Wow, they've lost it now. [Beer in a Box]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
Wow, the BMCers have really lost it now. Now I am not opposed to BMC but this is just ridiculous and wrong.

Will you drink beer in a box? - Top Stocks Blog - MSN Money

My favorite part..."Now, with beer, the box might be less objectionable since, in my opinion, the quality issue is not really in play. Despite what the microbrewers will tell you, all beer is pretty much the same. Consumers who pay a premium do so more for the experience than the taste."

Is this guys absolutely crazy or is it just me?

No, it's just you. Every beer tastes exactly the same, you only think there is a difference because that's what the Secret Underground Drinking Society tells you.

Somebody, somewhere is now telling his/her friends, family and coworkers that "all beers taste the same, no matter what the microbrewers tell you" because they read it in a money article.

That makes me very, very sad.

Jease... freaking wine snob who wrote that article... I thought they have an editorial staff that reviews this crap... Where the hell is this guys references...

Someone should kick him in the nuts.

police_officer_cartman.jpg

Jease... freaking wine snob who wrote that article... I thought they have an editorial staff that reviews this crap... Where the hell is this guys references...

Someone should kick him in the nuts.

police_officer_cartman.jpg

Haha, RESPECT MY AUTHORITI!!!

I don't even know what to say about the 2 lines that I highlighted. The link to the article is at the bottom of the page.

Will you drink beer in a box?

Posted Jul 29 2009, 01:31 PM by James Dlugosch Rating: Filed under: Molson Coors Brewing, James Dlugosch

Imagine kicking back in the shade on a hot day and popping open an ice-cold box of beer.

Yes, you read that right: box.

The Wall Street Journal reports to that MillerCoors is testing beer in a box in several cities.

Now, like many people during this economic crisis, my wife and I are doing some personal belt-tightening of our own in order to save money. But there are some things I just won't do, including buying wine in a box.

Now, with beer, the box might be less objectionable since, in my opinion, the quality issue is not really in play. Despite what the microbrewers will tell you, all beer is pretty much the same. Consumers who pay a premium do so more for the experience than the taste.

But for me, the issue is the bottle. I like drinking my suds from a cold bottle. Period.

Put it in a glass, and the experience just isn't the same. And no matter how cheap they make it, I just can't see myself drinking beer from a box. (The current boxes deliver draft beer; you don't drink from them. But box wines started this way, and you can now buy merlot by the six-box pack.)

Of course, I'm not the target market, and there are many who will see value in this product. The big brewers are under pressure from consumers trading down to cut-rate brands, and in this economy, getting more for less is going to be a selling point for the foreseeable future.

With sales volumes dropping, this "buy more at point of sale" model could be just the tonic for beer companies. Even though, the Journal says, an 18-pack is still cheaper.

Shares of Molson Coors (TAP) have recovered nicely since bottoming in March. But it still trades more like a defensive stock. Will the beer-in-a-box transition create growth?

If so, TAP could be a big winner with this marketing ploy. Perhaps I should have added the name to my list of "Red-Hot Summer Sizzlers." The stocks on this list have an aggregate return of 19% since publication on May 22.

Seems to me beer in a box may be a trigger for a bump in share price. Just don't expect me to drink the stuff.

Will you drink beer in a box? - Top Stocks Blog - MSN Money

What an idiot! I personally don't think people should be writing about stuff they don't know about. "All beer is pretty much the same..."?? This guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. I wish I could give him a tour of our local bottle shop!

And putting beer in a glass? Is he really against that? Really? I think this guy should stick to other subjects other than beer. That would be like me writing about new yarn used for sewing. I'm sure that would be a great article. "The only difference is the colors..." Ugghh...

Well, when a vast majority of the beer sold in the US consists of beers whose style and flavor are almost identical, what do you expect? This is just another case that shows that ad men, not brewers, run the major American breweries.

He says that Microbrewers say their beers taste different. And he says they are wrong. What do you think?

Yep, he's stupidly. I have NEVER had a microbrew that tasted like Coors lite, or Bud, or anything like that. The only thing worse than this idiot showing how ignorant he is, is the fact that there are potentially hundreds of thousands or more who will take his word as the gospel, simply because he has written the article. We need a letter writing campaign to set him straight. The least he can do is have a few microbrews before he starts spouting such garbage. Ok, I'm pissed now.

He says that Microbrewers say their beers taste different. And he says they are wrong. What do you think?

Yep, he's stupidly. I have NEVER had a microbrew that tasted like Coors lite, or Bud, or anything like that. The only thing worse than this idiot showing how ignorant he is, is the fact that there are potentially hundreds of thousands or more who will take his word as the gospel, simply because he has written the article. We need a letter writing campaign to set him straight. The least he can do is have a few microbrews before he starts spouting such garbage. Ok, I'm pissed now.

He's a stock/money type guy. I looked at his other articles. He's obviously putting forth a conclusion he expects people to take for granted in an attempt to back up his take on boxed beer. Didn't work very well. I wouldn't take his stock market advice at face value either since it's quite obvious his opinions are jaded and/or he doesn't research his articles properly.

Would you drink it
in a box?
Would you drink it
with a fox?

Not in a box.
Not with a fox.
Not in a house.
Not with a mouse.
I would not drink it here or there.
I would not drink it anywhere.
I would not drink beer in a box.
I do not like it, Sam-I-am.

lol - ha ha ha - dr seuss

ok seriously, I might drink beer in a box - would be kind of convienient for a party or camping/fishing kind of excursions

i wonder how it would stay carbonated though ? a container like wine in a box probably woulnd't keep it carbonated once it was opened - not that it would bother me to drink the whole thing, but I might not want to drink it all at once

kind of suspect that cans would be better

and Q2XL - thats the best avatar ever

That's one of the first time I actually posted my opinion to an idiotic blog. I usually avoid blogs like computer viruses, but I had to respond to that one. Poor sap should stick to writing about flower arrangements and other subjects that are closer to his knowledge base.

I would consider drinking beer from a box if it was something other than that crap. that has to be the most ignorant statement I have ever seen written. He probably grew up on that crap and has never had a real beer.

Had a discussion about replacing kegs with other items and the question remains how to keep carbonated, and not introduce O2 into the beer.

I'm assuming that if the package truly is a carboard box, then the beer is not carbonated. Therefore I would have to assume that the CO2 is introduced at the spigot, like soda machines do.

Or, if there is actually a keg inside the box, then the CO2 could be used to replace the beer as it's poured and prevent the O2 from oxidizing the beer.

The best I could hope to get out of this is another method of kegging my beer. I do not have high hopes. I also cannot see how spending more for this packaging is going to work. I mean, cans are so handy. They chill fast. People can just grab one out the cooler and get back to the party. People drinking this beer don't care that much about drinking from a can.

Agreed - who the hell is that?

well your's is pretty nice too

anyway, back on subject... I'm quite sure I would drink beer out of a box, I'm not really sure I would prefer to buy beer in a box instead of just buying a case of cans, but why not ? Once you've seen what a bucket of fermented beer looks like when you open the top of the bucket, you shouldn't be grossed out over a carboard box

Addendum: After looking at a close-up image, I believe they are using a CO2 cartridge to either A) Carb the beer like a soda machine, or B) replace the boxes CO2 with CO2 from a cartridge.

Then the question remains whether this will be a device that Homebrewers can use to their advantage. I might have to buy one just to find out. I imagine that this thing will not be on the market for very long.

They could do it like a wine in the box with one of those things inside a guiness bottle in it, except maybe bigger. And if you take it to a party or something, wouldn't get a chance to go flat anyway.

Wait, did anyone else see this at the bottom of one of the links in that article?

Brewers including Anheuser also plan some new beers in addition to new packaging. Anheuser intends to test Budweiser Select 55 -- a brew with just 55 calories -- in several markets later this year, as it tries to compete better with MillerCoors's MGD 64, a 64-calorie brew that is off to a strong start. Mass-market brews such as Bud Light, Miller Genuine Draft and Budweiser are roughly in the 100 to 140 calorie range.

Bud Select 55? Ugh.

Editor's pick, because what self-respecting wealthy person would drink--gasp--beer???

That's what the lowlifes drink. Smell my snifter of port. Does it smell like shame, poor person?

Seems as though the device is supposed ro carb the flat beer as is passes through the spigot. Interesting. I will have to try this thing out, if for no better reason than to try it out. Now to find someone who will drink this crap...

I emailed the author with a very polite rebuttal to his points and this is what I just got back from him (I made a joke about how popular his article is quickly becoming):

I'm not sure popular is the right word for this article. Well read, yes. Popular, no. Since I do quite a bit of writing there will be times like these when I do offend a certain segment of the population. In this case the beer crowd seems to be taking me to task for stating that all beers taste the same. Frankly my comment was meant to be a bit of a throw away. Unfortunately it was poorly written. I may have written micro-breweries, but should have left out the micro. In fact, I was using micro with a different context that I ultimately deleted. What I did not change was the micro to large. Thus my point that large, cheap beer mostly tastes the same and indeed should be consumed from a bottle. Anyway that point was now lost. Perhaps a beer summit is needed as a follow-up to this post. Thanks for your feedback on beer. I can assure you I enjoy crafted beer as well as the next guy and I can indeed tell the difference. Best of luck.

I stopped reading at

Now, with beer, the box might be less objectionable since, in my opinion, the quality issue is not really in play. Despite what the microbrewers will tell you, all beer is pretty much the same. Consumers who pay a premium do so more for the experience than the taste.

next can we get someone that has never rode a motorcycle to review the newest Harley model?

I emailed the author with a very polite rebuttal to his points and this is what I just got back from him (I made a joke about how popular his article is quickly becoming):

I'm not sure popular is the right word for this article. Well read, yes. Popular, no. Since I do quite a bit of writing there will be times like these when I do offend a certain segment of the population. In this case the beer crowd seems to be taking me to task for stating that all beers taste the same. Frankly my comment was meant to be a bit of a throw away. Unfortunately it was poorly written. I may have written micro-breweries, but should have left out the micro. In fact, I was using micro with a different context that I ultimately deleted. What I did not change was the micro to large. Thus my point that large, cheap beer mostly tastes the same and indeed should be consumed from a bottle. Anyway that point was now lost. Perhaps a beer summit is needed as a follow-up to this post. Thanks for your feedback on beer. I can assure you I enjoy crafted beer as well as the next guy and I can indeed tell the difference. Best of luck.

So, he admitted that he is incompetent as a journalist. I'm still not sure that he realises just HOW totally mind-numbingly batcrap crazy incompetent he is! :D

They actually sell those around here. It's illegal to sell a keg of beer to the general public, so the liquor stores have to sell these instead. A lot of people buy them for parties. Think a box of wine, but it holds several gallons of beer.

I guess if you like crappy BMC from a poorly pumped keg, you would like this box beer too.

Back