2010 Barrel Aged Beer Festival - Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
Did anyone happen to attend this year? I was lucky enough to go to the Saturday afternoon tasting, and it was incredible. Tried some of the craziest, best beers I've ever had. It's a shame that 90% of them will never be bottled, or I'll never see them again.

I can say that I didn't have a single bad beer.

I was there... I enjoyed myself quite a bit. :) I had a feeling that Snarleywine from Rock Bottom Warrenville would take home the Gold. I got to sample it a week ago at a competition I was stewarding at that location, and I knew it was amazing then...

The variety was better this year than years past... I've always felt like the competition was "Giant bourbon stouts and crazy wild beers", but this year there was quite a variety. I do think that, after three years, I am kind of "over it", though... I can only take so much bourbon-flavored beer and I thought the bourbon-barreled stuff this year was just WAY too bourbon-ey. I love a big stout as much as the next guy, but the over the top and persistent bourbon smell and taste from all those beers made them just sort of run together for me... and not in a good way.

Anyway, I think I will find something else for my beer outing next year, but CBS does run a great festival... thinking of volunteering at it next year for some addt'l experience.

Agreed about the bourbon. I love bourbon beers, but they did start tasting the same after the 6th or 7th drink. I find myself hanging around the sours and experimental area the most. I was very intrigued by the Mint Julip Stout, although I can't remember who brewed it and I don't have my program handy.

Back