Bottle storing Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweeneydawg

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch (ale), just bottled and capped last night, immediately stored in the fridge overnight due to an oversight in the directions... I have now taken them out after about 16 hrs of fridge time. My question is: will the beer still carbonate, is this a salvageable mistake, did I just kill whatever yeast was left, should I have just left it in the fridge? any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Just guessing, but I think you will probably be ok..just get them to 70 degree-ish temp. Give them a gentle swirl and wait.

Yeah, your yeast are fine. Many cold crash for days at temps right above freezing prior to bottling, (to increase clarity), with no effects on carbonation.

Yeah you're fine. Just let them warm up and let them condition for 1-2 weeks before you put one back in the fridge. When you do, let it stay at least 3 days to get the carbonation into the beer and then try it. If by chance it doesn't seem ok, which I'm sure it will, stir the other bottles around a bit to get the yeast into suspension and wait another week.

I give them 3-4 weeks at room temp to carb & condition. Especially since yours will need to come back up to 70F or so before the yeast get active again. Then a week in the fridge to settle any chill haze & get co2 into solution.

Back