3 Keggle Setup vs 2 Keggle/Cooler MLT Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoisufnoC

Reaction score
I've got a few bucks left over from the holidays so I'm going to dive into an AG setup. I already have one 1/2 barrel keggle that i've been using for extract batches, and I have sourced 2 more kegs locally. Is there a significiant benefit to having 3 Keggles for a AG brewing rig over 2 Keggles and a cooler as a MLT? I've collected 3 LP burners for this project, but dont have any pumps or a stand.

Just looking to get some advise, thanks in advance!! :tank:

I have yet to brew my first batch on my new rig, but I went with 2 keggles and a cooler MLT. I am guessing I'll move to another keggle at some point, but this seemed like a great place to start with AG.

I have only done the cooler mash tun but I'd say having a direct fired tun would give you an easier way to ramp up mash temps for a stepped mash without figuring out a bunch of infusions or decoctions. That said, the cooler tun works fine for me and I have no plans to upgrade any time soon except to a bigger cooler.

In a perfect world I would do a direct fired tun but the cost/benefit isn't there for me. I would have a totally different opinion if my budget was different :)

I think I'm going to get both kegs and share one with a friend who's a homebrewer, and then pick up a cooler to use as a MLT.

A keg MLT would allow for a large grist bill than a 10G cooler. Physical size is about the only issue that can't be overcome by process. *shrug*

Well, I bought the two kegs and a 50 qt coleman extreme (walmart had it for only 30 bucks, so i couldn't say no).

I'm going to convert the cooler to a MLT first and get started. If I find it to be too small I'll convert the third keg. Thanks for all the info guys.

Back