Need help for partial mash !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francoeura22

Reaction score
I'm planning to do a partial mash, someone got me an easy recipe. It says to start with 7,6 L of water at 66 degree for 30 min. My question here is : does it matter if i put more water ?? Like 12 L ?? Its for a 19l batch.

From what I've read on here and has worked great for me is using 1.5 qts. Water Per pound of grain. Sorry not doing the conversion to metric. (I think a qt. is about a liter). I'm assuming you'll be using about 5 lbs of grain?

I'd mash at the recipe rate, then sparge with the water you need to reach boil volume.

Too dilute can cause problems in mash, but the big sparge will give you high efficiency.

I steep my grains in about 1 1/2 gallons of water at about 160 for 30 minutes . Seems to work just fine for partial mash kits any way . 1-1.5 quarts to pound is good . I usually do not sparge a steep . I just put the grains in a bag and then I stir while it is steeping to get out all the good stuff.
Personally I do not think that steeping your grains in more water will hurt anything . How ever if you plan on mashing them then it may make a difference if you use too much . I use about 2 quarts for a pound in my mash tun.

How much grain are you using ?

There are extract with steeping grain kits,then there's partial mash kits. They are not the same. Just thought I'd mention that. Steeping water amounts are usually too much for mashing.

that's the recipe they gave me:

5 lbs of Golden DME
7 oz of 70-80 H.Bairds Malt
1,5 oz of Kent Golding Alpha 5,27 % (Boil)
1 oz of Kent Golding Alpha 5,27 %
0,5 oz of Kent Golding Alpha 5,27 % (dry Hop)
1 tablet of ''Carragénine'' ( don' know the english term)
Yeast: Fermentis s-04

Steep the 70-8 Malt in 8 Qt at 150.8 for 30 Min
Add the DME and the 1,5 oz of Kent Golding and Boil for 45 Min
Add the 1 oz of Kent Golding and the Tablet of ''Carragénine'' crushed in powder and boil for 15 min
Add 7 qt of cold water in the primary fermenter then pour the wort in.
Add the needed amount of cold water to get to 5 gallons.
Let it cool down the add the yeast.

after one week in the primary , rack it to secondary then dry hop the 0,5 oz of Kent Golding.

i'm using a 19,5 Qt Stainless steel pot.

my problem is that my thermometer is broken :S
i only have a candy thermometer in backup but if i only use 8 qt of water for the steeping part, the thermometer is not even near to touch the water :S. So i'm wondering if i can put more water. Then i'll only have to put less cold water in the primary after that. I'm i wrong ?

another question : what ABV should i expect ? and is that really a British Pale Ale ?

thanks, newbie here willing to learn !! :)

That is a Hugh Baird's crystal malt. So this is an extract recipe with steeping grains, not a partial mash. I wouldn't worry too much about the volume or getting an exact temp.

Edit: to your other questions, 5 lb of DME in 5 gallon water will give you about 1.044-1.045. So probably about 4.2-4.6 % ABV depending on where you finish. Looks like a British pale to me.

Thanks for the answer! Tought it was partial mash... Any idea for my next brew ?? The easiest partial mash you know for a begginer ?

And correct me if i'm wrong but i think That carragenine is irish Moss ?

Yes, sounds like the same thing or similar. As far as your next brew, what would you like to drink? There are lots of recipes on the forum and folks can help you convert pretty much anything to partial mash.

Yes, sounds like the same thing or similar. As far as your next brew, what would you like to drink? There are lots of recipes on the forum and folks can help you convert pretty much anything to partial mash.

i'm looking for something like Grolsch or anything close to bittburger. A german should be fine

Well, I should have probably said pick anything but a lager if you are just starting out - which those are. Lagers are a bit more difficult as far as fermentation, meaning you need to pitch a big starter of yeast, have the ability to ferment around 50 degrees then lager the beer close to freezing. Maybe a cream or blonde ale, or a kolsch instead? Those would be under the light hybrid category in the recipe database. Or you could get a kit from somewhere like Austin hombrew, I think they do almost all of their kits as a mini-mash version.

There are extract with steeping grain kits,then there's partial mash kits. They are not the same. Just thought I'd mention that. Steeping water amounts are usually too much for mashing.

guess I never paid any attention to that . I think I always get the steeping kits .

Latest posts

Back