Hallertau and....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrewski

Reaction score
What goes good with Hallertau as a paired hop? I've heard Saaz, but as of right now I don't have any. I was tempted to just do straight Hallertau, I do like the smell of noble hops, but was wondering if anyone had some good experience with any different kinds of hops used with it.

Thanks!

Crystal hops, any noble hops of course, and believe it or not, some US hops like Mt Hood and Liberty. (Hallertauer is one of the parents, though).

I haven't used enough noble hops to know their aroma or flavors. I did use some leaf tetnanger last year, it was a soft floral almost lemony flavor. I just went straight hallertau today, in a blond ale. Smelled great.

Hallertauer hersbrucker has been my go-to for a while. I think I could be totally happy just buying Hallertau, Magnum, and Fuggles.

Czech Saaz! Never used US Saaz, but it's much higher alpha so I figure it must be fundamentally different.

Edit- you said you don't have access to Saaz. I'll throw my vote to Hersbrucker then- nice, delicate, bright, and tasty.

Perle goes well with it as does spalt. I have also used Hallertau with cascade with good results.

Thanks for the input. I have not tried Perle or Ultra, will give that some thought. Hallertau with Cascade...that could be interesting.

Back