Nutritional Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmcjudo

Reaction score
I recently visited a local nutrition store and found Nutritional Yeast. Can this be used in brewing to create alcohol?

In order to be good for the human, it IS alive. It would convert sugar to Co2 and Alcohol. Of course so does baker’s yeast. So… your guess is as good as mine.

It might be more like wild yeast and produce an interesting brew. Give it a shot on a small simple starter size batch and let us know.:drunk:

In order to be good for the human, it IS alive. It would convert sugar to Co2 and Alcohol. Of course so does baker’s yeast. So… your guess is as good as mine.

It might be more like wild yeast and produce an interesting brew. Give it a shot on a small simple starter size batch and let us know.:drunk:
nah, not from what i understand. it's real yeast, but not active. it's basically just a nice B vitamin kind of thing. there's other threads on the subject with more info.

I have taken a yeast and bacteria supplement in order to straighten up a bowl problem. It WAS alive and needed to stay refrigerated.

So, I guess they are BOTH available.

I recently visited a local nutrition store and found Nutritional Yeast. Can this be used in brewing to create alcohol?
My bad.

Yes, you can use baker's yeast. But, are you baking bread?

Go with a powdered brewer's yeast. It doesn't cost that much more. The way I see it is you wouldn't use a hammer to drive a screw. Sure, it might work, but a screwdriver would work a helluva lot better.

Yes, you can use baker's yeast. But, are you baking bread?

Go with a powdered brewer's yeast. It doesn't cost that much more. The way I see it is you wouldn't use a hammer to drive a screw. Sure, it might work, but a screwdriver would work a helluva lot better.

Lol, thank you for the analogy.

Many years ago, during my first brewing attempt (it was soo bad I don't even consider it brewing), my friends and I ended up using baker's yeast. None of us really had any idea what we were doing at all. Liquid bread is the nicest possible way I can phrase what we ended up with. It had alchohol in it, but good lord was it nasty.

Nutritional yeast by definition is dead yeast. It will not ferment anything, although it could provide food for viable yeast!

Bakers yeasts are isolated strains of brewers yeast. A better analogy would be to ask if you would eat feed corn instead of sweet corn.

Back