One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love crispy fat but if I get to eat soft fat by accident I do get puky.
I hate the feeling of soft fat... Makes me shudder just thinking about it...

So if I had fatty pig's tails I'd score them, slow/low bake them to render the fat and eat them crunchy. I wouldn't give a crap if the minimal meat in them was overcooked.

Just scratched one off my list. Cowfoot soup.

One of the most mediocre things I have ever tasted. Almost unworthy of mention if this werent the thread to mention such things.

****A PSA to all the morel people in this thread: There is no faster way to kill yourself than eating the wrong wild mushroom. Please get educated or, better yet, go with someone who knows what they are talking about before you go traipsing around in the woods eating fungus.

I'd love to try durian and actual Kobe beef(not the wagyu bull**** that is 99% of what's sold in the US)

There's a No Reservations Seoul episode and one of the dishes is live octopus...it's sort of a rice dish with kimchi and a bunch of other vegetables, and they dump the octopus on top...sounds mean but you think a shark makes sure an octopus is dead before eating it? Anyways I've been wanting to eat that for years.

I'm in seoul now, and just had it. Very tasty, but I feel like it's mostly for effect. The suckers are still working, so you dip it quickly in a sesame-oil and salt mixture which makes is salty and slippery, and then put it in your mouth. The taste is very good if you like seafood, and you can't help but laugh when the suckers stick on to your mouth and tongue. I'd have it again!

The preparation I had didn't have anything else with it, however kimchi is very good as well.

I've been all over the world and tried to seek out some strange things, maybe I should start making suggestions for folks! :ban::ban:

-BeerGrylls

****A PSA to all the morel people in this thread: There is no faster way to kill yourself than eating the wrong wild mushroom. Please get educated or, better yet, go with someone who knows what they are talking about before you go traipsing around in the woods eating fungus.
I couldn't agree more! Been mushroom hunting and plant foraging for over 45 years. My grandparents and parents taught me and I've been teaching my wife and kids. I still use reference books when I go to a new area and I attend any classes offered for plant/mushroom identification. The reason being that the flora I learned was safe in Michigan and Ohio growing up may not exist in the regions I have since lived in.

My parents were professional Mushroomers for several years and even taught classes for a mushroom club in Oregon, but I have never seen another mushroom that could be confused with a morel.

it's hard to disagree with this. especially with morels/false morels, or caesar's amanita/destroying angel etc. but, there are more risky and less risky ways of foraging for mushrooms. the most risky would be (and this is unfortunately what a lot of non-foragers think we do...) 1. go out in the woods 2. find and collect any mushroom encountered 3. go home and try to figure out what it is and whether it's edible.
the most safe way would be: wait until the exact season for a mushroom impossible to mistake for something toxic; hen of the woods or chicken mushroom are two great examples. in this case the worst you can do is pick a woody shelf mushroom and try to eat it, you might lose your teeth but that's it. pick only the mushroom you're after, if you come across anything else say "oh that's nice" and move on.

We crazy people up here in Finland eat a whole lot of false morels. In finnish, they are called korvasieni.

They need to be parboiled outside. Even the vapors are toxic. Literally millions of people here eating them every year, though. They are even sold in supermarkets, already parboiled.

My Wife tried raw oysters for the first time in her life. She ate the first one, turned to me and said "These are Damn Good! Let's order some more!"
This was on Saturday. She picked me up from work yesterday and said "Let's go to the Oyster Bar for dinner!" We had raw oysters, of course, but she also tried the King Crab Cocktail, almost a meal in itself. We also sampled several prepared oysters; Bienville, Mornay, Rockefeller and a couple others. They serve fresh from over in Cordova.

I still can't get her to eat sushi though.

My Wife tried raw oysters for the first time in her life. She ate the first one, turned to me and said "These are Damn Good! Let's order some more!"
This was on Saturday. She picked me up from work yesterday and said "Let's go to the Oyster Bar for dinner!" We had raw oysters, of course, but she also tried the King Crab Cocktail, almost a meal in itself. We also sampled several prepared oysters; Bienville, Mornay, Rockefeller and a couple others. They serve fresh from over in Cordova.

I still can't get her to eat sushi though.

My niece turns 21 today. When she was 6 my brother, sil, and her came to visit me in FL. Bro and SIL ordered 2 dozen raw, and she wanted to try one. They started cointing when the oysters were gone. Bro and SIL had a dozen and my neice finished a dozen herself

Hell if she like oysters go to a Japanese Restaurant and get some Sea Urchin. You eat the ovaries, they taste like creamy butter. fair warning though, they're Good eatin' if they're fresh; a nightmare if they aren't. You can generally tell a reputable sushi restaurant from the mid/low grade one's depending on if they cut all their fish fresh from the fillets.

We crazy people up here in Finland eat a whole lot of false morels. In finnish, they are called korvasieni.

They need to be parboiled outside. Even the vapors are toxic. Literally millions of people here eating them every year, though. They are even sold in supermarkets, already parboiled.

wow!
i have heard that you wackos also eat amanita muscaria parboiled, and that it's tasty and non-psycogenic. comment??

wow!
i have heard that you wackos also eat amanita muscaria parboiled, and that it's tasty and non-psycogenic. comment??

It's definitely psychoactive, but very different and subtle compared to its... brethren. Not psychedelic, if that's what you mean. That "tea" tastes like garbage though, literally... uh, I read that somewhere.

A few of you have mentioned "Rocky Mountain Oysters," I've had 'em & they're not bad at all; but for the full experience you should try 'em at the Testicle Festival:
http://testyfesty.com/
Happens next week & FYI: it can get a little wild at times; fun, but wild.
Click on "more" to see how wild it can get.
Regards, GF.

wow!

Finns don't eat a. muscaria, but it is very popular in Latvia as well as Japan. A. muscaria is not toxic or psychoactive once it's been parboiled.

A. muscaria grows in huge numbers here in Finland, I have ran across it all the time when out mushroom hunting in August and September - many of them as large as dinner plates. Quite many of them are missing big chomps from them as well; it's a favorite food of deer.

Most of the conventional wisdom today regarding a. muscaria is propoganda that was spread by the Catholic church when they were trying to stomp out shamanism (a. muscaria has been a favorite of northern shamans for ages). Fact is that they are not really very toxic at all and there have only been less than a handful of cases in recorded history, on the entire planet, where people have died from eating them (IIRC, one member of the british aristocracy died after eating more than thirty large specimens raw, but he was also quite fat so go figure).

Finns don't eat a. muscaria, but it is very popular in Latvia as well as Japan. A. muscaria is not toxic or psychoactive once it's been parboiled.

A. muscaria grows in huge numbers here in Finland, I have ran across it all the time when out mushroom hunting in August and September - many of them as large as dinner plates. Quite many of them are missing big chomps from them as well; it's a favorite food of deer.

Most of the conventional wisdom today regarding a. muscaria is propoganda that was spread by the Catholic church when they were trying to stomp out shamanism (a. muscaria has been a favorite of northern shamans for ages). Fact is that they are not really very toxic at all and there have only been less than a handful of cases in recorded history, on the entire planet, where people have died from eating them (IIRC, one member of the british aristocracy died after eating more than thirty large specimens raw, but he was also quite fat so go figure).

does the propaganda include the legend of the berserkers? (and true about the active ingredients passing through in your piss?)
cool info! don't think i'll try it though, enough boletus to keep me occupied...

I've heard that Swedes eat horse sometimes, I'd like to try it.
I'd also like to try emu.
And that little redhead who works at the sandwich shop. ;)

Totally regret having been curious... Ugh :(

IMG_20130728_035948.jpg

That explains it. in the maritimes it is really good, if you ever makeit to that part of the country try one and you will notice a huge difference

gratus fermentatio said:
I've heard that Swedes eat horse sometimes, I'd like to try it.
And that little redhead who works at the sandwich shop. ;)

Horse is good. Ate plenty when I lived in Italy. Mostly as burgers but had horse steak that was pretty good. A touch gamey from what I remember.

gratus fermentatio said:

Ostrich, emu and rhea are all hard to tell from beef if prepared correctly. I remember back in the 90's there was a restaurant that had a blind taste test with emu and beef. A huge majority (like 80%) said that the emu was the beef and that they liked it better.

French snails.. i have tasted allot of weird stuff... but still haven't tried that

taste like what they're cooked in. garlic, parsley, butter or olive oil. delicious. nice texture as long as they're cleaned out properly, ie not full of sand/mud

What dinnerstick said. I'd add that they have about the same appearance and texture as small button mushrooms. I've had them prepared the same way, and if you'd told me they were sauteed mushrooms, I wouldn't have known any different without looking really closely.

What dinnerstick said. I'd add that they have about the same appearance and texture as small button mushrooms. I've had them prepared the same way, and if you'd told me they were sauteed mushrooms, I wouldn't have known any different without looking really closely.

Oh man, and when you are done, dunking a little bread in the clarified butter sauce left behind... I think I need to be alone...

"I'd also like to try emu."

I had and emu burger once in South Georgia of all places, yea, it's pretty much beef,

Never had rhea or emu but I've had ostrich. It was lean beef as far as my palate was concerned. I'd eat it again.

Back