Ag reciepe ipa help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salb29

Reaction score
Third all grain brew...This is what I have let me know if I'm on the right track thanks

Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil size: 7.89

11 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs Vienna malt
1.5 lbs caramel/crystal malt 20l

1 oz warrior 60 min
.50 warrior 50 min
.50 cascade 30 min
1 oz citra 2 min
.50 oz cascade dry hop 7 days
Safale us 05

Single infusion, full body, batch sparge

Mash 20.70 quarts at 150 60 min
Batch sparge .85 gal then 4.35 gal at 168

Boil 60 min

Og: 1.066
Ibus: 70.7
Color: 6.6
Abv: 6.8%
Brew house ef: 72
Taste rating: 30
Fg: 1.014

Let me know thanks guys

Third all grain brew...This is what I have let me know if I'm on the right track thanks

Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil size: 7.89

11 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs Vienna malt
1.5 lbs caramel/crystal malt 20l

1 oz warrior 60 min
.50 warrior 50 min
.50 cascade 30 min
1 oz citra 2 min
.50 oz cascade dry hop 7 days
Safale us 05

Single infusion, full body, batch sparge

Mash 20.70 quarts at 150 60 min
Batch sparge .85 gal then 4.35 gal at 168

Boil 60 min

Og: 1.066
Ibus: 70.7
Color: 6.6
Abv: 6.8%
Brew house ef: 72
Taste rating: 30
Fg: 1.014

Let me know thanks guys

i like your grain bill. I would change the hop schedule around a little. keep your 60min but then do later hop additions 15min then a flame out. 2oz at 15 and 2 at flame out. let it sit for 20 min before you cool it down. Then a 1-2 oz dry hop. This is my go to schedule for IPA's and have had good luck. ps your going to lose some wort to the hops.

I don't think you're going to see any difference between (1oz @ 60, .5 @ 50) and (1.5 @ 60)...just another step to worry about.

TravisT said:
i like your grain bill. I would change the hop schedule around a little. keep your 60min but then do later hop additions 15min then a flame out. 2oz at 15 and 2 at flame out. let it sit for 20 min before you cool it down. Then a 1-2 oz dry hop. This is my go to schedule for IPA's and have had good luck. ps your going to lose some wort to the hops.

So...

1 oz warrior 60 min
2 oz cascade at 15 min
2 oz citra at 0 min
1 oz cascade dry hop 7 days

Ibu at a nice 57.2 instead of 70

This is going to be tasty.

The only change I'd make is adding an additional 1-2 oz of cascade and/or citra to the dry hop. 0.5 oz dry hop is going to have a relatively light nose, even with Citra's help at 2 minutes.

I agree with JDGator. 70 IBUs is not out of the IPA realm with an OG of 1.066. My last IPA I made had an OG of 1.063 and 54 IBUs. A good amount of late Cascade and Willamette. It was darn good, but my first reaction to trying it was that it could use more bittering hops next time.

It looks pretty good to me. Here's what I would do, but by no means what you need to do.

1. I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with your recipe, but if it were me, I'd increase the later hops editions (20 minutes or less) and maybe drop/reduce some of the longer editions. I prefer my IPAs with great hop flavor.
2. Your mash temp is 150 which is fine, but you're using the full body mash profile which normally means a 154 mash; 150 is too low for what I consider a full body beer. An IPA typically has medium, or med-light body, so 150 isn't a bad mash temp for the style, but it's not a full body mash temp. I usually use Beermsmith's medium body mash profile, 152 degrees, for my IPAs.
3. The sparge edition volumes are weird. Beersmith always seems to do this by default. I check the "Drain mash tun before sparging" button under the mash profile to correct this.

So...

1 oz warrior 60 min
2 oz cascade at 15 min
2 oz citra at 0 min
1 oz cascade dry hop 7 days

Ibu at a nice 57.2 instead of 70

1.5oz warrior at a 60min for a 70ibu would be fine as well. this will be a good beer. lots of hop flavor and aroma.

Depends what you like, but 1.5lbs of crystal would be way too much for my tastes. I prefer the 8oz range, but 8oz-1lb is pretty standard.

For commercial level hop aroma, I'd recommend 3oz for dry hop. A half oz is pretty stingy for an IPA.

Agree with Pie and billl, much of this is personal preference but I'd up the later additions. I like to load up on the flameout/whirlpool and dry hop for my IPA's. Not necessarily wrong but IMO splitting the warrior between 50 and 60 min seems unnecessary. They're both bittering so I'd just do a single additon at 60 for the IBU you are targeting. Like billl i'd cut the crystal in half, but again a preference thing. I do like the lower mash temp for this. Report back on what you do and how it turns out!
:mug:

Edit: in addition to checking "drain the mashtun" I also check the "sparge in equal batches" option to avoid the odd sparge amounts.

Like was mentioned, the amount of crystal is too much and the late hopping is lacking. You have a pretty good base there, though! You want to have firm, but not overwhelming, bitterness and .75 ounce of warrior might give you plenty of bitterness.

I'd tweak it like this:
11 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs Vienna malt
.75 lbs caramel/crystal malt 20l

.75 oz warrior 60 min
1 oz cascade 15 minutes
1 oz citra 5 minutes
dryhop with cascade and citra 5-7 days

Safale us 05

I'd try this in a brewing calculator and shoot for about 30-40 IBUs with the bittering hops alone and then get the rest of the IBUs from the late hops.

10 days ago i made a "garbage day ipa". Kegged 5gal tonight and still have another 5gal in a carboy. Ibu's were 76 and abv should be in the 5% range. I love hoppy beers but dont want the high abv. I like to drink more drinks during a weekend or week at the cottage.

Hops at :50 and :30 are kind useless. :50 all the flavor/aroma is still gone; all you've done is reduce utilization for bittering. @ :30 you're getting some bittering, but boiling off most of the flavor/aroma. 20-10 is the sweet spot for flavor, 5-0 and dry hop for aroma. I've had 80 IBU beers that were bitter of course, but with very disappointing levels of hop character. In general your late additions should outweigh your bittering charge for an American IPA...

Update: my first IPA recipe turned out great 3 weeks in primary, I put 2oz of cascade and citra in hop bag directly into primary for 7 days of dry hoping, so 4 weeks total and then kegged at 15 psi, it's a citrusy hoppy wonderfully smooth beer, thanks for all the help on this!

Back