Beerswap 2007: Lostforatime's beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfan

Nice Beaver....
Reaction score
I didn't see a post to review your beers and I really wanted to post some input. Please post the recipes (or tell me where they are if I'm being a dunce)

The Hefe:

Pronounced pffft when opening and served up with a nice 1/2" head. The head dissipated fairly quickly.

This one was very clear and I would have expected a bit more cloudiness from a hefe but not sure how bottling from the keg, with a beer gun, would have affected that.

First aroma was of banana and very strong and not much hop character. Of the other hefe's I have tried, I sensed a slight banana aroma but it was not very pronounced. The brew also tasted strongly of banana upon first sip. It wasn't unpleasant, but I have not had anything like it before so didn't have anything to reference to. Not sure what your recipe was but my first impression was that it may have fermented a bit too warm although as it currently sits, it would be a good summer brew.

After sitting for 15 minutes, there was a bit more maltiness to negate the strong banana taste and the hop character was more evident.

I have plans to do a hefe this spring so I would like to look at your recipe to see how mine compares pre-brew.

the Celebration clone:
Not much of a pop when I opened it so I was surprised when I had a 1" head when poured into a pilsner glass. I guess you did well with the new beer gun. The head persisted for 45 seconds so that was great.

the brew was nice & clear with a nice hop aroma. first taste was of the hop bitterness and not much malt follow up but the beer was extremely cold. I let it sit for 15 minutes, had a cracker and then re-tasted. Same hop bitterness initially, but the malt followed very nicely afterwards. This was a real well balanced brew once it warmed a bit which is what I would have expected with a Celebration clone. Overall, I loved this beer and so did SWMBO so please post the recipe so I can give it a go.

Great job. thanks for the brews.

Finally tried the Celebration clone tonight.

Pour: Very small pfft when I opened it. There was no head to speak of when I poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Great clarity and color, nice amber-reddish tone.

Aroma: Just an awesome, dense, dank hop smell wafting out of the glass. Really excellent.

Taste: A little sweet up front, then major hoppiness, and a good bitter finish. No major malt character to it, just lots of good green hops. No off flavors at all.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation was fairly low, and it had a light body, with a clean finish.

Overall: Other than the light carbonation, this seems like it pretty much nailed Sierra Nevada Celebration to me, with spot on character. Definitely something I can enjoy with my newfound hophead powers. Nice work!

Hefeweisen

Appearance Light Pfft. Light Straw color. Good Carb and Head Retention.

Aroma Strong Banana Nose

Taste Very light malt flavor really lets the Hefe yeast come through. Very light body.

Overall A good beer and very cleanly brewed, but IMHO I like a little more body.

Celebration Ale

Appearance Nice Amber color. Carbonation and Head Retention were a bit lacking, guessing due to Beer gun.

Aroma Beautiful Hop Aroma filled the nose

Taste Very strong spicy and floral hop flavor almost overpowering the malt. Light to med body.

Overall A good beer. Again IMHO I prefer a bit more body and maltiness. I guess I should have let your beers warm up a tad. From reading the previous posts, that let the maltiness of the brews come through a bit more. You live and learn. Thank you!

Just poured the Hefeweizen.

Appearance: Very light, golden yellow, not what I expected. Relatively clear for a wheat beer, although still some cloudiness.

Aroma: Major banana aroma. Some maltiness evident, but no hops.

Taste: Starts out with just a bite, then the banana comes through, some sweetness, then a bit more bitterness than I'd expect with a wheat beer, and then a very malty finish. Quite interesting, I like the bready quality, which is unlike anything I've achieved.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is fairly high, and the body is light, which accentuates the bite of the carbonation.

Overall: Not what I would call a standard hefeweizen, this seems more like a filtered krystalweizen almost. Overall, pretty tasty, but I think I would ease back on the bittering hops a bit. I'd like to see the recipe.

Thanks a lot for sharing your beers! :mug:

Sierra Nevada Celebration Clone

13 lbs. 2-row
1lb crystal 60
1/2 lb. crystal 120

1oz chinook 60 min pellets
1oz centennial 45 min pellets
1oz centennial 30 min pellets
1oz centennial 15 min whole
1oz cascade 0 min whole
1oz cascade dry
1oz centennial dry