AHS Holiday Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
Today I chilled and tapped the Austin Homebrew Supply Holiday Chocolate Stout.

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3597.jpg

I brewed it near the end of September, had about a three week primary, then kegged with priming sugar. Three weeks at room temp (about 74 degrees right now), then chilled for a day and tapped.

It definitely has a strong roasty, coffee-like flavor. The spices are stronger in the aroma than the actually taste. The spices seem to be at just the right level. I was surprised that it is very drinkable for how young it is. There is a slight off flavor that I can't my finger on. I will be bringing it to a more trained palate soon to identify it, if possible.

Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Eric

Looks great. I bottled mine on 11/20 so it has a ways to go until I crack one open. That said, what FG did you hit? After 3+ weeks in primary, I couldn't get lower than 1.025.

It did taste good out of the primary, but a little sweeter than I would have liked. I added some 100% fermentables to my wort during the boil and ended up with 1.08 SG. So this should still pack a punch (which is good because I don't imagine drinking more than 1 or 2 of these at a time).

I also racked 1 gallon to secondary and added a chipotle pepper. Having dreams of a Mexican Hot Chocolate beer. Will definitely post results!

Looks great. I bottled mine on 11/20 so it has a ways to go until I crack one open. That said, what FG did you hit? After 3+ weeks in primary, I couldn't get lower than 1.025.

It did taste good out of the primary, but a little sweeter than I would have liked. I added some 100% fermentables to my wort during the boil and ended up with 1.08 SG. So this should still pack a punch (which is good because I don't imagine drinking more than 1 or 2 of these at a time).

I also racked 1 gallon to secondary and added a chipotle pepper. Having dreams of a Mexican Hot Chocolate beer. Will definitely post results!

My SG was 1054 and my FG was 1016. The off flavor was astringency, perhaps I oversparged.

Eric

Back