Christmas Cookies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazedowl

Reaction score
**Long post but worth it**
I made a spreadsheet (and linked it) that makes mass-cookie making a breeze. I was sick of going shopping and ending up with an extra bag of one thing, but being short and having to go back out for something else. So here is my method for making a zillion and one cookies with out going absolutely insane.

1) First, change the top line where it says batch and it will automatically scale all the recipe ingredients to meet your batch size. Set to one to see what one batch size is. If you don't like a verity, just set it to zero. Don't delete it because, hey, you never know.

2) It then tallies up how much of all the ingredients you need. But when you go to the store it's not very useful to know you need 54 cups of flour and 21 eggs and 30 Hershey Kisses. So I set it up to convert all those cups and teaspoons, into a shopping list. How many 5lb bags of flour, how many 3lb tubs of Crisco, how many bags of Hershey Kisses to make shopping for exactly how much you need a breeze. You'll be shocked how little you need of some things.

3a) When it comes time to cook, just click to scroll to the right. The spreadsheet will line up the recipe with the ingredient list for easy reading.

3b) Let me just say that I don't stand on ceremony. None of this "mix the dry ingredients then blend in the blah blah blah" crap. Throw it all in a bowl, mix thoroughly with your hands, cover with plastic wrap, and throw in the fridge overnight to make it easy to work with. when making several kinds, get out a bowl for each batch, measure out the flour in each, then the sugar in each, (and so on), then mix each in turn. Most of the batches are similar enough that you don't even need to wash hands in-between. Quick and easy. Then you can layer them in one or two bowls with plastic wrap in between to conserve fridge space.

3c) Don't judge. I have never heard a complaint when I hand/mail out these baked bundles of sugared goodness.

4) Make a cocktail and spend a day scooping and running batches in the oven. I use one of those like ice-cream style dough scooper thingers. I included cook times but did all I could to find recipes with the same temperature and similar cooking times. Watch your cookies when you switch batches to get the right time. It's better to slightly undercook than overcook every time.

5) There's so many other kinds of cookies out there that you all love PLEASE share your recipes with me so I can add them to the spreadsheet and have the ultimate-cookie-calculating-spreadsheet of glory.

6) Done now :)

Fantastic job and nice write up. I´m metric so the spredsheat it´s confusing for me. Good job sir.

haha Good point. I can whip up a metric version, but alas, I don't know what metric sized packages most of the items come in at the store. If you can get me the normal sizes I can do a metric column. It'd be super easy to google the conversions and put it in. Shouldn't exclude the vast majority of people who don't use backwards US measures.

Ok now I'm all fired up to make a metric converted sheet.

For measuring ingredients I'm guessing:
a) Liquids would be ml?
b) solids/powders are grams/kg?

Don't know what size they are in the store though. Help me out there and I'll whip up metric sheet.

Ok added a metric version tab at the bottom. If any of my conversions seem like crazy off let me know. The shopping list at the bottom of that page is pretty much worthless. haha.

I'll have to tweak some of the recipes. The some of the dough was a little dry so I had to spruce it up with extra eggs and a bit of milk.

Back