American IPA All Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safale - 05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 60 deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks at 60 deg
7lbs Muntons Extra Light DME
1/2lb Crystal 40

Steeped in 1.5 gallons of 160 deg water for 20 minutes.

1.5 oz Amarillo 8%AA for 60 Min
1 oz Amarillo 8%AA for for 15 Min
1 oz Amarillo 8%AA for for 5 Min
.5 oz Amarillo 8%AA for at flameout

Beer came out nice and smooth with just the right amount of hop bitterness for me. Real hop heads might want to up the hop additions and consider dry-hopping.

Just tried my attempt at this yesterday as I put it in the keg and I like it. Now I just have to fight the urge to drink it all right away and actually let it age a bit.

(only thing I changed was used Cal Ale yeast instead and went a bit longer on primary and secondary because I'm too lazy to transfer things sometimes)

Just got back from entering this in my local club IPA competition and everyone liked the beer although the judges were split on hop level. I'm with TheJadedDog on this, good hop level for me but hopheads will want to add more hops.

sphericalcamel said:
Just got back from entering this in my local club IPA competition and everyone liked the beer although the judges were split on hop level. I'm with TheJadedDog on this, good hop level for me but hopheads will want to add more hops.

Was your beer one of the first to be judged or did it go later? It could be that some of the judges got "hopped out". If your judges were split, this would be a good explanation. For competition AHA, IPA, DIPA, I hop at the top end of the scale in case I have to overcome judge's palate fatigue.

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
Was your beer one of the first to be judged or did it go later? It could be that some of the judges got "hopped out". If your judges were split, this would be a good explanation. For competition AHA, IPA, DIPA, I hop at the top end of the scale in case I have to overcome judge's palate fatigue.

It was fifth, so thats possible. In my case I was making it for me and just matched up with the competition so I entered it. In the future I'll probably bump up the hops like you do for that reason.

Just brewed this tonight. Accidentally put 1oz of Amarillo in only 15 minutes into the boil instead of 45 minutes. Oh well, I'm sure this will be fine. I'll post an update when it comes out of the fermenter in a few months.

I just cracked open my first bottle of this brew last night, and it was very good. The Amarillo hops make for a different, but excellent IPA. I did a few things differently, in part unintentionally (was out of town at 3 weeks when I originally meant to bottle). I increased the boil volume to 3 gallons to try and get a little more hop utilization, added half of the DME at flameout and fermented in primary only for one month at 65*. I will definitely brew this recipe again in the near future with about an ounce more hops spread out over the process, but the result is very good as is, and I think it will be very popular with friends and familly. (EDIT: I am brewing this again in the original recipe, the reviews have been too good to mess with it without more of a pipeline)

Thanks to TheJadedDog for sharing this.

gonna give this a shot tomorrow. I see that the fermentation temp listed is 60 degrees. I can either put this in the basement or upstairs-the basement stays between 57-60 and upstairs is between 68-72. Can anyone give me some advice on what my best bet would be?

Just brewed this today with a combination of a few suggestions that I gathered. I used thebeerbrewer's hop schedule with 5oz of hops and added 3lbs of DME in the beginning of the boil and the rest at the end as I wanted to try a late extract addition. As far as ingrediants, my LHBS only had crystal 25 and 50 so I opted for the 25 and used 12oz instead of 1/2lb. Also used munton's gold instead... lookin forward to this one!

ak47clown,

Keep us posted on your results. I am interested in how it will work out with 5 oz of hops. I am planning to brew my second batch this week, and after some additional reading I may try and push the limits of my brew pot and boil 4 gallons. Munton's Gold is the yeast you used?

yup-munton's premium gold was what I picked up. My LHBS didn't have much of a choice when it came to dry yeasts and I wasn't ready to do a liquid yeast yet (that'll come maybe for my 3rd brew).

I'll defintely keep you guys posted on how it goes. It's a shame that thebeerbrewer never updated how his turned out but we'll see. My temperature adjusted OG was 1.064 so that's fairly close to the one listed in this recipe.

Well at 4 days in i checked the SG and got a reading of 1.017-not too bad at all-i struggle with maintaining a consistent temp when fermenting but i've tried to keep it between 66 and 70 the past few days. I couldn't let the SG reading go to waste so i sampled it and i'm impressed. It's defintely got a nice hop flavor to it and i'm defintely considering dry hopping it when i rack to the secondary in few days. I'm thinking that an additional oz. is gonna add just the right zing to it. we'll see...

I think that my fist batch came out to an FG of about 1.017, although I think my OG was a little higher than yours at 1.070. It was my second batch and I don't think I accounted for enough boil-off, though it may not have been mixed well enough.

When yours is done, let me know if you would like to exchange a bottle to compare.

defintely-i'd love to do a swap. I think either tomorrow or Wednesday i'm gonna head to my LHBS and see what he thinks about dry hopping-maybe i'll even pickup a different variety if he's got any recommendations... Guess that won't really make it something like almost all amarillo IPA lol...

i'd like to try this one out for my 2nd brew.

I like the idea of using 5 oz of hops instead of 4 but have a question. Would it be better to add the extra oz of hops during the boil or do a dry hop?

I would consider myself a hop head but don't want to just start throwing in hops willy nilly :), especially on the 2nd brew.

I would suggest making the original recipe first, then based on your impression, you can change it up. I have my second batch going right now and the only changes I made were boil volume (4 gallons) and late extract addition (4 lbs. at 10). It is very good as is. 4 oz of amarillo gives you a lot of flavor without being overpowering. People who have tried this have asked for more whenever they stop by the house. I have had a hard time holding out a few bottles to taste over time.

If you really wanted it to be super hop heavy, I would go with a dry hop.

thanks duck,

I've got Amarillo and Cascade hops right now. What would the difference be with 1 oz of cascade dry hopped vs amarillo.

I guess I would have to change the name if I used Cascade, huh?:)

I ended up dry hopping with glacier hops-it's a very floral hop apparently. To my understanding, dry hopping is more for aroma than anything. Either way it came out damn good-i don't think you can go wrong

Ok so I've pulled together the ingredients for this after a trip to my LHBS, which isn't that local as it is 130 km away. Never mind that my friend is (fingers crossed) bringing me back whole amarillo hops from the big city.

However the LHBS didn't have some of the ingredients so we've subbed out extra light DME for Pale LME. Using the calculation in this post I've come back with ~8lbs of Pale LME. Any concerns around me making the switch from DME to LME?

He also didn't have Safale yeast so I grabbed some Windsor and some Nottingham. Which one should i use? He suggested the Windsor as it was pretty close to the Munton's someone used earlier in the thread.

I had used Munton's which turned out great. Of the two you got, it looks like you might be better off with the nottingham. Looks like it's more suited towards ales than the Windsor. In regards to DME or LME, as long as you did the calculations I think you should be fine

I brewed up a batch last night. I had to make a few substitutions because of local supply:

I used Nottingham yeast and used Pale LME. However after taking an OG and finding a low reading I made and read some posts to find out why. Turns out I used an incorrect conversion for DME to LME that i found in this thread. Apparently that was an incorrect calculation. I used 7.5 lbs of LME and I should've used almost 9!

The other reason for the low OG was a noob mistake. I simply forgot to dump the wort back and forth between the brew pot and primary a few times. ( i'd put a :redface: smiley in here if i could)

In the end I followed the hop schedule in the original recipe. Did a 3 gallon boil. It's in the primary bucket right now. I'll move it to a secondary in a week. I was thinking about dry hopping but now, because of the LME mistake I doubt it needs it.

I thought your conversion to 8 lbs mentioned above seemed a little on the low side, but you linked to a Revvy post to say where you got the calc, so I wasn't going to question it. I have read a few things saying DME ratio should be between 75 and 80% of the LME amount. I should have said something. It will come out with a lower ABV, but that will just make it more of a session beer.

Did you do a late addition on the extract? I wouldn't worry about it either way, but if not, you probably wouldn't get the IBUs up too crazy high. Also, dry hopping won't make it any more bitter, so if you wanted to dry hop, I say go for it (though my first batch was really good without a dry hop, and I did batch two the same way).

The conversion on DME to LME was wrong. I made a thread in the beginner's brew forum about it and it went a few pages. The conversion Revvy used might originate from the Palmer book. Rather the best source is to go to manufacturer websites and see that the calclulation is to multiply by 1.25 not 1.1.

Basically i put in around 7.5 lbs lme when i should've used 8.75lbs. Like you said Duck it'll have a lower ABV.

I did not do a late extraction. I added it all at the beginning after steeping my crystal and bringing that to a boil. What does a late extraction provide?

I will check the gravity at the end of this week and eventually move it to a secondary. I'll probably dry hop it since i have an oz of amarillo left over. Anyone have a recommended dry hop schedule? I have never done it before.

Thanx for the recipe, I'm going to try that this weekend. Quick question though, why 3 weeks in secondary. Is that to age it a little?

TG,

Late extract addition seems to be practiced by many. It involves adding about half of the extract with 10 minutes left in the boil, or at flameout letting the wort sit for 10 minutes before cooling. There are a few advantages that I am aware of. Extract caramelizes during the boil, so a late addition will reduce that impact. The result is better fermentability, lighter color and flavor (which can be difficult to acheive with extract). Also, because you are boiling a lower gravity wort, you get better hop utilization. That helps to get more hoppy goodness out of every ounce.

Stunna,

The 3 week secondary is for clearing and bulk aging. There are MANY differing views on this procedure (and thread counts to match). I have used a primary only for this beer both times, but try both and see what works best for you. And let us know how it turns out.

Just bottled my first IPA today. I changed the original recipe up a bit to the following:

1) White Labs British Ale WLP005
2) Only 3.5 lbs. of DME used at first, then remaining 3.5 lbs. at 10 minutes remaining, followed by a 10 min. rest before cooling.
3) Primary-7 days, Secondary-14 days
4) Dry hopped 1 oz. Amarillo final 7 days
5) Carmel 40 L, 1/2 lb

Tasted great before bottling....

So I have just opened up a couple bottles of this tonight and I am quite happy/ relieved.

I had tried a bottle a week ago after only 2 weeks conditioning and it was not good. Therefore I had the noob nerves about it. However I've had a couple tonight and its been great. Fantastic aroma.

In the end I had it in primary for a week, secondary for 3 including dry hopped w/ 1 oz of leaf amarillo and then 3 weeks bottle conditioning. The only thing i'd like to see out of it is a little more head retention so perhaps some carapils or wheat malt could be added to the grain bill?

This is only gonna get better with age, I hope I don't drink it all too quick.

**UPDATE**
So I just opened my first bottle after 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary with final week dry hopped @ 1.0 oz., and 2 weeks in the bottle. I am very happy with the result. Great head retention, good hop flavor and aroma but not overpowering, and plenty of alcohol. I would like for it to be a little sweeter next time, more like a Stone IPA.

I made this recipe about 2 months ago. I added too much water to the boil, so I had a low OG 1.055. I bottled after 3 weeks in primary, FG 1.013. The result is fantastic, though it is a bit bitter for my taste. I hunch this is due to the wort being diluted from the additional water.

I just brewed the recipe again today, since I like it so much. I added 0.25 lbs of Munich malt to the steep, and I'm using Nottingham instead of US-05. I hit the end of boil volume exactly. Lost some wort due to hops in the pot, so only about 4.5 gal made it into my primary. Hopefully with a bit more sugar the bitterness will be less noticeable.

Just ordered the ingredients to do a batch of this. Sounds good. I've never brewed with Amarillo before, but from what I understand there is a lot of citrus to it, which I love.

Using the recipe as written plus 1 oz of Amarillo as a dry hop, and yeast cultured from two bottles of Bell's Pale Ale (which from what I've read is a lot like Wyeast 1272 American Ale II).

It's brewing right now. :)

This is my first outdoor LP-powered batch. I have to say this is much more fun that standing around in the kitchen.

Managed to do a 5 gallon full boil in my 6.5 gallon turkey fryer kettle (with the help of a spray bottle of water). So far, anyway. (Fingers crossed.)

So for those that are adding the extra ounce of hops. When are you adding it? At the 15 min mark and the 5 min? Or just one addition mark?

Thanks, Tim

Back