bavarian hefe secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally tend not to use a secondary unless I know I won't be drinking it for a really long time. My advise would be to take a gravity reading. When you hit your final gravity crash cool for a day or two and then bottle/keg.

Cheers...

do i need to transfer inton a secondary and if so when

Hefes are best drunk young. I'd even bottle/keg as soon as FG stabilizes and drink when carb'd--my current kristalweizen was less than 3 weeks boil to belly, naturally carbed in bottle--and as a kristal, I had to rack onto gelatin for 48 hours of crash cooling. A hefe obviously doesn't want that.

I don't secondary a hefeweizen - 2 weeks in fermenter then straight into bottling bucket. I even purposely try to pick up some extra yeast in the siphon so I have enough sediment in the bottles to swirl back up into the beer before pouring. It's part of the style, and an important one IMO (hefe meaning yeast and all).

I don't secondary a hefeweizen - 2 weeks in fermenter then straight into bottling bucket. I even purposely try to pick up some extra yeast in the siphon so I have enough sediment in the bottles to swirl back up into the beer before pouring. It's part of the style, and an important one IMO (hefe meaning yeast and all).

Seconded. Especially the part regarding having yeast to pour into the glass. Mighty tasty, especially with WLP300.

x5 for no secondary for Bavarian Hefe. 3 weeks from yeast pitch to belly.

its amazing how fast hefe's go (go down I mean). I just finished a 5 gal batch in 3 weeks (mainly just me). I just couldn't lay off it.:mug:

Got a 10 gal batch in primary now!!!

Back