Brewers Best - Belgian Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinchef_fairfax

Reaction score
Finally bottled this last night - (34) 12 oz. bottles and (4) 1 liter EZ-Caps.
Estimated ABV - 7.5 to 8%
Actual numbers - OG 1.075 - FG 1.009

1 week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary.
Ambient temp for the first week was between 54 and 57.
For the final two weeks it was between 63 and 66.
Every time I took measurements the beer was between 68 and 70 degrees.

It tasted so good when I took the final sample that I actually drank the last pint from the bottling bucket flat. I couldn't be happier. :ban:
belgian_golden_ale.JPG

I did my 1 week test just to make sure all was well. This beer is awesome even at one week - as it was good going into the bottle. I don't think it will make it 2 months!!!
belgian_golden_ale2.JPG

belgian_golden_ale3.JPG

Your pictures look great! I brewed this kit on 1/20 and racked on 2/9. The sample I tasted resembles Hoegaarden. Did you get similar results, and how is the taste after bottling/conditioning?

Your pictures look great! I brewed this kit on 1/20 and racked on 2/9. The sample I tasted resembles Hoegaarden. Did you get similar results, and how is the taste after bottling/conditioning?

I guess Hoegaarden would be a good example. It is quite strong with a great hop profile. I still need to list the recipe here.

The fermentation started off so cold by accident really. I just didn't know how cold the location was. Once I moved it the fermentation took off again and then finally settled down. So far there isn't a significant difference in the bottle aged beers versus what it tasted like in the first week... You can tell some minor changes - but they are more like rounding and smoothing of the flavor than drastic changes.

I'll have to sit and really go over one for a tasting profile. For now - I just keep drinking them!! The yeast named a post or two earlier in this thread is the right yeast.. Once I get the recipe up we can dig into it a little more.

Awesome. Same issue with the fermentation here...took over 48 hours to show any visible signs. My wife kept urging patience, but I was just about to pitch a second batch of yeast when a slight increase in temperature seemed to make it really take off. Three weeks later things settled (SG around 1.0/0.99) and so we racked it. Can't wait to bottle and drink this guy.

Here's the recipe finally. 60 minute boil.

6lbs CBW Pilsen Light DME
2lbs Golden Belgian Candi Syrup (@50)
1lb Blanc Soft Sugar (White)(@50)
2 oz Willamette (@60 and 30)
.5 oz Mt. Hood (@5)
And 1 pack of Belle Saison Yeast - Danstar

I have to say that near 3 months later - I liked this beer better when it was flat - before I bottled it. The samples were wonderful then - but now it just seems unbalanced and has changed significantly in flavor and body since it was bottled. Nothing tastes really off - or medicinal. It's just not the same beer it was before it went into the bottles. And I've noticed the head seems really bitter - where the rest of the beer doesn't have that characteristic.

I do notice that as it warms up a bit the flavor is a little better. When it's really cold it just doesn't taste right. I let one sit out for about 30 - 40 minutes and the flavor is better. Still not the same as it was when it was bottled.

Thanks for the update! Our batch hits three weeks in the bottles today...I put a six pack in the fridge for tonight, but based on your comments I think I'll keep the rest at room temp. Good heads up!

I went to the LHBS today and they seem to think that the yeast was still active and changing the character of the beer - so if you like the way it tastes now you might want to refrigerate it all. They said that because it is a Saison yeast that it is pretty robust and might be overworking the beer. Chilling them down will slow that process.

I left a few bottles with the LHBS last night and they just called to say that they thought the beer was perfectly brewed and that it was everything it should be. They said it was an excellent representation of the beer and that I might not be used to the style. So there you have it.. Turns out my taste buds are to blame for the alarm. There's nothing bad about it - just not what I'm used to or was expecting... Live to brew another day...

Awesome. Thanks for the updates. Notes from this weekend are that this brew is in fact delicious...and strong. Great kit, great results, great beer.

I'm about to brew this kit tonight. In fact I'm gonna have a hard time trying to concentrate at work today. ;)

My kit came with .5 oz. US Brewer's Gold for bittering and 2 oz. of German Hallertau for the flavor and aroma additions.

It also came with a packet of the Danstar Belle Saison yeast, but I didn't think one packet was going to be enough for the OG. I generally like liquid yeasts better, so I have a two-vial starter of White Labs WLP545 Belgian Strong Ale going right now.

Updates to come.

Cheers :mug:

Wow it must be amateur night tonight! I spent the night brewing this, and then without thinking, pitched the yeast starter before I took a gravity reading! Then I took a sample, didn't even bother getting a good look at it, and poured it right back into the bucket!

Oh the perils of too much homebrew on brew day. :drunk:

I'm kicking myself already, but I guess I'll just let it ride and see how it goes...

I know this is an old thread but I'll try anyway. .. I looked through the tread and did not see a flavor profile for this beer. My son got me a beer kit for Christmas Belgian Golden Ale. I have never brewed a Belgian Golden before and have never tasted one so I was looking for a flavor profile. I just put mine in the secondary and of course it is still full of floating yeasties. The thing tat really struck me was the very noticeable smell of apples and cinnamon. And the flavor is sweet with palatable apple flavor with a hint of cinnamon. Reminds me of the hot spiced cider I make with Christian Brothers Brandy and spiced apple cider during the holidays. It also has a present alcohol note to it. Not to the point of an alcohol burn but you know it is there. I did not take a reading but it should be close to the 7% - 8% desired for this beer. I was on the mark for OG.

I left a few bottles with the LHBS last night and they just called to say that they thought the beer was perfectly brewed and that it was everything it should be. They said it was an excellent representation of the beer and that I might not be used to the style. So there you have it.. Turns out my taste buds are to blame for the alarm. There's nothing bad about it - just not what I'm used to or was expecting... Live to brew another day...

That happened to me once with a double IPA, I had never had one, but brewed a batch at the request of a friend. when I tasted it I thought it was way to bitter and really fruity and I couldnt finish it.

turns out, i just dont like IPAII! everyone I had taste it said they loved it and walked away smiling with a 6er!

Go figure!

Wow it must be amateur night tonight! I spent the night brewing this, and then without thinking, pitched the yeast starter before I took a gravity reading! Then I took a sample, didn't even bother getting a good look at it, and poured it right back into the bucket!

Oh the perils of too much homebrew on brew day. :drunk:

I'm kicking myself already, but I guess I'll just let it ride and see how it goes...

been there, drunk that! LOL
i forget to take the OG at least 50% of the time, I usually just gage the ABV% by how it affects my friends

Latest posts

Back