Too early to taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAbs

Reaction score
I had my beer ferment for 17 days. Bottled it 4 days ago and I'm itching to try it out. I know it's early but I just wanna know, will it even be carbonated?

It might be somewhat carbonated. Try to hold off for a couple more days if you can. Put a single bottle in the refrigerator on Friday night and open it Saturday night. Let the rest have at least another week, 2 if you can stand it and it will be better. The length of time they need for maturing is dependent on both the amount of alcohol and the darkness of the brew with higher alcohol/darker brews taking much longer to get good.

It wont be ready yet...BUT.....there is nothing wrong with trying (1) that way you will have a baseline at 4 days to compare it to when it is ready....I wait at least 3 weeks myself....but when I started brewing I would tate A beer every week after bottling just to taste for myself how the conditioning changes each week.

Just don' be dissappointed if it isnt what you were hoping for after such a short time....it will get better

Alright I can do that. The beer I brewed is black dog ale 4.3% from Midwest.

You'll hear most people say 3 weeks minimum, but I've had beers taste great after 1 week in the bottle (I gave them a couple days in the fridge too). I've never tried as early a 4 days though. You'll probably get more yeast flavor and less carbonation than if you wait 2 or 3 weeks. I'd say wait as long as possible, maybe go grab some new beers to try and distract yourself.

Chill it a full 24-48 hours to get as much CO2 into the cold liquid as possible. It definitely won't have much, if any, carbonation at four days bottling time. Don't be disappointed in this or the beer. Just let it sit and sample one a week for about three to four weeks. I bet by the end of four weeks bottle time, you'll have plenty of carbonation and some very fine beer on your hands. If it lasts that long. :)

Keep brewing newbie brewer, you're doing fine!

I brewed that kit a couple years ago. I didn't care much for the flavor of it but dang, I brewed it and I was going to drink it. Before I finished it I had developed a taste for it but then I was out. Today the memory of it drove me to brew it again, this time all grain. I'll let you know in 6 weeks how it turns out.

My first beer was kinda gross...for a long time. Just cracked open one after it had sat for about 3 months. So much better. Fortunately my second brew was much much better and cleaned up/conditioned faster in the bottle.

Its definately worth trying them early to check on how things are coming, but you run out of the brew faster that way too :(.
Of course then you just have to go brew more. Its a rather brutal cycle :)

Back