gfci circuit with welder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunmetal

Reaction score
I was going to run my elecric this weekend for my rig. 50 amp gfci mounted in the circuit panel, 6 guage wire with ground and a neutral. I wanted to run my welder off of the same circiut, of course not at the same time I brew. My brother brought up the question if the welder would cause a lot of false trips, etc. of the gfci. Doing research on the web has all kinds of answers. Some people say you can't do it, others say no problem. With so many pro diy'ers here, I am sure someone knows the answer.

depends on the welder. GFCI work by measuring any imbalance between electricity going out and coming back. A basic Stick welder (buzz box) does not isolate incoming and the welding circuit, allowing the ground as a return path which trips the GFCI. With MIG and TIG welders, it depends on the type. while i have not tested it out, the new electronic ones should run on GFCI.

A work around is replace the panel breaker with a regular 50 amp, use the GFCI 50 in a "spa disconect' with a cord you plug into the welding outlet.

Reviving an old thread here. Im trying to build a spa panel with 50 amp gfci from my 3 wire dryer outlet for portability and was wondering if I could use my welder 110-220v Everlast 140ST stick/tig off the 50 amp GFCI without isses? Also have a 115v lincoln MIG 140.

First, I doubt your dryer outlet is 50A capacity... probably 30A but you can check it by it’s breaker rating.

Second, every electrical appliance, including welders, will have their power requirements listed on a placard. Review the one on the welder - if it’s less than the circuit capacity you are good to go. I suspect if your welder is dual voltage it can run on a 220VAC 30A circuit.

My mig and stick welders run fine on gfci outlet. My 2hp mill trips it occasionally.

So my dryer outlet is only 30 amps, I should have said will my welders be ok using the GFCI off the 50 amp breaker. I appreciate the replies!! I think I’ll be good then just need to figure out how I’m going to wire this thing up

Back