Apple Lightning (AppleJack)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazie151

Reaction score
I decided to make an AppleJack, and wanted it smooth and tasty. This is a drink to warm you up and get you hammered FAST! It goes down incredibly smooth, and tastes great! My friend and I got blitzed on this stuff last night while concentrating it and woke up feeling refreshed and great with no hangover, so I decided I HAD to post this recipe. The name is a play on Jersey Lightning, and it's incredibly easy to make. His SWMBO even downed a glass and said it was delicious.

Ingredients;
10 cans pasteurized frozen apple juice concentrate, I used WalMart brand
1/2 lb brown organic sugar
1 lb table sugar (sucrose)
4 1/2 gallons distilled or RO water
Yeast
Sweetener for back-sweetening (I used Stevia)

Instructions;
Make your starter with a tablespoon of Apple juice concentrate in a liter of water at room temp, with a teaspoon of each brown sugar and table sugar. Aerate by vigorously shaking it for a couple minutes, then pitch the yeast to your starter. Cover with a piece of foil with holes in it, put the starter in a pan of slightly warmer water filled to about halfway up the starter, and swish it around every 15-20 minutes for an hour. You should have a very pronounced bread smell and see larger bubbles forming in your starter; that's when it's ready.

Add 2 gallons of cold water to your primary (I poured all liquids except the yeast from shoulder height to increase oxygenation). Warm up the 10 cans of apple juice concentrate in a 6qt+ size pan with the brown sugar and table sugar, and stir until clear. Keep on the heat an additional 45 seconds (do not boil), then rapidly cool by pouring it into the primary. Top off with room temp water until full, then pitch the yeast. Cover and airlock, I recommend a blow off tube; this will ferment very fast if you used a starter. Ferment between 70-72F if your using the same yeast I used. Otherwise, check your yeast's optimum fermenting range, and ferment in the low end of that range.

Once dry (mine took 7 days and the airlock activity was down to 1 bubble per minute) cold crash it (I got impatient here and only cold crashed for 1 day), then rack off the sediment into your bottling bucket. At this point it will taste good but weak, without enough of that rich pronounced apple flavor, and will still be cloudy; this is intentional since we will be concentrating it. Begin freeze concentrating the cider however you prefer; I used 2 liter bottles of the brew in my freezer with bags of ice around them. About every hour or so, there will be enough ice formed to drain the deeper and richer golden Apple Lightning into another container, leaving behind the ice (I used Mason jars for this). Once it gets to the ABV and taste you want, you can back-sweeten it and clear it up. For back-sweetening I used 10mg of pure Stevia extract powder per oz of Apple Lightning, which ended up being about 1.5 grams per pint. Of course, this is all to taste, so sweeten with your preferred sugar to taste. I didn't bother trying to clear it, and actually prefer the way it looks (it looks like an incredibly dark and rich apple cider, and the taste reminds me of the sparkling apple juice carried by supermarkets in the winter time). If you wanted to clear it at this point, I would suggest gelatin, since the majority of the haze is from the cold crashing. Once its sweetened and cleared to your liking, serve below 0F over a single ice cube, and stir with a cinnamon stick. Be careful not to drink too much of this stuff; it's sneaky.

A couple notes about specific instructions;
I used distilled water on purpose. I didn't want the flavors of the minerals in water after concentrating to be evident in the final Apple Lightning. I'm in FL and we have very hard water here; even with a filter system there's still plenty of calcium and magnesium in the water that I didn't want in the drink. Because freeze concentrating will bring out EVERY flavor in the beverage, those minerals would have provided an off-taste at the end. So distilled or RO water is very important in this recipe.

The apple concentrate I used specifically because it was the blandest I've ever had. For the same reason above, I chose this deliberately. Don't worry, you will be able to taste the apples in the end. And just a tiny bit of flavor from the brown sugar as well.

Temps low on the yeast's recommended range will provide less potential off-flavors or unwanted alcohols like methanol that you don't want concentrated in this. Those concerns are also why I used so little sugar and made a lower ABV initial brew; yeast pushed into higher and higher ABVs have the problems of off-tastes and unwanted alcohols that might be fine in a 5 gallon batch, but make the final Apple Lightning taste horrible (like many of the threads I read on here where an initially good tasting beverage was disgusting and undrinkable when condensed).

I say not to boil the concentrate because it's already pasteurized, and I feel waiting to cool the liquid has a higher chance to introduce infection than simply making sure everything is sanitary in the first place. The other reason is because table sugar (sucrose) helps to provide a small amount of the cider taste in the end without having to age it, and you don't want to accidentally convert the sugar to an invert solution of glucose and fructose by boiling it. I know usually this takes time without cream of tartar or citric acid, but this worked very well and boiling it isn't really necessary unless you forget to keep everything sanitized. I used a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol and sanitized everything I was using along the way, rinsing with distilled water every step.

I did not try to add the cinnamon flavor until to the end fearing it would be too overpowering in the Apple Lightning after concentration, which is why I recommend serving it with a cinnamon stick which gives it just a hint of cinnamon flavor at the end. This is also why I didn't try to clear it by adding Sparkolloid or gelatin before cold crashing. If you want to try to get it clear using those methods, wait until after your done concentrating the brew into Apple Lightning, then clear it using those methods based on the finished quantity you have left afterwards. If you were to clear it, flavor it, or sweeten it prior to concentrating it, I assure you it would turn out horrible.

Other yeasts can definitely be tried, and if you do leave notes. The only champagne yeast my LHBS had when I went there was WLP715, so this is what I've been using/washing/etc with ciders and fruit beverages for a little while now. The starter I described works VERY well for this type of yeast, and I've gotten airlock reactions up to 10 bubbles per second only 12-24 hours after pitching the starter, so I swear by this yeast and this method.

Serving notes;
The colder this is, the better it tastes. I tried it carbed by injecting it with CO2 from a tank using a Carbonator cap, and decided that prior to jacking it (I sweetened some of the cider to drink while I was doing this) it's better carbed, but the final Apple Lightning tasted best to me flat. Also, the ice cube helps dilute the drink as it sits out, so people that can't drink it straight can let it sit for a few, and the cinnamon stick really makes the flavors pop. It truly is delicious.

Last note about unwanted alcohols and achieving a higher yield;
If you wanted to make a higher ABV initial brew by adding several pounds of white table sugar or dextrose at the beginning, I don't think it would change the flavor much, and you would get a much higher yield of Apple Lightning. I plan on doing this for my next batch to try it out. Don't use more brown sugar though or else the brew will have too much flavor from it. Sucrose and dextrose will leave behind little to no flavor, and it will mix in properly, whereas more brown sugar will leave an overpowering off-taste to the final Apple Lightning. To solve the problem of unwanted alcohols from brewing a higher ABV batch, the temperature of the final Apple Lighting could be raised to 170F to allow the unwanted alcohols to evaporate out, or it could possibly be ran through a 4a molecular sieve to achieve the same result, though I have no experience with this at all.

Next batch I make I will add gravity readings. I broke my hydrometer and haven't gotten a replacement yet. This is one of 2 brews made specifically because the gravity readings weren't really that necessary or important since your concentrating the majority of it anyway, and the final ABV is dependent on your final freezing temperature.

4B914BD1-AE1E-4B29-A5DE-3040A88AFC1E-31695-000008DBF97477C7.jpg

I used WLP715, which imparts very little to no flavor on it's own, and can get the ABV up to ~12% depending on how much sugar it has to work with. Other wine, champagne, or London ale yeasts would probably work just as well. If you want to maximize the initial alcohol content just add more sucrose (table sugar). Throw in 5 lbs of sugar and you'd be at a much higher initial alcohol content, so the 5 gallon batch would yield quite a bit more finished Apple Lightning, though it might taste like "hot" wine or hooch and need to age to mellow back out. Remember, after concentrating you'll be at 20-25% or 40-50 proof depending on how cold your freezer is, regardless of your initial ABV or what yeast was used. For my batch, my friends and I were drinking it both before and after concentrating it, and I didn't want ANY chance of unwanted alcohols, so for both those reasons I started with a lower ABV before concentrating. It worked VERY well, and tasted amazing. I kept getting "it tastes like apple juice" (back-sweetened), or "it's just like champagne" (forced carbed). The lower initial ABV meant more of the flavor was being concentrated while increasing the ABV as well, so it didn't taste like hooch or wine.

Another great way to serve this is with a splash of cranberry cocktail juice; it's delicious and lets you back-sweeten (and lower the ABV) by the glass for SWMBO. With some cranberry the ABV goes back to a high ABV wine, which is much more tolerable than the ABV of the finished Apple Lightning, which would lay you (and her) out too fast. I personally do the opposite though; I'm a gin drinker, and have taken a liking to a shot of gin, 2 oz sierra mist, and 2 oz Apple Lightning. I can and have downed a whole glass at once just because of how good it tastes. And after 2 or 3 I'm good and anti-sober.

Thanks, I was considering using one of the white labs super gravity yeast to shoot for 20%, cold distill, and heat it to burn off the methanol, then oak casking. Shooting for nearly moonshine ABV, so flavor is secondary.

How long did it take to start bubbling. I added 1 1/2lb of sugar. This is my first batch of applejack. Hope it turns out good.

blazie151, thanks for the great informative post. There are many who will benefit from your experience. I too like apple jack and have tried many different recipes. I tend to like my apple jacks sweet, so I don't ferment out all the sugar before freezing. Since both alcohol and high sugar syrups freeze at a rather low temperatures, I get an apple flavored schnapps like product that is very smooth and incredibly sneaky. If I want cinnamon or other flavoring in a batch, I put the ground spice in a coffee filter and pour a little apple jack over it. Warning: a very little, rather tiny, almost insignificant amount of cinnamon goes a long way when extracted with alcohol. I learned the hard way, and too much cinnamon tastes like crap and gives me heartburn. And of course, YMMV. :)

StoutLover, I am willing to help you, but would you please re-form your question? Which of the above # post are you asking about?

"If you were to clear it, flavor it, or sweeten it prior to concentrating it, I assure you it would turn out horrible."

I backsweetened my last batch of applejack before concentrating it.. I still came out great. Didn't notice any sort of off flavors. Plus, if you want a clear product, just let the wine clarify on it's own before you concentrate it. That's what I did. The final product of applejack also came out crystl clear.

Remember, the better the product is before you concentate it, the better your end product will be. The good is concentrated and the bad will be concentrated, too.

I'm trying slightly less than 2 gallon batch of this. Finished a few minutes ago.

3-12oz appletree concentrates.
12 oz turbinado sugar - what I had
added liquified mango, strawberry and orange I had leftover from lunch, blended and equalling about 10 oz.
about 1 and 2/3 gallons of water added
Hydrated a little less than 1/2 package of Redstar Cuvee
tossed in a little yeast nutrient, because why not.
Lots of stirring

had about 2" of headspace in my 2 gallon pale and a 3 piece airlock. Hope it doesn't runneth over.

How about taking your finished AppleJack and hitting it with an apple pie recipe like you would do for moonshine? Clawhammer has a pretty simple apple but tasty apple pie recipe that could be tried or altered to taste. You can watch that video here.

The recipe is basically:
- One can of Apple Juice Concentrate
- 1/4 Cup of Brown Sugar
- One Cinnamon Stick
Combine all the ingredients, bring to a boil and then drop the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, then add the AppleJack (about a quart). After Cooling bottle it back up and you have Apple Pie AppleJack.

I realize that AppleJack is different from Moonshine or Everclear but it could still be tasty. I've also heard of a couple of different instances where AppleJack has been aged on some toasted oak chips or even Jack Daniels Wood Chips for grilling. Just an idea =)

I made another batch of Apple Jack this week. I prefer 2 liter bottles as they will stand well in a tall glass when inverted. Because I didn't take notes, I had 4 bottles of different strengths. I did let them ferment all the way out, and I didn't hydro them either. The last few times I made AJ, I didn't let them ferment all the way dry, this time I did and the difference in alcohol was very noticeable. I was expecting his this sort of golden, sweet, "syrup" like I had gotten before, It didn't happen. Out of 8 quarts pre frozen, at present I have 2 quarts or so of run off back into the freezer to see what will turn out. After initially decanting from the bottles, I let them melt and returned to the freezer. Even though the liquid may be clear, there is still a little alcohol left in the ice to make adult slushies with. :) I do prefer the schnapps like quality of the previous batches, and I may make a little concentrated sugar syrup to add as I know there will be no further fermentation. I have both Apple and Apricot extracts, and it is amazing how much more delicious and pronounced the apple flavor becomes when a little Apricot extract is added. I have still been playing with adding Apple extract too, but I apparently haven't hit the right quantity/strength yet.

Edit: blazie.. I didn't see what your final quantity was, I must have missed it. What was your ending volume?

Just add a bottle or 2 of apple brandy to your cider and there's your applejack as apple brandy is the modern apple jack.:ban:

Latest posts

Back