7th brew, 1st yeast starter - fermenting pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunjji

Reaction score
My 7th brew, a Belgian Dubbel and used my brand new "StirStarter" with one smack pk Wyeast 3522

Cooled to 70 deg, aerated the **** out of it and pitched my starter. Never had a krausen like this. You can see the tube where it went up into it, but next day it actually went into the jug of starsan.

Its also my first Partial Mash kit :rockin:
Direct pitching dry yeast only gave me like 1/2 inch to 1 inch of krausen.

Yeaststarter.jpg

Yeast seem to do what they want to do. I have made the same sized starters with the same yeast and pitched into very similar recipes. One will blow off and the other will make a very small krausen - go figure!

Thanks guys...

Got an other question on this same batch. Its been 8 days in primary and still has a thick layer of krausen, at least I think it is, it may just be a foamy layer. I dont know, my first time with a krausen this big.
I took a gravity reading and came up really low at 1.005

Recipe says
SG: 1.048-1.052
FG: 1.010-1.012

My SG: 1.054
Today: 1.005

Planning on racking to secondary today to let it age.
So I guess my question is... is the "FG" ok being this low? I dont know if its even an FG yet.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Gun

Yes it's ok. Sounds great! It will just be a higher ABV than expected. If you want to slow down & stop fermentation. Cold crash your secondary

Thanks Desertpunk, im relieved!

If I stop fermentation.... if its not done already, by cold crashing, wont it start back up when bottle conditioning and over carbonate?

Maybe a little, but as low as you got it already, I doubt the yeast have much left in them. A lot of the full yeasts will die in cold crash, while a few others will hibernate as expected. They should come back to life when adding priming sugar which gives you your carbonation.

You may have a problem. Your FG is 1.005 down from 1.052, that's a lot of attenuation. You may have a wild critter in there. I say rack off some and have a taste.

I tasted the sample I took for hydro reading. Doesnt taste like beer, well maybe a little but its kinda fruity. I fermented within Wyeast recommendations. I did it at 68-70 with a ferm-wrap and temp controller. Said those temps create some great esters.

Down to 1.005 in 4 days? Is there a lot of non malt extract sugars in there?

I tasted the sample I took for hydro reading. Doesnt taste like beer, well maybe a little but its kinda fruity. I fermented within Wyeast recommendations. I did it at 68-70 with a ferm-wrap and temp controller. Said those temps create some great esters.

With the ferm wrap on, how did you measure the temps? I suspect possibly too high temps wrapped up like that.

Today makes 8 days

Recipe for this Partial mash was
3.3lb LME
1lb Belgian candy sugar
6lb Belgian pils malt
4oz Aromatic
4oz Biscuit
and hops

With temp probe taped to carboy.. Stick on thermometer nvr went over 70

Back