CO2 Hop Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threephase

Reaction score
So I have a clone of Heady Topper going in primary right now and once I rack into secondary I really don't want that yeast cake going to waste. I was hoping to do a quick extract brew to take advantage of this amazing yeast (doing a peaches and cream ale, mmmmm Conan).

The only thing is I have maybe a 2 hour window to do the brew. So obviously not doing an AG brew, my first extract in a while. I was hoping to go from start to finish in under an hour and a half; keeping boil time to 20 minutes or less. I was going to use CO2 Hop extract for the bittering. Does anyone have an experience with using Hop Extract at this short of a boil time? Does it impart a strong hop flavor? Less bitterness than if used in 60+ minute boil?

Thanks

Do you mean actual hop extract, like hop oil, or the kind of liquid malt extract that is pre-hopped?

Is CO2 the brand name? I've honestly never heard of Carbon Dioxide Hop Extract.

Also known as Hop-Jizz, HopShot; they use supercritical CO2 to extract the alpha-acids, beta-acids and essential oils. I was just wondering if anyone had used these in a short amount of boil time and what the bitterness/flavor was when used in this manner.

With a 20 min boil you just are not going to have enough time to drive enough DMS, you will most likely end up with a good rolling rock clone, or something reminiscent to cooked cabbage.

There are pre-isomerized hop extracts too that don't require boiling to add bitterness, but I don't know if they are available to homebrewers.

With a 20 min boil you just are not going to have enough time to drive enough DMS, you will most likely end up with a good rolling rock clone, or something reminiscent to cooked cabbage.

There are pre-isomerized hop extracts too that don't require boiling to add bitterness, but I don't know if they are available to homebrewers.

DMS is only a problem for AG as the extract is preconveted and boiled down to a syrup.

To the OP. 20min boil will not get you much bitterness youll have tons of fruity/earthy/spicy hop but not much bitterness unless you use a ton of it, which IMO would be a waste. Save the hop shot for the next clone. Bring to a boil and add and oz of your fav hop at 20 and 15 and then up to 2 oz at both 5 and flameout.

It will leave you with a really nice floral IPA/PA

Cheers!
Less bitterness than if used in 60+ minute boil?

Yes it will be as bitter as a beer that only has 20 and less additions
You use hopshot like any other hop, its just void of the vegetal matter making it great for bittering huge DIPAs.

Also known as Hop-Jizz, HopShot; they use supercritical CO2 to extract the alpha-acids, beta-acids and essential oils. I was just wondering if anyone had used these in a short amount of boil time and what the bitterness/flavor was when used in this manner.

Yeah, I wasn't aware that hop extract was available on a retail basis, I think it is only a commercial product. You aren't going to find many homebrewers with hands-on experience.

Yeah, I wasn't aware that hop extract was available on a retail basis, I think it is only a commercial product. You aren't going to find many homebrewers with hands-on experience.

AFAIK it's been available to homebrewers for at least a year. i've only used it at 60mins, but it seems like it should work fine, tho you'd probably be better off just using something like magnum/warrior. unless it specifies otherwise, it is generally made from CTZ

Excellent! Thanks for the info!

I would wash the yeast; but I have a bunch frozen so its not about keeping it for a later time. I just want to put it to use right away; I want to brew something quick and simple to give out (keep the flavorful all-grain brews to myself ;) )

Check out hoptech they have Iso Alpha Extract that can be added at any time. I used it for a beer a few months ago. It was a very clean bitterness. BTW I added it after the beer was finished fermenting.

I've done a number of quick boil extract beers that have ended up plenty bitter. Never used co2 hop extract, but here's a recipe for a 15-minute boil Amarillo Pale Ale that I made that turned out great. It's based on a thread on this site called "15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale". I changed the hops and schedule a bit, but again, the hop bursting method works well and you're left with a beer that certainly does not lack bitterness.

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.009

6lbs Light Dry Malt Extract
.25 lbs Crystal 40
.5 lbs Corn Sugar

2.5oz Amarillo 8.5% AA at 15 min
1oz Amarillo 8.5%aa at 5 min
1oz Amarillo at flameout
30 minute hop stand

Safale US-05 yeast

Back