Kegs at room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
I just finished my keezer, I dont have a temp controller for it (bought everything yesterday, but somehow forgot the temp controller). I am planning on kegging today, can I just sit them in the keezer at room temp, and go ahead and hook the co2 up? I will be getting the temp controller soon. Or, add priming sugar and let it carb naturally for 2 weeks? Opinions and tips welcome, as this is my first keg job, thanks.:mug:

Beer absorbs CO2 better when cold. As a result at room temp you aren't likely to get proper carbonation anyway. If I were you I'd either do sugar, or just fill it up w/some CO2 and purge it to get the oxygen out so that there is no pressure but the air that is in there is CO2.

Leave it that way at room temp until the thermostat arrives, chill, after 24 hours hook the CO2 back up and pressurize.

Thanks for the reassurance fellows, I think I am going to just hit it a few times with co2, bleeding the pressure off a few times too, and just dit it in the keezer til I make another trip to the lhbs. :mug:

Look up a carbonation chart. It will tell you at what temp what pressure you need to get the carbonation level you want. It will take a higher pressure at room temp but it will still work.

You could clean out room in the kitchen fridge and stuff it all in there. That's what I did. It makes for a good reason to tackle the nasty job of cleaning everything out of the fridge.

You could clean out room in the kitchen fridge and stuff it all in there. That's what I did. It makes for a good reason to tackle the nasty job of cleaning everything out of the fridge.

Good luck doing that if you are married.

2.4 vol at 75*F would take 30psi. I would either prime it with sugar, or wait until you get the temp controller and then force carb.

Back