Speidel Plastic Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone bought the 3 gl Speidel? I see it doesn't include an air lock and it looks like the handle may be in the way if you installed one?

Just want to chime in. I've been using 2 60L tanks for about 8 months and I just love these tanks. Just well made purpose built fermentation vessels that have a lot of little features that make them great. Too bad the supply can't keep up with the demand.

I ordered mine on 11/30 and was told late December, then late January and now mid February. Got an email in now checking on it. I'm not waiting until May and will just ask for my money back. They're not keeping my money for 6 months with nothing to show for it. I don't need this fermenter but got it only cuz I wanted it.

I ordered mine on 11/30 and was told late December, then late January and now mid February. Got an email in now checking on it. I'm not waiting until May and will just ask for my money back. They're not keeping my money for 6 months with nothing to show for it. I don't need this fermenter but got it only cuz I wanted it.

I don't think our orders (mine on 11/26) will be delayed until May. I'm guessing that the October/November orders should be going out with this shipment.

These kind of games are exactly why I quit with "preorders". If they decided to keep your money, you're out of the window to dispute the transaction.

It's a tool the business does to put in a no risk bulk order. You as a customer assume all the risk. People seem happy to do the preorder games with homebrew vendors for some reason. But this is just another example of many recent problems with preorders from various retailers people have posted.

I was bumped 3 times since my 10/11/12 order... I was shipped a 20L in December (I ordered a 60 & 20) .... That was dissapointment in the making... Saw the ship notice, thought I was getting the big one, got home and saw the box. Thought, how can they get such a big thing in a little box... Just didn't click until I opended the box and saw the small one. Now I know how my kids feel when I buy the wrong Lego set.

Sent an email over the weekend asking on status. Was told I was to get mine shipped out this week. A little bit later I got a ship email.... So, it looks like I'll be making a 10 gallon batch soon!
Woot! Woot!

I've been interested in ordering one of these for at least a year but every time I go to the site, they are out of stock. Are these things ordered by the container load...or just a bulk shipment? This has probably already been asked and answered, but why do we only have one vendor for these in the US?

So, about 2 yrs ago, I found these on ebay. They are 8-9 gal and HDPE. I have three and I added valves to two and left the other without a valve. I'm going to find that seller and ask if he still has access to these. I thought I posted these in this thread, but it must have been a different Speidel thread.
DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

I was bumped 3 times since my 10/11/12 order... I was shipped a 20L in December (I ordered a 60 & 20) .... That was dissapointment in the making... Saw the ship notice, thought I was getting the big one, got home and saw the box. Thought, how can they get such a big thing in a little box... Just didn't click until I opended the box and saw the small one. Now I know how my kids feel when I buy the wrong Lego set.

Sent an email over the weekend asking on status. Was told I was to get mine shipped out this week. A little bit later I got a ship email.... So, it looks like I'll be making a 10 gallon batch soon!
Woot! Woot!

Being that you ordered a day before me and it's on the way, is encouraging. I dropped them an email. I guess I'll have to see if I'm as lucky as you were.

I've been interested in ordering one of these for at least a year but every time I go to the site, they are out of stock. Are these things ordered by the container load...or just a bulk shipment? This has probably already been asked and answered, but why do we only have one vendor for these in the US?

MoreBeer orders them by the container.

Apparently they load them on an old-timey wooden ship, come across the Atlantic and down around the Southern tip of South America, up the coast to finally reach the San Francisco Bay. :drunk:

Who knows why they are the only vendor in the US... they seem to be a pretty limited production operation, so that may be it.

Just got a reply back from them that they have received their most recent shipment and orders are being shipped out within the next 7-10 business days.
That said, they didn't specifically state that MINE was the one to go out in a week but I'll wait another 2 weeks and if nothing, I'll cancel and ask for a refund.
I'm thinking that since I asked about mine and they replied with what looked to be an uncanned reply, that I'm good.

MoreBeer orders them by the container.

Apparently they load them on an old-timey wooden ship, come across the Atlantic and down around the Southern tip of South America, up the coast to finally reach the San Francisco Bay. :drunk:

Who knows why they are the only vendor in the US... they seem to be a pretty limited production operation, so that may be it.

I wish they'd sell them on the East Coast. I live near Baltimore and it sucks to have them shipped to California and then shipped back east to me.

Yeah, the whole Germany to California thing does not make sense. Maybe someone will strike an east coast distributor deal.

BTW, the guy who sells the ones that I posted in post 254 still has these things. He sells them for $20 plus shipping. To me in the Atlanta area, shipping is $13. He ships them w/o a box with a label stuck to the container. A little soak in OxyClean usually cleans them up nicely and they are safe to use. I don't remember what comes in them, but it was safe...at least the last time I bought them.

Yeah, the whole Germany to California thing does not make sense. Maybe someone will strike an east coast distributor deal.

BTW, the guy who sells the ones that I posted in post 254 still has these things. He sells them for $20 plus shipping. To me in the Atlanta area, shipping is $13. He ships them w/o a box with a label stuck to the container. A little soak in OxyClean usually cleans them up nicely and they are safe to use. I don't remember what comes in them, but it was safe...at least the last time I bought them.

Does he have smaller sizes? I'm looking for a 3-4 gal for 2.5 gal batches.

Does he have smaller sizes? I'm looking for a 3-4 gal for 2.5 gal batches.

I only recall seeing the big ones. These were used in the pharma industry and had empty capsules or something in them. He was advertising them as home brew fermenters when I originally bought mine.

I emailed morebeer. I got the 7-10 days replay. Hopefully it'll get shipped soon. I can't wait to try these puppies out!

I ordered October of last year (2012) and mine showed up today (2/12/13)! This looks to be a solid fermenter. I filled it up with water and it didn't leak at all, even upside down. It's very heavy when full, but that is to be expected. I'll be brewing up 10 gallons to put in it this week, for sure.

Woo hoo! 28 minutes after receiving a response to my order inquiry, I received the email that my 11/26 order had shipped! Coincidence? Perhaps.

It's here! How quickly I'm willing to forgive. These are very nice.

The lid seems to have a bit of fiddling needed to open, but really well-built. I'll have to buy a standard bung so I can use a shorter airlock. Otherwise it won't fit in my temperature control freezer. But the bung and oversized airlock that's included is great. Just wont work for me at this time of year for me on something so big.
I just finished scaling up an IPA recipe to 10.2 gallons. I just need to find some time to brew it!

It's here! How quickly I'm willing to forgive. These are very nice.

The lid seems to have a bit of fiddling needed to open, but really well-built. I'll have to buy a standard bung so I can use a shorter airlock. Otherwise it won't fit in my temperature control freezer. But the bung and oversized airlock that's included is great. Just wont work for me at this time of year for me on something so big.
I just finished scaling up an IPA recipe to 10.2 gallons. I just need to find some time to brew it!

I've posted this a couple of times in this thread but maybe you haven't seen it. This is what I'm doing so that it will fit in a small chest freezer.

dsc0240rk.jpg

I love my Speidels. I highly recommend them.

I have 2 of the 30 Quart units. Bought 1 and once I saw it in person loved it so much I ordered (more correctly back-ordered) a second one. I love the carrying handles and the wide mouth top access for ease of cleaning rite up to my shoulder when scrubbing the bottom of the tank. And not to mention the absence of glass and the scarey potential broken glass situation that represents. All in all a well worth it equipment expense in my case
I love my Speidedels.
:rockin:

Nice idea for the blowoff.. how does it seem to work with a vigorous fermentation boilover?

I'm usually not pushing it as far as volume is concerned so I haven't had actual krausen get up to the airlock. I don't think it would handle a lot of gunk before it clogged.

Gameface said:
I've posted this a couple of times in this thread but maybe you haven't seen it. This is what I'm doing so that it will fit in a small chest freezer.

NIce!

Good alternative.

Has anyone tried to ferment as little as 2 1/2 to 3 gallons in the 30L fermenter? I read somewhere that it's ok to do that in these things. Not what I'd do often but I like to make some test batches in small amounts or beers I'm not crazy about (for others) in small amounts and am curious about the extra headspace.

Just got word that Morebeer has the 3.3 gal available so I ordered one. Other sizes all look to still be out of stock.

I use the DIY which also has a spigot. I ferment for 3 weeks then bulk prime it and siter gently wait an hour ( while cleaning sanitzing bottles) then bottle.
It works great.

Back