to help me through the permitting process.

Maybe I'll try your recipe next year. I had never made wine before, only beer. We moved this year and my neighbor has a decent vine, and doesn't want any of the grapes, so I decided to make some. I found some simple wine on the interweb and went to town.

Off the top of my head: I had about a gallon of juice, to that I added a bunch of sugar, water, yeast nutrient and motrachet yeast.

I bet that tannin helps a lot.

Mine? oh, well, you ever had Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill? :cross:

Its actually not bad, just sweet, fruity, and alcoholy (if that's a word). I bottled it and I would bet its still fermenting and carbonating. I will try some at Christmas.

Back